(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Earth to air pinball: they kind of suck. If a giant hole in the middle of the playfield was "supposed to be a nuisance" it wouldn't make it a desirable design feature.

and here I thought they were designed to eat dimes and quarters.

#502 7 years ago

Played a few hours of GBLE last night, drank a lot of beers, had a blast!

I love playing the ladders, I figure the scoring imbalance will get fixed with upcoming code

1 week later
#503 7 years ago

Finally got some time with my GBLE this weekend. I have # 498, no issues so far. My favorite Stern, by far! Only Stern I liked as much as my Bally/Williams games was SM. Not anymore.
Hope Stern keeps on putting subways on future games.
Hope game does not break too much either with all the crazy toys on it.
Great job Stern!

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Finally got some time with my GBLE this weekend.

So a brand new LE owner plays their game for the first in depth session and thinks it the best Stern ever?
Wow what are the chances?

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Finally got some time with my GBLE this weekend. I have # 498, no issues so far. My favorite Stern, by far! Only Stern I liked as much as my Bally/Williams games was SM. Not anymore.
Hope Stern keeps on putting subways on future games.
Hope game does not break too much either with all the crazy toys on it.
Great job Stern!

I was going to get a GB Premium but because of all the issues with GB I went with GOT for now. I want to give GB more time to get the playfield isues sorted out, other issues resolved, and hopefully a kick ass code update. If all of those things happen, and I believe that they will......I think Ghostbusters ends up being Sterns best pin ever for sure because it is truly an awesome game!

#506 7 years ago

All issues resolved with the premiums running out the door. The situation was addressed, figured out and fixed. Ghosting problem resolved. Bending wire by ghost stand up resolved. Drops not dropping properly resolved.

DSCN1606 (resized).JPGDSCN1606 (resized).JPG

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I was going to get a GB Premium but because of all the issues with GB I went with GOT for now. I want to give GB more time to get the playfield isues sorted out, other issues resolved, and hopefully a kick ass code update. If all of those things happen, and I believe that they will......I think Ghostbusters ends up being Sterns best pin ever for sure because it is truly an awesome game!

I originally wanted a GB LE, but went with a pro because of cost. I still like the feature matix of the Premium model so maybe one day I might upgrade. I went with a GoT pro as well. I considered the premium because I like the artwork better, but I don't want the mini playfield.

Rob

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I originally wanted a GB LE, but went with a pro because of cost. I still like the feature matix of the Premium model so maybe one day I might upgrade. I went with a GoT pro as well. I considered the premium because I like the artwork better, but I don't want the mini playfield.
Rob

I am getting the GOT pro as well. I hope the playfield on it was made by the older company that used to make them for Stern. Im kind of thinking it will be probably.........hopefully. Do you like your GOT so far?

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

All issues resolved with the premiums running out the door. The situation was addressed, figured out and fixed. Ghosting problem resolved. Bending wire by ghost stand up resolved. Drops not dropping properly resolved.

How do you know that all new premiums are issue-free?

#510 7 years ago

I got a pro last week, no ghosting. There are two inserts with "crazing".

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Now I want a pirate woman on a rope for my game room...

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Now I want a pirate woman on a rope for my game room...

she goes with the other two pirate statues I have.

DSCN1587 (resized).JPGDSCN1587 (resized).JPG

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from Invi00:

How do you know that all new premiums are issue-free?

because I had a lengthy discussion on what was found and resolved with the playfield ghosting issues. and you can see the rail has been upgraded by the ghost target and my drops work fine.

But I did encounter some lamp issues last night. GI strands 2 and 3 went super dim and matrix sections went super dim. They go out for awhile then come back. Then go out again. Checked all connectors. pulled each one and double checked the crimping on each wire. Everything checked out.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because I had a lengthy discussion on what was found and resolved with the playfield ghosting issues.

That's kind of cryptic. Can you be more specific as to who you spoke with, what the problems were, and how they were resolved? Thanks.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

That's kind of cryptic. Can you be more specific as to who you spoke with, what the problems were, and how they were resolved? Thanks.

Yes, do tell.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

she goes with the other two pirate statues I have.

OMG! The one with tennis shoes looks so real...

Brad

#517 7 years ago

I don't think it's my place to talk about it, but as a playfield restorer, i'm confident that the resolution that was found will completely solve future issues.

2 weeks later
#518 7 years ago

Well I hate to dig up old threads (not really) but looks like people are raving about the new code update and now it looks like we have good playfields so I'll ask again..........Could Ghostbusters end up being the best Stern pin ever? Its gonna be great to see Crazy Levi eating crow now that the new code update has pushed this pin over the top!!! Haa haaa!

