(Topic ID: 312744)

Could a lifetime reader on Iron Maiden have ever been resetted?

By L2CL2C

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by L2CL2C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2C90E70F-6D9F-4267-AB79-738E430283A4 (resized).jpeg
    EB0A8B3D-FC27-4588-AE13-48E9EC102608 (resized).jpeg
    FD167BDF-77A7-425E-98ED-F829CDB8829F (resized).jpeg
    5FA4E1A0-F975-46FE-BDC5-01FB4BE9D2B7 (resized).jpeg
    0098AF44-8B3E-4EF9-BDB2-029DD200A1F8 (resized).jpeg
    6476D366-CC20-4040-8AFA-7BFC31AFE2E4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi there,

I would like to know if there was/is a way to “reset” the lifetime reader on a Stern Iron Maiden.
    I was offered a machine with very low plays and would like to be certain that the number shown is correct and never has been resetted or “tinkered” with.
    Was/is there any way that the life time reader could have been resetted (trough update for example or be any other means)?

Best

#2 2 years ago

While plays may matter over time, the real question is the condition. Not all plays are equal.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Hi there,
    I would like to know if there was/is a way to “reset” the lifetime reader on a Stern Iron Maiden.
    I was offered a machine with very low plays and would like to be certain that the number shown is correct and never has been resetted or “tinkered” with.
    Was/is there any way that the life time reader could have been resetted (trough update for example or be any other means)?
    Best

Yes, lifetime plays can be reset on some of the older Spike 2 games depending on what code is installed.

When the game came out, software did not have lifetime plays in the audits, so every time you updated the code, the play count reset to zero. You could also reset the plays to zero yourself. Depending on when the game was manufactured, would determine which code was installed from the factory.

Once the software for lifetime plays has been installed, you would have to buy a new CPU for the game to reset them to zero. If you put a CPU in from a different game, the game count of the original game would come up and then whatever games you put on the machine would get added on.

I hope this helps.

#4 2 years ago

Thank you for your very detailed answer.
    Do you happen to know from what software on the lifetime function was active?
    Second I would need to see when the machine was produced to find out the initial software release from manufacturing. I am looking at a LE machine in Europe.
    Best

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Look at Iron Maiden's readme file and go back through the versions until you see lifetime plays added. You still won't know at what point that code was installed. Could have been last week.

You'll never know how many plays are on it. As someone said above, condition is king.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Look at Iron Maiden's readme file and go back through the versions until you see lifetime plays added. You still won't know at what point that code was installed. Could have been last week.
    You'll never know how many plays are on it. As someone said above, condition is king.

Correct.

And to add, as a seller, I wouldn’t have too much patience for the “play meter” rabbit hole. I mean I’ll send you a pic of the audit but once it comes down to the columbo routine on when exactly the code was updated and which code update records lifetime plays etc etc I’d probably stop paying attention.

Games like Maiden LE aren’t too hard to sell these days.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Thank you for your very detailed answer.
    Second I would need to see when the machine was produced to find out the initial software release from manufacturing. I am looking at a LE machine in Europe.
    Best

LE was originally produced in 2018 with software that could be altered. I am not sure which version of the software started the lifetime play count, I think it was around 2019 or 2020 that that happened.

Awesome game, we absolutely love ours. Good Luck!

#8 2 years ago

Thank you all for your help in this matter!
    Very helpful information
    Best
    John

#9 2 years ago

Thank you for the idea looking at the FW that added lifetime count:

V1.06.0 - January 9, 2019

- Added LIFETIME count to Standard Audit #16 "Total Plays"

So a machine that was manufactured past January 2019 should have had lifetime count installed from factory.
    Does anyone happen to know when the LE versions have been produced?
    Does anyone happen to know when Stern exactly produced the IM LE machines and if Stern produces all LE versions worldwide at the same time?

Best
    John

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Does anyone happen to know when Stern exactly produced the IM LE machines and if Stern produces all LE versions worldwide at the same time?

LE's are made near the start of production. Assume the lifetime audit is meaningless on this title as you have no idea when the update that preserves it was applied.

