Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D-pKiMaUwAEUaGj (resized).jpeg
    flashgordon7 (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Bars are closed. Arcades are closed. I'm assuming not a lot of games are going on route in 2020, maybe 2021 also.

Can the home market sustain the industry until the commercial market comes back?

Can manufacturers float along until their main customers return? (Thats assuming the home market is small compared to the commercial market, like we've been told for years)

Will covid make manufacturers realize how important their home market is, and will they pivot their products for the home market? (Offer a full size model with no coin door, not a zizzle)

#2 3 years ago

Covid has permanently closed a lot of businesses. If all locations fail despite there being a vax or cure, could the home basement be the new business model? I personally don't think it would happen but you never know......

#3 3 years ago

Did you see the news report that COVID is driving a resurgence in pinball? Apparently Stern is hopelessly back ordered on games because of so much demand. So no, pinball will be fine. https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-leads-to-spike-in-pinball-popularity

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Bars are closed. Arcades are closed.

Oh, you're in Canada. The US got bored of Covid months ago and moved on. So it's not killing pinball here, just people.

#5 3 years ago

I hope so, cuz I can’t fucking wait to get out & play the new games that I’ve missed. With beer, without mask.

#6 3 years ago

Will covid make manufacturers realize how important their home market is, and will they pivot their products for the home market

Pinball has been geared for the home market for sometime now. Why do you think prices keep rising and the location play price is pretty much constant? Why is it home owners can get a new release the same time as an operator and sometimes even before an operator? Why do you think the mods market is so big? Why do you think there are multiple models of a given title? Why are there accessories you can buy from a manufacturer?

The answer to all this is because of the home market.

#7 3 years ago

Its certainly not good for pins on location but we're playing our
    pins more than ever at home since there is little reason to venture out.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Oh, you're in Canada.

Nah its the same up here. Most people are over it. I was never on it, I think its crap. The on route pinball market will suffer of course and no offense to those who profit from it but I don't give a shit. I use to play as a yute in bars, bowling alleys, arcades, pool halls etc. but after owning so many pins and being able to enjoy them in the home setting with good volume and proper lighting and drinks that cost a 1/5 of what they cost at some terrible bar with some douchebag standing right beside me I'm not going anywhere to play pinball. Further more it wouldn't matter to me if the on site pinball market dies all together. That's a minor faction of sales, nothing to worry to about.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Nah its the same up here. Most people are over it. I was never on it, I think its crap. The on route pinball market will suffer of course and no offense to those who profit from it but I don't give a shit. I use to play as a yute in bars, bowling alleys, arcades, pool halls etc. but after owning so many pins and being able to enjoy them in the home setting with good volume and proper lighting and drinks that cost a 1/5 of what they cost at some terrible bar with some douchebag standing right beside me I'm not going anywhere to play pinball. Further more it wouldn't matter to me if the on site pinball market dies all together. It won't really hurt pinball as a whole either.

That’s the attitude...

If there wasn’t location pinball when you were a YUTE then you would have never been introduced to the hobby. It’s important if you want pinball to be around for future generations.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from V8haha:

It’s important if you want pinball to be around for future generations.

Oh no ur one of them

Its dies with us sir. Kids r glued to their phones and video game consoles. Not gonna happen. If it does survive it will be through those channels, most likely 100% virtual.

#11 3 years ago

There have been several similar threads about this. The general consensus:

Can it kill pinball locations? Absolutely, it already has.

Can it kill pinball? Absolutely not.

#12 3 years ago

#13 3 years ago

I know a local arcade whose owner said home rentals are doing really well for them.

#14 3 years ago

Jjp reportedly sold 2k+ of GnR. I’d say the answer to your question is no.

#15 3 years ago

Bars are closed. Arcades are closed. I'm assuming not a lot of games are going on route in 2020, maybe 2021 also.
    Can the home market sustain the industry until the commercial market comes back?
    Can manufacturers float along until their main customers return? (Thats assuming the home market is small compared to the commercial market, like we've been told for years)
    Will covid make manufacturers realize how important their home market is, and will they pivot their products for the home market? (Offer a full size model with no coin door, not a zizzle)

things are open down here dog

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

things are open down here dog

Party at Woody's House!
    I'll bring the beer.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Jjp reportedly sold 2000k+ of GnR.