#519 7 years ago

i think you read what you wanted to read, as the code is plagued with bugs.

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i think you read what you wanted to read, as the code is plagued with bugs.

Yeah, I'd hardly call the reaction "raving about the new code" ...

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because I had a lengthy discussion on what was found and resolved with the playfield ghosting issues. and you can see the rail has been upgraded by the ghost target and my drops work fine.
But I did encounter some lamp issues last night. GI strands 2 and 3 went super dim and matrix sections went super dim. They go out for awhile then come back. Then go out again. Checked all connectors. pulled each one and double checked the crimping on each wire. Everything checked out.

Unfortunately, the NIB Premium my buddy received two weeks ago says different. It looked good out of the box, but had chipping clear in the shooter lane and ghosting inserts within a week.

#522 7 years ago

Definately the best Stern game ever...

...that I owned.

...wich is easy because it's the only one.

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Unfortunately, the NIB Premium my buddy received two weeks ago says different. It looked good out of the box, but had chipping clear in the shooter lane and ghosting inserts within a week.

older run of playfield perhaps?

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yeah, I'd hardly call the reaction "raving about the new code" ...

He meant to say "raging.."

#525 7 years ago

My wife the novice pinball player LOVES our GBLE and said it has usurped LOTR and BIBLE for her all time favorite pin. Go figure as how damn hard this game is, but Mass Hysteria Multi-ball is near-orgasmic. Kudos for the step-up in fun-play!! I still love BIBLE more, barely.

10 months later
#526 6 years ago

Sooo, what's the verdict?

#527 6 years ago

"Best ever" requires an opinion and those are going to vary between players. I'll say GB is really good but I can't say it's better than the AS sitting next to it. Really good is good enough for me.

#528 6 years ago

The verdict is.....its not the best pin ever lol. It is however a great game and it will remain in my collection forever. Truthfully I don't know if there is a best ever game. I do think that GB Premium is amongst the top games though. Thats just my opinion ......

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ghosting problem resolved.

Oops

#530 6 years ago

It's a decent game, but not at the same level as LOTR

#531 6 years ago

lol no.

#532 6 years ago

I agree the answer is no, but I don't think it's an invalid question either. I don't think there is any code that will get it to leapfrog say LOTR, TRON, MET, TSPP or a handful of others but I do believe it is a very innovative game and a ton of fun to play. The integration is where it lacks for me.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The verdict is.....its not the best pin ever lol. It is however a great game and it will remain in my collection forever. Truthfully I don't know if there is a best ever game. I do think that GB Premium is amongst the top games though. Thats just my opinion ......

Well said

#534 6 years ago

Based on what I've seen there's zero chance....its a fun game, and probably worthy of a top 30, but not in the same league at MM, AFM, LOTR, Hobbit or even the music pins ACDC and Metallica....jury is still out on the game code....

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Sooo, what's the verdict?

Definitely NO for me. Not in my top 10 favorite Stern games since 2000 either.

#536 6 years ago

The folks I knew that bought the pro or premium model have already dumped it in my area. They gave it a thumbs down.

#537 6 years ago

The problem is these polls are always loaded from the get-go. You're either an owner (or perspective buyer) or a Stern critic, so the truth is always in the middle somewhere. Is it Stern's best?....Hell No. Does it suck? No, it doesn't suck either. It's mid grade pin with great art, lights, and call-outs. It's a helluva lot better than his WWE effort.

#538 6 years ago

The art is Stern's best effort ever. The playfield is very neat too, although it's inherently brutal. i understand fully why some people don't like it, but personally i'm a big fan of the shots, especially the far right ramp on the Pro, where you go backwards up the train ramp. it's a super tough shot and an original design idea.

The rules are its biggest problem. Way too linear. Also too many worthless modes -- including the "We Came We Saw" mini-wizard mode, which is bafflingly useless. Cross the Streams is worth way too much. the best play for novice and intermediate players in competition are to intentionally avoid starting a mode so you can go for the video mode on all three balls. that's dumb.

