(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 7 years ago

No, it couldn't

People make pinside look bad with threads like this.

#52 7 years ago

I think it will be in top 10. Star Trek LE is a work of art and so is Ghostbusters LE. The art, the lights, the sounds and gameplay make it a contender to earn a top position in my collection. I know it is still in the honeymoon stage, but Ghostbusters LE gives you the full package. As the code matures this game will only get better. Ghostbusters is the shit!

#53 7 years ago

Great pin! No doubt. I played it at the Las Vegas Pinball Museum a couple of months ago. I was not happy with the general maintenance quality at the pinball museum (a little MillWax once in a while goes a LONG way…). Since Ghostbusters was BRAND new, it was playing VERY well. Don't go trading your TZ or TAF for this one though! The new Medieval Madness is AWESOME too (played one in Austin, TX www.pinballz.com ).

#54 7 years ago

The best? Seriously?

GB is a great pin, but different strokes for different folks. I happen to think Elvira Scared Stiff is one of best pins ever made. I also love Metallica, Monster Bash and the newest Star Trek. That is why we have the rating system so that an average across many opinions can shape the overall rating relative to other great pins. Btw, Bally's old Party Animal is one of my all time favorites, but it isn't even in the top 100!

#55 7 years ago

I just visited Robot City Games in Binghamton NY yesterday and played it a lot. If I had the money I'd buy one + a shaker motor And i'm not a big ghostbusters fan, I enjoyed the first movie but haven't cared for anything else... the PS3 game was alright. Its cool they got Ernie Hudson to voice the game, its too bad the other living cast members couldn't get out of promoting the new turd/reboot/remake whatever it was or is by doing voice over for this machine.

either way I think its very well done and a lot of fun to play. It doesn't really matter if its the best pin ever anyway (you can't really say what is and isn't unless you've played them all), if it is for you, thats all that matters. again, if I had the money or room I'd be a happy guy w/ it at home.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes its a real question. Tell me 10 pins that are better please.

The answer is completely subjective. What you like, someone else may hate.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The answer is completely subjective. What you like, someone else may hate.

It is subjective and everyone's opinion will vary as it should. We all don't like vanilla, some like chocolate and strawberry.

Games that are better than Ghostbusters in my opinion are X-MEN LE, Spiderman, STTNG and Metallica.

#58 7 years ago

There is no right or wrong answer.

TWDLE and GBLE are my two favorite pins of all time! GB will be another masterpiece if they finish off the code.

#59 7 years ago

God no. Maybe top 50...maybe

#60 7 years ago

Great theme, looks, sounds, and playfield. Too difficult for most, and frustrating. Still fun, but I think sounds alone get people more amped up on it than anything. Linear rules are frustrating. Playfield is more packed than most sterns. When I played it, I had fun, but was frustrated, and quickly lost hype for me after hearing same sounds/modes over and over. Best ever? No chance. Metallica is still the best stern IMO. I still put both jjp games above any stern too in all aspects. Gb will definitely be one of sterns best ever probably, but not compared to all machines in history. Just my opinion.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There is no right or wrong answer.
TWDLE and GBLE are my two favorite pins of all time! GB will be another masterpiece if they finish off the code.

Ultimately, the question is: do you have fun playing them? Right?

I can totally see how GB is a game that would be a blast to own and play. Very cool that you're enjoying it

#62 7 years ago

GB is not a 9.0 in my eyes because it is without a color display, more like a 8.5.
Where is the color??

#63 7 years ago

OK, Other than the display...Yes, Code, will make this even better.

How many people who feel negatively have logged 100 games on a Premium or LE?

I felt TZ, AC/DC, MET, and TWD, all were poor games, and sucked, until I put some into them, and code...

Once the Playfield issues are resolved, new code comes, and Premiums start flying out...I feel peoples views will change.

It does need code Polish, 100% to break further into the top 20, IMO. We have no idea how many changes are coming,

#64 7 years ago

NO.B66!! you'll see!!!

#65 7 years ago

its a very good pin issues aside. top 10 for me.

#66 7 years ago

The pro left me unsatisfied however as soon as I played a LE I ordered a premium. Totally different game in my opinion, that subway shot is just pretty darn cool and I dig the Ecto goggles. Hope they add some more ghosts perhaps a Vigo!

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, it couldn't
People make pinside look bad with threads like this.

Lol come on ....really? I dont think its really an unreasonable question. This pin has a great theme, great music, great sound, great art work, unbelievable light show, and its a blast to play. When you look at the whole package, this pin has alot going for it.

#68 7 years ago

Well mabey not best ever but what would I rather play mm,taf, afm or gble,gble for sure,just can't get enough of those manga slings and corresponding sound effects

#69 7 years ago

19zuzi (resized).jpg19zuzi (resized).jpg

#70 7 years ago

Haha... this thread. It's kind of troll bait. Short response:

1) It's a good game. I like hit
2) It's probably the most overhyped game ever
3) It may well be the best game with initial clear/playfield issues

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes its a real question. Tell me 10 pins that are better please.