Over 2 million GnR's?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Did you see the news report that COVID is driving a resurgence in pinball? Apparently Stern is hopelessly back ordered on games because of so much demand. So no, pinball will be fine. https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-leads-to-spike-in-pinball-popularity

Agree I see just dribs and drabs of machines for sale now and overpriced in most instances.
    A black knight recently sold for 2500 in about 10 minutes. It was not mint.

#19 3 years ago

Not a chance bro. Locations are starting to open and new games are selling like hot cakes.

#20 3 years ago

Three people I know bought thier first pin this year. They plan on switching them out when they get bored. Gaurdians, Spider-Man and one other in thier rotation. I would join in maybe too. In the near future.

Home gets a shot in the arm, locations begin to open, again. 2020. It sure is something.

#21 3 years ago

Wouldn't the average person be more attracted to virtual pinball in the coming years allowing the originals through the cracks and stabalizing the pricing ?Just a thought

#22 3 years ago

The home collector market has outperformed commercial sales on pins for several years now.

Click on any modern machines info and count the number of machine on location VS number machines in private collections. There may be some cases where a specific model (like pro) sold more for commercial use, but if you add up LE, Pro, Premius and lump the numbers all into one it’s the collector market that’s bought the most machines in recent years. Not to mention percentage wise most locations are listed, as pinsiders have a tendency to keep location Pinball up to date on the pinmap. On the other hand many collectors have their collection listed as private and the number in private collections is deflated.

I.E. home sales have outperformed location sales for years now (for every company).

#23 3 years ago

Pinball is doing fine. There are waitlists for the current titles from distributors and local used sales are being snatched up quickly. Covid may have shifted where they are being played, but it definitely has not killed it.

#24 3 years ago

We needed that link for the 6th time in this thread. Thanks.

#25 3 years ago

I've bought my first two pins since March (we were shopping pre-shutdown and that kinda sealed it) and am more than happy to keep adding more. At the same time, I long for the day when it's a bit safer to go out and try out some new machines. I think rentals/sales are keeping things afloat right now but betting location will recover eventually.

#26 3 years ago

if i see that goofy fox business video again i'm gonna lose my mind

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Oh no ur one of them
    Its dies with us sir. Kids r glued to their phones and video game consoles. Not gonna happen. If it does survive it will be through those channels, most likely 100% virtual.

I agree with this. The amount of kids with exposure to pinball is really tied to the speck on the radar that is we hobbyists....and not all those kids are picking up on it. My own could care less. They would play a bit when they were younger, but they have moved on as young adults to other interests. Online entertainment, the boy is interested in cars, his girl, college, the daughter is experimenting with one musical instrument after another. Kids just don't play pinball and I can't see younger generations sustaining this hobby. As far as Covid killing the hobby - it may have caused an upswing as far as in home entertainment at the moment, but ultimately it could kill the hobby - by killing the economy or killing the consumers in it.

#28 3 years ago

If covid could kill pinball it’d already be dead. No worries here.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

if i see that goofy fox business video again i'm gonna lose my mind

I honestly didn’t even see the video but with all the enthusiasm among people with that link I know what you are talking about.

I don’t need a news company to tell me pinball is awesome. I just head to my basement and play.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Wouldn't the average person be more attracted to virtual pinball in the coming years allowing the originals through the cracks and stabalizing the pricing ?Just a thought

No because virtual Pinball sucks.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Nah, it's a gateway drug. It's a nice way to demo games you may never see. It is responsible for me picking up a couple games that I could have never tried before.

#32 3 years ago

Not a chance!

#33 3 years ago

Pinball cures Covid.....
    Heard it here 1st.
    International demand about to explode, China to try a coup on all JJP GNR games and start the great Pinball wars.
    Only Flash Gordon can save us all.
    Slash may be cool, but never as cool as Flash flying blind on a Rocket Sled.

flashgordon7 (resized).jpgflashgordon7 (resized).jpg
    #34 3 years ago

Since Elon Musk said: "The coronavirus panic is dumb", I'd say the pinball biz is just fine.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I like(d) Virtual Pinball. VP reintroduced me to pinball. I won't say it sucks but my VP mini-cab has been gathering dust since I got a real pinball machine 5 years ago.

#36 3 years ago

It does give you the ability to play games you may not have a chance to. It's a shitty version that sucks, but I guess there's a point.

#37 3 years ago

Seeing the (previously owned) pinball prices just keep going up and up I would say pinball is doing fine popularity-wise. The inflated prices are bad in the long run though imo.