Also, it's way too hard to start a mode if you miss the skillshot. It's 3 or 4 risky shots just to LIGHT the modes. Speaking of which -- 6x playfield is a completely insane reward for merely making a skillshot.

and finally ... i don't understand why a bunch of side features (tobins and video mode at least) are disabled when you have a mode running. It creates a lot of confusion for players ("it said it just lit tobins but it's not lit!") plus it doesn't make any obvious sense. Not to mention, once you start a mode, it's pretty likely you'll keep rolling into the next mode upon completion of a mode -- meaning you'll always have a mode running for the rest of the game, meaning once you start a mode you can forget about ever seeing the tobins spirit guide or video mode features. It's a weird design choice.

heck, ideally, you should even be able to have modes from different ladders stacked as well.

anyway, i think there's a lot of room for improvement purely from a code standpoint.

7 months later
#539 5 years ago

Still in love with my LE...

#540 5 years ago

I am still torn on whether or not GB should have had standard flipper distance and if it should have had random non-linear modes. It is a catch 22. You want a difficult game that does not lose your interest in a home environment, but at the same time you do not want to struggle with progression, even on 5 ball. Star Wars is similar in that blowing up the Death Star is not an easy task, but once you do it, one of the most rewarding feelings in all of pinball. Getting to Stay-Puff is also difficult, but very rewarding on the rare occasion. The sounds and lights and music make it over the top getting to Stay Puff. I installed Cleland's code and I am loving my LE. Is it Stern's best game ever made-no. Is it top 10-yes

#541 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am still torn on whether or not GB should have had standard flipper distance and if it should have had random non-linear modes. It is a catch 22. You want a difficult game that does not lose your interest in a home environment, but at the same time you do not want to struggle with progression, even on 5 ball. Star Wars is similar in that blowing up the Death Star is not an easy task, but once you do it, one of the most rewarding feelings in all of pinball. Getting to Stay-Puff is also difficult, but very rewarding on the rare occasion. The sounds and lights and music make it over the top getting to Stay Puff. I installed Cleland's code and I am loving my LE. Is it Stern's best game ever made-no. Is it top 10-yes

It definitely didnt end up being Sterns best game ever, but its still pretty damn good. Im hoping the next code update adds some cool stuff to the game. I still love my GB Premium and i think its a keeper!

#542 5 years ago

It's one of the hardest, feature rich games of the modern day Stern. I absolutely love my LE and I have had it on location ever since I got it. All I can say is that to date it's still the top cointaker of any of the games I've ever put out, and that for sure says something. Awesome theme, amazing layout, and gorgeous art make this one of my faves of all time, and for sure my favorite modern day Stern.

#543 5 years ago

Sold my LE

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Awesome theme, amazing layout, and gorgeous art make this one of my faves of all time, and for sure my favorite modern day Stern.

Agree 100%. It's a tough game, but not overly brutal. The key to GB is knowledge. If you walk up to a game on location (or a non-pinhead at a friend's house) and start banging away with no plan or knowledge of the rules, it's going to eat your lunch. I'm not a great player by any stretch, but I've put up 7B on my GB Prem (factory settings except soft coils, airball protectors, and lowered hex spacer on right ramp by 1/8"...7 degrees between the flippers). GotG is much harder than this game. Shots are so tight, I've played entire balls and made just 1 or 2 shots that actually mattered. And other games are tougher as well...IM, BSD, Flash Gordon, etc.

As for the repetition argument, any game is repetitious if you play it the same way every time. If a friend and I are playing MM and I want to win, I bash castles early and try to get castle MB to keep bashing the later ones. Does that make the game repetitious? No. It just means for max points there is a dominant strategy. This is true for most games.

On GB, try playing mode ladders other than the right ramp and starting "WBTD" every time. Going the Library route and getting to WCWS... after only 2 modes is awesome when you do it. Sure I'd like to play "Ballroom" and "Stay Puft" more than once every 15 games. If a code update did something to randomize the ladders, I'd be all for it. But as it stands, I just don't understand the venom that this pin generates.

Sorry for the rant!

#545 5 years ago

I love playing is pin. the gap is wide but that is the point. This pin made me a better player.. I had to play the game or the game would play me..

This one stays with me.

#546 5 years ago

GB ended up being junk! Loved the art, hated the game!

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

GB ended up being junk! Loved the art, hated the game!

Quickest game ever out of my house. Jesus King Rock lasted longer

#548 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quickest game ever out of my house. Jesus King Rock lasted longer

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. I don't have to understand it. How else do you explain pimento loaf....

#549 5 years ago

man one of the worst games theyve made recently, maybe worst since wwe? guardians always shot well but the code wasnt there, new updates make it a better game for sure now.

#550 5 years ago

I found myself really disappointed with the gameplay of The Scoleri Brothers (aka Ghostbusters.)

What a waste of a good theme.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 103.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Grass Valley, CA
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.