(Topic ID: 88417)

Could anybody make the argument for EATPM over Scared Stiff....

By Britt-in-VA

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by GUMBO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Overall Package, you can only own one: EATPM or Scared Stiff?”

• Elvira and the Party Monsters 28 votes
    46%
  • Scared Stiff 33 votes
    54%

(61 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

or that at the very least they are a wash? Or is Scared Stiff pretty much the consensus better overall machine. I'm talking total package, not just game play. Art, music, etc... The total package. I'd like opinions either way.

I'm looking to replace my really nice Twilight Zone with one of these machines. I've owned EATPM, it was my first pin, and I loved it. However, I decided back then that I wanted to move on to more toys, bells, and whistles with the 90's DMD pins. Owned a STTNG after Elvira, and now a TZ. Well, now it's kind of "been there, done that" and I'm trying to decide whether I want to make a lateral move to a Scared Stiff, or back to EATPM.

I've always wanted to own a Scared Stiff, but part of me really misses EATPM and I feel like I could get a really, really nice example... But that would be the caveat. If I went back to EATPM, I'd be looking for the nicest example I could possibly find, and willing to take my time to do it.

I'd just like to hear some opinions of these two games against each other. I did a search, but didn't find anything extensive.

#2 9 years ago

Both are very simply games. With a sys11, such as EATPM, you expect the level of simplicity, in comparison to newer games. With a lot of wpc95s, despite the depth of wpc89-wpcS, it's disappointing to me to see how back to basics they got.

It looks like you only have to TZ now if I read that right? If so, I would recommend two pins instead of one, so maybe the EATPM and something else as opposed to SS alone. You will get bored of every machine if there is only one, and there is like 10 fold the amount to do in TZ than SS for example, so really take that into consideration.

Wpc95s are really only doable in multi collections. They will all get boring in comparison to earlier WPC or some of the deeper sterns.

#3 9 years ago

I prefer the flow of SS more... the DMD animations, art package, and call outs are superb. EATPM is also a great game, but if I could have either one, SS would win. Good luck

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys.

Yes, you read that correct, TZ is my only machine. For multiple reasons, I can only have one machine at a time, so yeah, as awesome as each machine is... When you've played it for three years straight like I have TZ, it gets old no matter how cool the machine is.

At this time, owning two is not an option.

#5 9 years ago

And as far as easy and fun, that's what I'm looking for. My past two machines, STTNG and TZ, have been very deep games with lots to do. Not to mention, both widebodies. I'm looking for something that the wife and casual players would enjoy for awhile.

Additionally, I'm looking for something with a little more flow, over stop and start.

#6 9 years ago

EATPM is great, but since you've already had one and you only have room for one I'd recommend SS.

#7 9 years ago

I think you need to make room for both.

#8 9 years ago

I own both.

I think if push came to shove I'd sell Scared Stiff before EATPM.

That said I have 5 machines, not 1, so I can think about games a little differently than you, and I also spent a lot of time restoring my EATPM, so I'm more emotionally attached to it.

EATPM is just plain fun, and also for me really captures a vibe and era that matches Elvira so well. Maybe it's the lack of ball save, but it's also a harder game IMHO. It has more of a "one more game" vibe to it compared to Scared Stiff, perhaps because it's a little harder and simpler, you can just shoot around a little more, without feeling like you've got to fill up all the modes.

Still, I'm with NorCalRealtor, if you've owned it already, and you're not building a collection but doing one at a time, I'd get Scared Stiff. Enjoy a game you haven't had. It's just plain fun. You'll get some whining about how it's not deep enough from some people, but you're obviously not looking for AC/DC or LOTR. You'll always be able to sell it again later, it's the kind of game people will always want, even if it's just for a bit before they put it back in circulation.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I think you need to make room for both.

Yes, this would be the dream scenario.

Two in the future is not out of the realm of possibility, it's just not feasible now, so when you mention "building a collection", well, it would be a collection of two, and both would be the two.

Part of me feels like I should go ahead and get SS, simply because I haven't owned it before, and it's the more expensive of the two, so get it out of the way. When I'm ready to have two down the line, start the search for EATPM.

For some reason, though, it feels like EATPM is the harder one to find these days. Is that perception over reality?

#10 9 years ago

I agree with Aurich. I owned a Scared Stiff and it got really old for me really fast. The call-outs are very repetitious and the music, while good for a horror movie, got old for me too. For some reason, EATPM is always a joy to play (when I get to play one). You wanted opinions.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

EATPM is just plain fun, and also for me really captures a vibe and era that matches Elvira so well.

This is what keeps bringing me back in my head. I could just leave EATPM in attract mode all day and just listen to it.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I agree with Aurich. I owned a Scared Stiff and it got really old for me really fast. The call-outs are very repetitious and the music, while good for a horror movie, got old for me too. For some reason, EATPM is always a joy to play (when I get to play one). You wanted opinions.

