(Topic ID: 88417)

Could anybody make the argument for EATPM over Scared Stiff....

By Britt-in-VA

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GUMBO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Overall Package, you can only own one: EATPM or Scared Stiff?”

• Elvira and the Party Monsters 28 votes
    46%
  • Scared Stiff 33 votes
    54%

(61 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Britt,

You do not have an easy decision.

I have both, each is a distinct game with it's own character, despite the theme.

SS is fun but often leaves me frustrated, hitting the start button again to try to finish on a "good" game. I don't have the skills to call the game easy, as I've never finished it, and as part of a collection it stays fresh, even if familiar. If you like to fiddly fart around and mod, SS has lots of cool add ons that enrich the visual aspect and sate the tinkerer in you.

EATPM is kitchy, fun, and leaves me smiling every time. Love the period electronic music and the total tongue in cheek feeling of the artwork and sound packages.

Dollar for dollar with current pricing, I think EATPM has more bang for the buck.

However, you owe it to yourself to own each at least once

#52 5 years ago

I have to say, I'm beginning to lean towards Scared Stiff. Still have a lot of thinking to do, especially being a one machine guy, but that's where I'm leaning now.

Reasons being I haven't had it, and if the plan is to eventually own both potentially, go ahead and knock out the more expensive one now, rather than have to endure another crazy price hike and have it go out of range in a couple of years (hopefully the market stabalizes or even reduces a bit, but on the safe side).

I think that this has been an awesome, fun, informative discussion, and it confirmed to me that I wasn't alone in recognizing the greatness of EATPM!

Thanks guys, and by all means, anybody that hasn't yet... chime in.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Britt,
You do not have an easy decision.
I have both, each is a distinct game with it's own character, despite the theme.
SS is fun but often leaves me frustrated, hitting the start button again to try to finish on a "good" game. I don't have the skills to call the game easy, as I've never finished it, and as part of a collection it stays fresh, even if familiar. If you like to fiddly fart around and mod, SS has lots of cool add ons that enrich the visual aspect and sate the tinkerer in you.
EATPM is kitchy, fun, and leaves me smiling every time. Love the period electronic music and the total tongue in cheek feeling of the artwork and sound packages.
Dollar for dollar with current pricing, I think EATPM has more bang for the buck.
However, you owe it to yourself to own each at least once

And then right as soon as I post my last post, I read yours, and it's right back to the middle again, ha!

#54 5 years ago

I've thought about this more for you. I think that if I had a one game collection, and I was picking between the two, that even though EATPM is awesome, SS probably has more going for it as a "solo" game. There's just more to do on it, more ways to challenge yourself, more sounds, etc etc. If I sold my SS and kept EATPM it would be because I had a bunch of other games to balance out the somewhat simple System 11 aspects.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've thought about this more for you. I think that if I had a one game collection, and I was picking between the two, that even though EATPM is awesome, SS probably has more going for it as a "solo" game. There's just more to do on it, more ways to challenge yourself, more sounds, etc etc. If I sold my SS and kept EATPM it would be because I had a bunch of other games to balance out the somewhat simple System 11 aspects.

I really do appreciate you guys that own both, or have owned both, taking the time to chime in.

As you guys know, it's no longer as easy as just going down to the local arcade and trying them out. Research is such a key part to getting a new pin, at least to me as a one pin owner, and actually part of the fun of it. I like learning about the games and getting opinions from those that have owned them.

#56 5 years ago

Where's Patofnaud?Checkout his restore on EATPM.What a beauty.

#57 5 years ago

I'd take EATPM over scared stiff myself. I have more fun playing EATPM than I do SS. I know I'm in the minority on that we all have our own taste which is a good thing. It's all about which you prefer. If you had em side by side which would get more play that's always what it comes down to for me.

#58 5 years ago

Poll is actually pretty close. EATPM 12 votes, SS 18 votes. I am and I'm not surprised by that It's a tough question!

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

Both by all means! I actually have two of each!

I did too, but that NIB SS left a couple of weeks ago.

One of my EATPMs will be leaving shortly...

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I did too, but that NIB SS left a couple of weeks ago.
One of my EATPMs will be leaving shortly...

Does this mean you have room for Luci and WOZ?

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'd take EATPM over Scared Stiff myself. I have more fun playing EATPM than I do SS. I know I'm in the minority on that

So we must be a very active minority... you are not alone to say that.

#62 5 years ago

If flow is important to you then get SS. SS doesn't have a lot of flow, but it has twice as much as EATPM. SS also has way more call-outs, therefore way more humor which for me doesn't get old. Both look great. More to do on SS and more varied shots, with divertors, etc.

#63 5 years ago

After thinking about all the excellent advice that I've recieved on this thread overnight, I think I'm going to try this.

I'm going to post a TZ for SS trade offer, and see if I can get any interest locally, somewhat locally.... I know it's hard to trade in general... Hard to match up values, condition, etc... But I really feel that if there are any two pins that have had a similar price trajectory, and appeal from a desirability standpoint, these two actually match up really well.

If I don't get any interest in that, I'm going to put TZ up for sale, and look for the nicest EATPM I can find, while continuing to look for SS. Whichever one pops up first and is most convenient, that's what I'll go with.

I feel like with these two games, I really can't lose. Get a nice SS to play and enjoy, or find a really nice EATPM which I know I love, and put some cash in the pocket.

Thanks for all the great advice, everybody.

#64 5 years ago

Good Luck. Can't miss w/either one. But EATPM will make you happier...............................

#65 5 years ago

EATPM gets my vote. I really like the shots and the layout as well as the game is outright fun to play. SS is fun as well but just doesn't have the charm that EATPM has

#66 5 years ago

Wow, anybody else surprised at the poll results? 24-21 is a lot closer than I thought it would be.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

Wow, anybody else surprised at the poll results? 24-21 is a lot closer than I thought it would be.

I'm not. I hate SS and like EATPM. SS just tries too hard (no play on words intended). It's funny at first.

#68 5 years ago

SS is a great game. Just something about EATPM. It's just the perfect example of true "pinball" IMO. Either way, you can't go wrong. After all, it's Elvira..

#69 5 years ago

You're thinking was correct with "get the most expensive one first"

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You're thinking was correct with "get the most expensive one first"

Especially if the price is right, because I think SS is a little harder to find. It was for me anyway.

#71 5 years ago

The search has begun!

#73 5 years ago

Almost 60 votes and very close to a split decision.

1 week later
#74 5 years ago

Tough call - I've owned an EATPM and we loved the heck out of it.
I had it setup with incand. GI, LED inserts, led BB with two perfectly placed flex head bulbs behind her cleavage

It was only sold off in an attempt at quickly raising funds for a local HUO acdc that fell thru.

I've always said I'd like an SS someday but after recently playing one now I'm not sure. If I were to come across a really nice example of EATPM it would be hard to say no....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside