(Topic ID: 167943)

Could Ghostbusters end up being Sterns best pin ever?

By Who-Dey

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 574 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1587 (resized).JPG
DSCN1606 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Cr4-52pUAAAW20S (resized).jpg
Too funny (resized).jpg
Ok the lisp jokes are gettig old fast (resized).jpg
Thuck ath code athholes (resized).jpg
Lovebirds (resized).jpg
Greatest meme ever (resized).jpeg
Lets give this train wreck some fatalities (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
thee what Im thayin (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 7 years ago

TWDLE and GBLE best Stern pins ever. Yep.

If you don't agree then "you have no dick", spook central

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have a feeling Levi isnt going to like your post!

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have a feeling Levi isnt going to like your post!

Well..... he is from NY.

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if by TWD you ment LOTR, then I agree.

If by LOTR you meant Stars, then I agree.

rd

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Its good, but not MET good...

GB will never be what MET is. A true top 5 contender, all time.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm with ya on the TWD. I also am stoked to get a GB Premium in the near future.
With that said, I think that Ghostbusters is WAY too challenging to ever be considered a top Stern game.
I could understand it becoming your favourite, or maybe mine, but for the general public, it just aint happening.
From what I've seen so far, it's just way too tough a game to be a top title, loved by the masses.

Personally, I loved IronMan. Had a blast when I owned it. Love ACDC. Love TWD. Loved Metallica.
But Ghostbusters is in a league of its own when it comes to $hit-kicking the player.

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

From what I've seen so far, it's just way too tough a game to be a top title, loved by the masses.
Personally, I loved IronMan. Had a blast when I owned it. Love ACDC. Love TWD. Loved Metallica.
But Ghostbusters is in a league of its own when it comes to $hit-kicking the player.

Gotta agree with this. I consider myself a decent (not great) player, but the GB LE that I've been playing on location is too much of a drain monster for me to currently consider it a truly fun game.

Hopefully, that will change for the better as I become more familiar with the game's rules and tendencies.

#459 7 years ago

im loving my GB, its super fun and super fast. didnt think id be into the theme but they have done it bloody well. ive barely touched my tron and metallica since gb has arrived. ive not played every stern game but i think gb is the best ive played so far. i just keep pressing the start button time after time.

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

im loving my GB, its super fun and super fast. didnt think id be into the theme but they have done it bloody well. ive barely touched my tron and metallica since gb has arrived. ive not played every stern game but i think gb is the best ive played so far. i just keep pressing the start button time after time.

That's the "new toy factor".

The trick is, will it be the same in 6/12 months.. Only time will tell.

Everyone loves a new toy. But long term, some toys are better than others.

rd

#461 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

GB is a kick ass pin dude and always will be. Its easily one of Sterns best pins ever. You rag on it constantly, maybe you just need to play better?

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

GB will never be what MET is. A true top 5 contender, all time.

GB is already better than MET

#463 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I agree - which is why Dave has 100 + games, like an addiction the first few times the high is great but over time you need more and more often because the high doesn't last as long.

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

GOT is so far superior to GB, it isn't even in the same sphere.
People are totally blinded by the Ghostbusters effect. I can't believe it. I was playing in a Comp Saturday night and a couple of guys (mid range players) were saying they loved the art and the theme and wanted one. Even when I explained the issues I have with it, and the machine did exactly what I said it would when they played it (SDTM drains, instant sling suicide) they still wanted one. Because it's pretty looking. Un-f**king-believable.
Each to their own. Their money.
rd

Sorry Dave need to ask - what is a mid range player ?

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

I agree - which is why Dave has 100 + games, like an addiction the first few times the high is great but over time you need more and more often because the high doesn't last as long.

Yes and no. For me the thrill comes not in getting a pin, it is learning it and (hopefully) beating it. Learning to play TWD and beating HORDE and TERMINUS is up there with the greatest buzz I've had in pinball.