Yes, definately. And truthfully, my gut says to go back to EATPM. Something keeps bringing me back to it, I just wanted to know if I was crazy for thinking that over Scared Stiff.

#13 9 years ago

I prefer EATPM over SS but would suggest to give the later a try... There is nothing wrong with scared stiff. It is relatively easy to achieve the 6 tales of terror. On the other hand, I could never complete all objectives with the spider... can't even tell if there is a reward associated. But I owned neither.

SS has a good theme and will be easy to sell when/if you are bored of it... if you buy EATPM again, you'll never know which one you truly prefer!

#14 9 years ago

As for the title of this thread, I would be impressed if you could find something pinball related that people here couldn't make an argument over.

#15 9 years ago

I've owned both. Both great pins. I would go for the SS cuz you already had an Elvira. Give it a year or two... and keep your eyes open for a MINT Elvira. You can always sell SS very quickly.

#16 9 years ago

You should have had a poll. I, like you wanted/want both but opted to go EatPM and so far haven't regretted it.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I prefer EATPM over SS but would suggest to give the later a try... There is nothing wrong with Scared Stiff. It is relatively easy to achieve the 6 tales of terror. On the other hand, I could never complete all objectives with the spider... can't even tell if there is a reward associated. But I owned neither.
SS has a good theme and will be easy to sell when/if you are bored of it... if you buy EATPM again, you'll never know which one you truly prefer!

No, there's certainly nothing wrong with it, I love the theme. It seems logical, being an Elvira, 80's cheesy horror, pinball with all the bells and whistles, that it is the logical next move. EATPM started my foray into the hobby, it seems logical that Scared Stiff is the next up.

However, one thing I've been telling friends lately, while the 90's dmd's have been fun, there's just something special about those System 11 pins.

I started a thread a couple weeks ago about what the best music/voice integration was into a pin, and like 6 out of 7 responses were system 11 games. When I brought up that everybody was naming System 11 games, somebody made the point that because of lack of dmd, the designers HAD to be more creative and thoughtful when integrating stuff.

There's just something special about that game, and as Aurich said, EATPM just catches the vibe of that time period. I can't tell you why, but I just really agree with that.

#18 9 years ago

I own both and would hate to sell either of them. But as others have said, you've already owned EATPM, so I'd go with SS since you're limited to only one at a time.

That being said, I'll actually have a very nice EATPM for sale soon. I have two at the moment, so it's time to let one go.

#19 9 years ago

Robert,

I sent you a pm, hope you don't mind.

#20 9 years ago

Sorry for the tangent, but if you can only own one, and since you've gone up to STTNG then TZ, you might want to broaden your horizon and look to machines that offer depth, over theme. This will give you more out of your one machine. There are many that offer tons of modes, MB's and other crap to do, from some of early 90s DE (tommy, TFFC, LAH), to the same period for b/w (TAF (my fav), IJ, RS, TOM), to new sterns (TSPP, LOTR, WPT, SM).

Most of these machines have the point stacking and mod adventure to keep you interested on many levels.

#21 9 years ago

I think it's really if you lean more towards sys 11 or WPC.

#22 9 years ago

of the two EATPM would be my choice, I just like it better overall, no real reason or argument why, just do.

#23 9 years ago

I like the shots on SS better. I probably would keep that title for quite a while if I ever got hold of it.

#24 9 years ago

I have always preferred EATPM.More of a challenge IMO.Now I like SS also but would take EATPM and pocket an extra 3 Grand.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Sorry for the tangent, but if you can only own one, and since you've gone up to STTNG then TZ, you might want to broaden your horizon and look to machines that offer depth, over theme. This will give you more out of your one machine. There are many that offer tons of modes, MB's and other crap to do, from some of early 90s DE (tommy, TFFC, LAH), to the same period for b/w (TAF (my fav), IJ, RS, TOM), to new sterns (TSPP, LOTR, WPT, SM).
Most of these machines have the point stacking and mod adventure to keep you interested on many levels.

One fortunate thing, is that there are a good amount of fellow players where I live, and I've had the opportunity to meet other collectors and play their games. Some of my buddies have some really nice machines that I'm able to get my fix of different games, on, including some of those mentioned above.

The truth is, if I'm being honest with myself, and you guys, I'm a collector first, pinball enthusiast second. I collect several different things, pinball being one.

For me, probably half, maybe even more than half, of the the experience of owning a machine like this is to admire it for the work of art that I believe it to be. They are just such fascinating machines to me, in every detail, the music, the art, the lights... What they are designed to do. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is absolutely important to me... I wouldn't want to own a dud. So I'm not the type of collector that would want to own a machine just because it's rare, but it's no fun to play. It's got to be the total, visceral package to me. Sometimes I want to play it, sometimes I just want to admire it and listen to it. So theme is very important to me and my choice of machine, if that makes sense?

#26 9 years ago

I really like Scared Stiff. That said, I have more fun playing EATPM.

#27 9 years ago

I know it's late, but I added a poll.