Here's 100 pins that are better.

rd

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Whoa! powerfull arguement.

#73 7 years ago

top 10 ever made yes.....best even made no

#74 7 years ago

I have played the pro and the premium. I don't like to really think of games as #1 or #5 or #37. Instead I think of games as an A+, A, A-, B+, etc. I would say it is an A-. To me that translated to a #15 - #25 range... So my answer is: No, it is not the best pin ever...

#75 7 years ago

It's just a terrible game to play. Now I know that isn't important to everybody, especially those who just want something that looks cool and costs $6000-8000.

But the game is an absolute mess from a player standpoint. Some of the issues can be addressed in software (like cleaning up that atrocity of a multiball) but nothing is gonna save that playfield layout.

RD is right...there are literally hundreds of games that are better pinball games. I own 15 right now and each one of my games is better.

But admittedly a beat up Stern Stars might not look as impressive in a finished suburban basement as a brand new GBLE. It's about 20X more fun to play though.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 7 years ago

No.
Is it fair to a Stern Fan Boy (SFB) to say that this is the best pin of all time? Sure why not. Let the SFBs have their party...

Perspective.

A wise man once explained to me that you really have to rate games based on their era of release.

I'd say GB is 'Top-3 modern Stern' -- which is saying a LOT considering they have ~50 unique titles from 2000-2016 (not counting all the pro/prem/le/gold variations). If you are a modern Stern fan, then that may be helpful info.

If you are an early 80's solid state guy like I am, it's not important that I have GB ranked 19th best game of all time. No modern Stern will ever make my top-10 list ever as I value the style and nostalgia of early 80's games more...

I played GB a few times, and wasn't left with any cravings to return to it -- unlike Metallica, where I really like knocking down the 'borrowed-from-1981' EBD inline targets, and I'm always surprised with the variation and number of callouts - great theme immersion. It plays more like an 80's game to me.

The thing in GB where you take a long break, and play a guessing game, and your friends stand around and watch, and there's no pinball happening? That's a jaw dropper -- I still can't believe that made it in the game. Regardless, I think GB has a great look/feel. It's refreshing in design, and has a great spinner shot. I do wish the wide right narrow ramp shot was 1/8" wider. It's SO unmakeable, that the challenge aspect of the shot is not fun imo. I hope my opinion on that changes some day when I dial in the shot.

-mof

#77 7 years ago

Christ no.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But admittedly a beat up Stern Stars might not look as impressive in a finished suburban basement as a brand new GBLE. It's about 20X more fun to play though.

Stern Stars is about as much fun as you can have playing pinball with your buddies.

For an outlay of $500-$1000 bucks.

More proof that you do not need to blow $8000 USD to have fun with pinball.

There. I said it. Booooom.

rd

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You and RD both need to put the crack pipe down. I don't know WTF you guys are thinking. Just because you/we can pick up some POS beaters and have fun all day long doesn't mean it even compares to a GB.

I can have fun rolling steel pinballs down the hill outside of my house trying to hit shit plinko style, with an iced down case of beer, that doesn't make it "pinball better".

Stars?

GB kicks ass Who Dey Op, who dat?

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

RD is right...there are literally hundreds of games that are better pinball games. I own 15 right now and each one of my games is better.

The only one in that group that I'd agree with is NBAFB. But it ain't even close to GBLE all things considered.

Whatever floats your boat.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Stern Stars is about as much fun as you can have playing pinball with your buddies.

Agree.

Back in college, my roommates and I made a game out of the "You paused the DVD for too long, and now here's a stock screensaver of a 'DVD' logo that moves around the screen." We had been drinking perhaps a bit too much that evening, and forgot to turn off the dvd player and TV.

We'd bet on where on the screen the logo would pop to next. Good friends and a bit of alcohol go a long way.

BTW, your game collection and game room is kick-ass!

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and RD both need to put the crack pipe down. I don't know WTF you guys are thinking

Icey, Icey, Icey.

You need to come under your old mate RDs wing, and let the pinball zen course through your veins ...

One night in either my place, Nimblenuts place, odins place, or Levis place would get you singing our tune!

A bottle of Jack, two dozen Modelos, and a pin with 30 second ball times = PARTY TIME!!!

rd

#83 7 years ago

Some people like old ladies with dentures and no teeth. Gummies.

Some of my favorite times were with my old Intellivision game back in the early 80's. Baseball was awesome!

Coughlins' law "bury the dead, all they do is stink up the joint". What movie?

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

A bottle of Jack, two dozen Modelos, and a pin with 30 second ball times = PARTY TIME!!!
rd

As long as i don't end up crashing through the screen door! Sounds awesome.

Old school with buddies is a great thing.

I guess you can throw beer cans and bottles and not worry about breaking shit up right?

Odiner might care, disappointed that nimblenuts ain't around much.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As long as i don't end up crashing through the screen door! Sounds awesome.

See, with the $7000 left over from buying a mint Stars instead of GBLE, you can repair the screen door 100s of times!!

Win win win!!

rd

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

See, with the $7000 left over from buying a mint Stars instead of GBLE, you can repair the screen door 100s of times!!

