• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giddy_(resized).jpg
testfinal_zps0bc71478_(resized).jpg
ghostbusters-2016-cast-proton-packs-images_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 8 years ago

I would be happy to see Stern sell 5K plus units on GB. That would get it up there with AC/DC. It could only be a good thing for pinball. 5K GB machines sold in (2016-17) = 20K TAF machines sold in (1992-1994). The pinball buyers market is about 1/4 of what was back then.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

If GB had a more up to date display, it might warrant some of the frenzy, but it's just embarrassing when you look at it's dots vs what the other companies are doing, especially The Hobbit.

Nah, it's certainly more in line with the "standard" up to this point in pinball history. Pinball was never about the dots. Just poll people about how boring video modes are in pinball.

Anything above a display that displays a score is just eye candy and only adds slightly to the overall feel of a game to me. I would much rather a light show or sound callout suggest a rewarding feeling or job well done than a HDMI display that takes my attention away from the actual play field/ball in play. The main reason for a display at all is score/diagnostic in my humble opinion. Any additional quests, video modes, game progress information is again, just eye candy to me.

Generally speaking, the more recently adapted full video displays in pinball is to get the next generation to LOOK at the machine while someone else is playing on location. I can say from experience that this feature is not saving pinball and in all honesty, no other single feature, display or other eye candy will either.

Not saying this couldn't change in the furture but right NOW, I never look at the display on WOZ or Hobbit more than a tradition DOT display, the 50 or so times that I have played either machine.

Can Stern adapt a new standard? I think they have to because it takes more arduous raw man hours to make dots than to use some other easier, non proprietary technology to show visuals in pinball. This is NOT because they want to present an HDMI display to the player, it's because in the long run, it will save them $.

Until I see otherwise, I still stand by my statement that it's just eye candy and adds very little to the overall experience for my .50/.75/$1.

One other thing not mentioned yet is the adaptation and recoding of the color dots on machines by colorDMD. I think that what they do is great but again, it's more of an add-on mod than really isn't adding much to the gameplay, for the price of addmission.

I am much more excited about the Full Throtle design, incorporating the play field display in to that game. It is a very good first effort and my hope is that the box of thinking continues to expand regarding play field displays. They did a much better job than JJP or Stern, up to this point. But hey, they really had nothing to lose, right?

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here, just read through the hype and make your own informed decision after playing any given machine.

3 weeks later
#89 7 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

I have no doubt GB will be Stern's top seller, easily surpassing 6,000 units and most likely over 10,000.

What you smokin willis? I want some. Pinside does not condone gambling but if they did I will take the under on 10,000 in two years. Put me down for $1000 to be paid to me on May 13th, 2018.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 103.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-gb-be-sterns-addams-familyi?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.