#28 9 years ago

Scared Stiff! Nuff Said!

#29 9 years ago

EATPM is the poor man's SS

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Scared Stiff! Nuff Said!

I would doubt that highly.

#31 9 years ago

Can anyone make the argument? Sure, since a choice between the two is strictly a matter of personal preference. My buddy offered to trade his very nice Party Monsters for my proto Theatre of Magic a while back. I was considering a monstrous lineup along one wall that would have been (from left to right) EATPM, Elvira poster, SS, MB, CFTBL, Creature poster. But I couldn't part with my Theatre proto.

#32 9 years ago

I own EATPM,which is currently my only pin. I like tinkering and fixing it and there is no shortage on mine to do.
Hitting those Jackpot ramp shots will not get old anytime soon, as I'm no good at it yet,but the more I play the better I get and the funner it becomes. This pin's not going anywhere.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Can anyone make the argument? Sure, since a choice between the two is strictly a matter of personal preference. My buddy offered to trade his very nice Party Monsters for my proto Theatre of Magic a while back. I was considering a monstrous lineup along one wall that would have been (from left to right) EATPM, Elvira poster, SS, MB, CFTBL, Creature poster. But I couldn't part with my Theatre proto.

Let me ask you this, since you own both. Which do you think is more "bang for your buck" so to say, since EATPM is like half the cost of SS.

Do you find the price difference to be comparable to the enjoyment you get out of Scared Stiff to Party Monsters?

#34 9 years ago

I'm extremely surprised that your poll is as close as it is, I would have thought SS would win walking away

Scared Stiff is to me a much better game, I really wonder how many who think it is too easy have completed spider multiball?? Absolutely nothing wrong with EATPM, was and still is a great game, but SS is superior in just about every way IMO.

#35 9 years ago

I mean, the real answer is you find the space and put them side by side. I say I'd probably sell EATPM last, but honestly I probably play SS more often. I'm glad I don't have to choose.

#36 9 years ago

Had EATPM, have SS. I can't say one is better than the other. Either will do in any collection. IMHO.

#37 9 years ago

Scared Stiff is way too easy and the bad jokes will become tedious fast.

#38 9 years ago

Both by all means! I actually have two of each!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

EATPM is the poor man's SS

Could not have said this better. Don't get me wrong, i have owned both and SS is still in my collection. I would hate to only have room for 1 pin. Brett give me a call and come over and play some pins bro.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Scared Stiff is way too easy and the bad jokes will become tedious fast.

Nope, still love the callouts. Still lots of fun. Great game to have in a collection.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Could not have said this better. Don't get me wrong, i have owned both and SS is still in my collection. I would hate to only have room for 1 pin. Brett give me a call and come over and play some pins bro.

Thank you for the offer. As of right now, my schedule is just super packed. I'm playing guitar in a couple of local gigging bands for fun, and my wife is pregnant with our second child, due at the beginning of July. So between all of that, being a dad, and work, life gets away from you.

That's one of the biggest reasons I'm ready to motivate and make the switch, because I know when July gets here, I'm going to have a lot of "down" time (per se) at home, and it would be great to have a new game to ooh and ahh over

Definately in the future, though.

#42 9 years ago

I've owned both at the same time. Both beautifully restored examples. Both are fun. I sold EATPM some time ago to make room for another game. SS is still here.
-Ed

#43 9 years ago

I've had a few Scared Stiffs over the years as I kept upgrading. Don't get me wrong...I may get a Party Monsters someday as well....

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

Since you own both, which do you think is more "bang for your buck"? EATPM is like half the cost of SS.

Quoted from littlecammi:

My buddy offered to trade his very nice Party Monsters for my proto Theatre of Magic a while back, but I couldn't part with my Theatre proto.

I never had both. SS is one of my favorite games. I wouldn't trade my Theatre for his Party Monsters.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I never had both. SS is one of my favorite games. I wouldn't trade my Theatre for his Party Monsters.

Right, my bad, I was looking at your potential lineup as your actual lineup.

#46 9 years ago

Go with the SS....ya can't go wrong....Thank You Boys!

#47 9 years ago

Get the real deal

#48 9 years ago

EDIT: Sorry, duplicate post.

#49 9 years ago

I have both and neither are leaving anytime soon. SS is my favorite (of all time), but EATPM does capture the essence of Elvira in the 80's. Especially if you leave the GI as incandescent lamps instead of LEDs. The way that game glows with that artwork is a thing of beauty and a great player too.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I have both and neither are leaving anytime soon. SS is my favorite (of all time), but EATPM does capture the essence of Elvira in the 80's. Especially if you leave the GI as incandescent lamps instead of LEDs. The way that game glows with that artwork is a thing of beauty and a great player too.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about, and I totally would. Not a huge fan of LED's. I prefer the incandescent bulbs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 249.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

£ 39.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 18.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 38.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-anybody-make-the-argument-for-eatpm-over-scared-stiff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.