I f ing love it RD!!

#87 7 years ago

AC/DC is the best pin. Stern won't top it

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

code is a bit too linear.

Quoted from Msch:

Just like attack from Mars and medieval madness.

Huh??

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe TZ is an exception.

Don't touch the door, Don't touch the door, Don't the door, Hon't t door, hont door, hondoor, Hodoor, Hodor, Hodor!!!

Hodor!

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Don't touch the door, Don't touch the door, Don't the door, Hon't t door, hont door, hondoor, Hodoor, Hodor, Hodor!!!
Hodor!

Poor old Hodor! Spent his whole life waiting to hold the door for the Stark kid. Hold Door!!!

rd

#91 7 years ago

I can love Carlene Carter so don't judge me.

Roadshow is top notch.

Re theme it, put Taylor Swift in there and you could sell that one for $15k easy. Just saying.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I upvoted you for this part of your comment (I haven't even played GB yet, can't judge your thoughts on the gameplay). Stars is a really great game, but I feel like a lot of people on this forum would struggle to appreciate it. Shout outs to Nimblepin for turning me onto it.

Quoted from rotordave:

One night in either my place, Nimblenuts place, odins place, or Levis place would get you singing our tune!

I feel like Odin's collection should be seen as a pilgrimage. Come on out Ice, we'll get shit faced and talk about old bullshit that just seems funny now. Also, I just want to say, who was right about Jplop after all that shit you gave me? Come drink with us and tell me how I was right!

Like I said, I haven't even played Ghostbusters. But I have at least two friends with Premiums on order, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I think rating and ranking pins is a silly exercise that doesn't interest me, so I really don't care where you put it. But if you think it's all that, then defend it. Tell us why. Don't just say "the art, the layout, the sounds, wow it's good".

You're saying it's the number one pinball of all time. That's amazing. There must be a lot of things about it that are cool that you can talk about. I haven't played it yet, sell me. What am I missing out on?

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

AC/DC is the best pin. Stern won't top it

I'm waiting for a game I want enough to sell my AC/DC Prem for. It doesn't excite me like other people. I still have some mods I want to design for it, so probably keep it at least until after that. But it's not bolted to the floor.

I get why other people like it, it's a real risk and reward game, and builds up potential and tension in great ways. And I do like it. But it's a desired game, and that means it's great trade bait for something cool, and I'm just not emotionally attached to it. My Metallica LE and Tron are staying, both of them are for me personally better games than ACDC, just in terms of what I enjoy playing.

The connection with the game is what it's all about, for me at least. No one else's opinion really matters when it comes to that, and that's why I think ranking the games is pointless. If you must do it then at least wait a bit though. What if you get bored with the linear mode progression after a while? Best pin ever has to have longevity, and who knows yet.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Icey, Icey, Icey.
You need to come under your old mate RDs wing, and let the pinball zen course through your veins ...
rd

Sounds about the same ball time you have on GB RD

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I feel like Odin's collection should be seen as a pilgrimage. Come on out Ice, we'll get shit faced and talk about old bullshit that just seems funny now. Also, I just want to say, who was right about Jplop after all that shit you gave me? Come drink with us and tell me how I was right!

Now that is what I'm talking about!. Jpop was a bad chapter in my life. I'll drink, laugh, and have a lot of fun with you Cali M f'ers.

At the end of the day, Pinball is about having fun with friends, and running through and tearing up Odin's screen door!

I will make the trek out there in the near future.

The Odin Mecca, a bucket list kind of thing.

#96 7 years ago

I do not think there is a best game ever. I have games from the 1970s through to 2016 and I love them all for different reasons.

#97 7 years ago

If I was more like O-din, I would start a thread title, "Could Stars Be The Best Pin Ever?"

I'm really loving the praise for Stars. I didn't know there were so many people like me that love that game. I also love that Stars has hijacked a GB thread.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd
» YouTube video

Thats an awesome collection, no denying it but I think a GB would be a top pin in your collection. You have alot of modern Sterns, what is it that makes you hate on Ghostbusters so much? Be honest.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and RD both need to put the crack pipe down. I don't know WTF you guys are thinking. Just because you/we can pick up some POS beaters and have fun all day long doesn't mean it even compares to a GB.
I can have fun rolling steel pinballs down the hill outside of my house trying to hit shit plinko style, with an iced down case of beer, that doesn't make it "pinball better".
Stars?
GB kicks ass Who Dey Op, who dat?

They are definitely smoking crack iceman lol. Unbelievable!!!

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Its good, but not MET good...

So I agree MET is a great game. I bought the LE right when it came out and at the time I only had 2 games so I played the crap out of it. I didn't move the outlanes all the way down and got extremely far in the game. However, at the end of the day, I grew tired of it and sold it. Now, I know that's common for all games. I feel Ghostbusters could be a little different. The game is obviously extremely challenging and the code is just "meh" so far. I think with updated code the game will be a true gem. Many were just saying MET was a good game until they had a chance to play it and so the legend grew.

I'm just saying, give GB a little more time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/2?hl=pinmagnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.