Getting through Iron Throne on GOTpro was almost as cool. But TWD was better cause my machine is nasty as all hell.

Quoted from MSN22:

Sorry Dave need to ask - what is a mid range player ?

In this exact case, guys who usually come 10-20th in a field of 20. That's as mid range as you can get.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its easily one of Sterns best pins ever. You rag on it constantly, maybe you just need to play better?

???

My IFPA ranking is only slightly lower than Levis. And Tim who made the other informed comment on the game is also in the top 100 ranked players.

Maybe you need to play better?

rd

#466 7 years ago

"My world ranking is only slightly lower than Levis. And Tim who made the other informed comment on the game is also in the top 100 ranked players.
Maybe you need to play better?
rd"

A person doesn't have to be a world ranked pinball player to know if a game is good. I havent seen anyone on this forum that owns a Ghostbusters machine that says it sucks. Some people mad over playfields obviously, but none of them say that the game isnt fun.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I havent seen anyone on this forum that owns a Ghostbusters machine that says it sucks. Some people mad over playfields obviously, but none of them say that the game isnt fun.

How many people that spend thousands on any game say it sucks right away? That is why you need time to see where it will settle.

#468 7 years ago

The gble gets easier after a while,you get familiar with shots that bounce back as a draino.
It calms down after 200 plays...out of the box, the machine only does airball.
I think( please don't downvote me 60x) a forum attracts a lot of negativity...what is wrong with gb?
Supercool machine??
Also the ghosting stopped and is stable now,i can live with that.
The code is early, it will get a ton of updates.
Relax, have fun.

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

How many people that spend thousands on any game say it sucks right away? That is why you need time to see where it will settle.

The people that buy one before they even see what it looks like or play one and then they dont like it after they get it. Batman is a theme that I love, but no way in hell would I buy one without even seeing what its going to look like, I cant even imagine doing that. I also wouldn't buy one without playing it either. It just blows me away how anyone could do that unless they are just filthy rich. Its their money though not mine.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I havent seen anyone on this forum that owns a Ghostbusters machine that says it sucks.

That's nonsensical. Anybody who thinks GB sucks isn't going to buy one in the first place.

It's great that you like it. Awesome! Enjoy it! But you don't need to keep seeking validation for it.

rd

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Exactly.

rd

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A person doesn't have to be a world ranked pinball player to know if a game is good.

YOU were the one that suggested that RD

Quoted from Who-Dey:

just need(s) to play better

in order to appreciate the game.

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

YOU were the one that suggested that RD

in order to appreciate the game.

It was a response to "play better" which is always a douchey way to dispute a discussion.

rd

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It was a response to "play better" which is always a douchey way to dispute a discussion.
rd

Yep, not questioning that. Just pointing out Who-Dey's shift in position when cornered.

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Yep, not questioning that. Just pointing out Who-Dey's shift in position when cornered.

Ahhhhh I see what you did there. Your tricky editing confused my simple mind.

rd

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's nonsensical. Anybody who thinks GB sucks isn't going to buy one in the first place.
It's great that you like it. Awesome! Enjoy it! But you don't need to keep seeking validation for it.
rd

Im not seeking validation for GB. All im saying is that most people that hate GB probably arent very good players and they hate it because of the difficulty and short ball times etc, and of course there are going to be good players that dont like it either.......happens with any game out there. A big majority of people though that have played GB and spent a fair amount of time on it almost always come away liking the game.

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not seeking validation for GB. All im saying is that most people that hate GB probably arent very good players and they hate it because of the difficulty and short ball times etc, and of course there are going to be good players that dont like it either.......happens with any game out there. A big majority of people though that have played GB and spent a fair amount of time on it almost always come away liking the game.

I don't think the level of player has much to do with it. I like GB but realize that the software isn't currently close to the level of games like TWD, Met, or even GOT. Maybe it will get there but currently it isnt there yet. The art, sound, and layout are great for the most part. I do think the game needs quite a bit of tweaking out of the box to make it play right. The Pro I play on route has several switches that don't register and a left saucer that fires it SDTM, and short Inlane rails which the ball jumps over constantly. On a home machine these things can be accounted for but you are still stuck with unbalanced rules. It sucks when looping supers come up during sfmb and during Scoleri Brothers! And a ball shouldn't lock and divert to the saucer when it's running. I think it would actually be a better game with the Scoleri targets disabled as they don't bring enough risk/reward and are more of a nuisance. I also think the lower left targets near the captive ball should be more useful. It's still not a bad game but it's not one of the really good ones either. It's probably around 7-8 on my list of best Stern's.

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think the level of player has much to do with it. I like GB but realize that the software isn't currently close to the level of games like TWD, Met, or even GOT. Maybe it will get there but currently it isnt there yet. The art, sound, and layout are great for the most part. I do think the game needs quite a bit of tweaking out of the box to make it play right. The Pro I play on route has several switches that don't register and a left saucer that fires it SDTM, and short Inlane rails which the ball jumps over constantly. On a home machine these things can be accounted for but you are still stuck with unbalanced rules. It sucks when looping supers come up during sfmb and during Scoleri Brothers! And a ball shouldn't lock and divert to the saucer when it's running. I think it would actually be a better game with the Scoleri targets disabled as they don't bring enough risk/reward and are more of a nuisance. I also think the lower left targets near the captive ball should be more useful. It's still not a bad game but it's not one of the really good ones either. It's probably around 7-8 on my list of best Stern's.

Those are all valid points for sure and I think we will see code update that addresses most of those things......hope so anyway. It would be nice if Stern had open communication with their customers on the code so they could listen to people and make the games better.

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Very good point.

Quoted from rotordave:

Yes and no. For me the thrill comes not in getting a pin, it is learning it and (hopefully) beating it. Learning to play TWD and beating HORDE and TERMINUS is up there with the greatest buzz I've had in pinball.
Getting through Iron Throne on GOTpro was almost as cool. But TWD was better cause my machine is nasty as all hell.

Dang RD, we agree on this one.

You know i love my TWDLE as my favorite pin for those same reasons, like you. GBLE is right up there and more overall "fun".

The code/layout/lighting/art is really a lot of fun to play now, but Dwight needs to bring the code to another level to make it a great one, like it could be, scoring is just too unbalanced and so many features aren't fleshed out and/or integrated with the game yet.

It will be a very disappointing outcome for me if they don't make this a rules masterpiece like the others. They will though, GB will be the biggest seller Stern has seen in a long time!

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Those are all valid points for sure and I think we will see code update that addresses most of those things......hope so anyway. It would be nice if Stern had open communication with their customers on the code so they could listen to people and make the games better.

Yeah if Dwight fixes these issues in code and makes it a more balanced and polished experience I think this game will crack my personal top 5 Stern list (TWD, LOTR, ACDC, TSPP, Met). It's just hard to know at this point in time where Dwight will leave it? We are still waiting on code that would polish up GOT and that game is a bit ahead of GB code currently. I think both of these games (GOT, GB) have the potential to achieve greatness. they just aren't there quite yet....

#481 7 years ago

I see both sides.

I have never bought a game New, that I haven't played, or been vetted with time and code.
Usually picking a game up as second or third owner. I think we all now the reasons along with finances, and me being a cheap bastard.

GB was my first gamble.

I believe, that for players who compete, it's not
Going to get the love, period.
Won't matter about the code. Its not a game that gives the talented players what they want.

However, for casual fun, it's to me the best.
It does something different, and does it exceptionally well.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

they usually don't until they finally sold it. Then they let you know how they really feel. Except for me, because I was telling people the Xmen LE sucked balls as I was selling. It was just so terrible, I couldn't keep it to myself even in sales transactions. Luckily I traded to someone that loved the theme so much he didn't care if it sucked. And he lucked out, because the code eventually came around and made it a tolerable game.