#38 3 years ago

We have not yet experienced the full effects of shutdowns. Another draconian Nationwide shut down this Winter and the Economy will take several years to fully recover.
    It will not effect the very wealthy, but the pinball Market requires a cross-section of incomes to thrive if the Home Market expects to replace Arcades / Operators.
    As those on the bottom-middle scale begin to feel the heat of unpaid bills, layoffs, overextended credit and help to Family members pinball machines will become a source of income.
    The question is "Will Pinball Manufacturers continue to produce machines for 1/3 of the current Market? Will used machine hoarders continue to sit on a declining-value commodity?
    How long can Owners/Operators of dozens of machines hold out without liquidating?
    There is a good current thread on this subject.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Since Elon Musk said: "The coronavirus panic is dumb", I'd say the pinball biz is just fine.

This is something I totally agree with Elon about. Pinball will be fine. Look at the prices for crying out loud.

#40 3 years ago

I’ve only seen pinball pricing go up since March, not down.

Also doubled my collection since COVID hit.

Only thing doing better than pinball is Amazon.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It will not effect the very wealthy

who else but well off individuals can spend 6 to 12K on a toy. The industry might take a hit but its not gonna die.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It does give you the ability to play games you may not have a chance to. It's a shitty version that sucks, but I guess there's a point.

There is that. I'm only speaking from my experience with Pinball Arcade on console or PC, not those full size wack-a-doodle things that people insist on valuing around $4000. I only played one of those one time at Allentown and it was not a pleasant experience.

#43 3 years ago

The hand held devices like the Nintendo switch offer an incredible pinball experience. The recent star wars release is in the top 20 rated switch games. I enjoy playing it almost daily and competing on line. A much cheaper and mobile way to get a quick virtual pinball experience. Call to any other pinsiders playing pinball on the switch. Private tournaments are available.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

We have not yet experienced the full effects of shutdowns. Another draconian Nationwide shut down this Winter and the Economy will take several years to fully recover.

there will be no more shutdowns except in maybe insane liberal states. if chris christie's fat ass can survive COVID anyone can.

#45 3 years ago

Nobody in the USA even cares about covid. You would think it didn't even exist. Half our population thinks it's a joke. So it's not hurting pinball much in the USA. Every single location I have ever been to is up and running full blast. Pinball is doing better than ever here.

#46 3 years ago

It's obvious pinball is very resilient. It will persevere through anything. If I had multiple millions I would invest heavily in pinball.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Nobody in the USA even cares about covid. You would think it didn't even exist. Half our population thinks it's a joke. So it's not hurting pinball much in the USA. Every single location I have ever been to is up and running full blast. Pinball is doing better than ever here.

This totally depends where you live. People in my state take it seriously, masks are mandatory inside all businesses, bars have very limited operating rules, most restaurants are dining outside only, and pinball and arcade games can't be operated--so all the barcades and arcades are closed. Most of the operators have been renting out games for home use, some of the barcades have found ways to open outside areas for food and drink, and lots of people are buying and renting pinball games for their homes since you can't play them in public. Pinball leagues are starting to do open garage tournaments where everyone wears masks. Gotta keep safe y'all!

#48 3 years ago

Pinball is safe and flourishing in my and my friends garages and game rooms.

As soon as I have 2 or 3 inoculations hopefully early next year, I'm driving up to FREE GOLD WATCH, and visit pinball heaven.

Then hitting all our Socal spots, Mission Control, Acye Gogie, Banning!

Pinball might be hibernating, but it's just laying in wait to pounce!

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

D-pKiMaUwAEUaGj (resized).jpegD-pKiMaUwAEUaGj (resized).jpeg
    #49 3 years ago

Never understood why people think pinball will die unless mainstream Joe Public will come along and save the day with his mainstream wallet.

Pinball has survived for 100 years. It will survive 100 more.

If you have just 1 pinball machine in your possession, and you love it, then it will survive for as long as you want it to.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

. if chris christie's fat ass can survive COVID anyone can.

While I am guessing that Christie did not receive Presidential level care, I willing to wager that he got better treatment than any of us will ever receive.

Trump has 9 or 10 doctors at his beck and call.

For me and the rest of us, we will be crying out Nurse ! Nurse ! Nurse ! multiple times before we receive any attention in what could be classed as a triage situation.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-covid-kill-pinball?hl=truthdivides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.