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from MSN22:

you talking pinballs or heroin?

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

All im saying is that most people that hate GB probably arent very good players and they hate it because of the difficulty and short ball times etc

Actually, I think its probably the opposite of that. I think the majority of people that really dislike GB are control players, who tend to be the better overall players (particularly in tournament competition) on average. The dislike comes from the game taking away that control factor, both in terms of sustaining control and recovering it once lost. In a casual environment that's fine, and actually can be quite fun in some ways, but in a competitive environment it can be frustrating.

In the spirit of not just complaining, but actually suggesting something that might help alleviate that, I would propose this:

I would love to see a quick 2-ball multiball added to this game, something not that difficult to get into (the first time) but also not really high scoring. I think the lack of a quickly accessible multiball adds to the frustration factor for many people. I know I've had some local players lament about how infrequently they get into a multiball when we were playing at bar tournaments. Perhaps having the reward for defeating Slimer include a 2-ball quick multiball instead of the mode start re-lighting might be better. Then the mode start could also be done in a different, less involved way, that would also minimize the "mode jail" situation.

I do think it is likely that code improvements will help make this game better from a competitive standpoint down the line.

#486 7 years ago

There definitely need to be more rewards for the player, especially for the casual player who just sees a lot of glittering lights and thinks multiball is the be-all and end-all of pinball, if they're even aware of it.

#487 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It would be nice if Stern had open communication with their customers on the code so they could listen to people and make the games better.

Stern may not officially participate on Pinside, but I can assure you that they read every thread like this.

#488 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Xmen is everything GB isn't. Good. And someone has to counteract Rares hatred.
rd

Believe me, Rare isn't the only one who hates XM!

#489 7 years ago

No way GB will ever be as good as Batman66. That's like the best pinball machine ever!

#490 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No way GB will ever be as good as Batman66. That's like the best pinball machine ever!

The sales so far would indicate that you are correct! lol

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

LoL we haven't even seen it yet, good grief

#492 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

we haven't even seen it yet, good grief

Who's we, lone ranger?

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#493 7 years ago

I love people who say the Scoleri Brothers should be removed because they are a nuisance.

Earth to Pinsiders.....they are SUPPOSED to be a nuisance!

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

that has to be true. I mean, just look at how many people own dark knight. So this batman should sell about as good as that, since it's practically the same layout with different rules and alternate coffee can. Right?

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I know I've had some local players lament about how infrequently they get into a multiball when we were playing at bar tournaments

Multiball on GB really isn't that good right now. It's never something I look forward to or think 'wow I can really score some points now' because it just doesn't score well or even play well for that matter. Most of the time I get around an average of 25 million points. The reward for collecting all the ghosts doesn't seem very much (4 or 5 million?) and the scoleri targets are always getting in the way pissing the player off. I still like the game a lot, but there are just some things that I think need to be updated in the game. If that doesn't happen I'm ok with it too. Only time will tell whenever we see another code release and what changes are made.

Rob

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

I love people who say the Scoleri Brothers should be removed because they are a nuisance.

They don't belong in SFMB.

Rob

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Batman66 Supreme LE, $10,000 by Chistmas!

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Earth to air pinball: they kind of suck. If a giant hole in the middle of the playfield was "supposed to be a nuisance" it wouldn't make it a desirable design feature.

#499 7 years ago

They don't really do anything, either. The trolls in MM have funny quotes and interactive personalities, but the Scoleri Brothers are just kinda there. I'd mind them less if they served a narrative purpose.

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

They don't really do anything, either. The trolls in MM have funny quotes and interactive personalities, but the Scoleri Brothers are just kinda there. I'd mind them less if they served a narrative purpose.

As opposed to a nAIRratelive purpose...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

15,699 (OBO)
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 573 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-ghostbusters-be-the-best-pin-ever/page/10?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.