#11 2 years ago

The machine has its born on date stamped on the back of the cabinet.

But like all the posts above, the number is almost useless. It is all about condition.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Before January 2019.

Quoted from L2CL2C:

You're just gonna have to let this one go. Ask for a good photo of the shooter lane. It's a pretty good odometer.

#13 2 years ago

Even with shooterlane protector installed?

0098AF44-8B3E-4EF9-BDB2-029DD200A1F8 (resized).jpeg0098AF44-8B3E-4EF9-BDB2-029DD200A1F8 (resized).jpeg6476D366-CC20-4040-8AFA-7BFC31AFE2E4 (resized).jpeg6476D366-CC20-4040-8AFA-7BFC31AFE2E4 (resized).jpeg
    #14 2 years ago

This game has at least 500 plays on it. Actually what looks like ball trails could be glare on the glass. Just look the game over thoroughly. Play count is pretty meaningless.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Even with shooterlane protector installed?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

How many games is the owner saying is on the machine? We have been using playfield protectors for many years and have current games in our collection from 200 games to 4000 games with protectors on them. The playfield under the protector will be in really good condition if the protector was put on since new.

Best way to tell game count is by the coil dust where it is difficult to remove. I think the machine could be low play count as there is no coil dust in the switch slots or around the slings. Easiest way to tell is to remove the sling plastic to see how much coil dust is there. Machine could have been taken apart and completely cleaned too.

#16 2 years ago

Game has shooterlane and playfield protector on it and should have about 3xx plays on it
    What wonders me is that the Playfield protector looks quite “used”
    Could also be the picture quality.

5FA4E1A0-F975-46FE-BDC5-01FB4BE9D2B7 (resized).jpeg5FA4E1A0-F975-46FE-BDC5-01FB4BE9D2B7 (resized).jpeg
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And to add, as a seller, I wouldn’t have too much patience for the “play meter” rabbit hole.

Yep. If someone starts being super anal about things like this, you just know they’re gonna be trouble down the track. “I found a scratch under the playfield!!”

Plenty of buyers out there, you just move on to the next one.

rd

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This game has at least 500 plays on it. Actually what looks like ball trails could be glare on the glass. Just look the game over thoroughly. Play count is pretty meaningless.

The ball trails on the protector are a give away for sure. We are not good players so on that game it would take us 1000 games for the protector to look like that. For better players with longer ball times and 5 ball games, you could get there in 200 games or less.

You can clean the protector up easily with novus no2.

#19 2 years ago

A playfield protector is going to have scratches all over it after a few hundred plays. One of the reasons why they suck. If it has a playfield protector on it, buy it. The play count is even more meaningless with a playfield protector on it.

#20 2 years ago

I was just curious if a software update of an older machine could have resetted the total play count.
    The IM is a quite expensive game to buy, so I just want to be sure that I’m paying good money for a low play game.

Re Playfield protector - what Novus does one clean it with? Starting with No2 then move on to No1?

Thank you all for your replies - great Forum help here!

2C90E70F-6D9F-4267-AB79-738E430283A4 (resized).jpeg2C90E70F-6D9F-4267-AB79-738E430283A4 (resized).jpegEB0A8B3D-FC27-4588-AE13-48E9EC102608 (resized).jpegEB0A8B3D-FC27-4588-AE13-48E9EC102608 (resized).jpegFD167BDF-77A7-425E-98ED-F829CDB8829F (resized).jpegFD167BDF-77A7-425E-98ED-F829CDB8829F (resized).jpeg

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

Game has shooterlane and playfield protector on it and should have about 3xx plays on it
    What wonders me is that the Playfield protector looks quite “used”
    Could also be the picture quality.[quoted image]

I just checked our IMDNLE for you. We bought it NIB and fitted protector and shooter lane cliffys before plunging a ball. It has 1200 genuine 3 ball games on it. Not too long ball times, we are average players. We thoroughly clean our machines every 250 games (with Novus No1), inspect and tumble the balls every 250 games, use a damp cloth the wipe out as much coils dust as possible every 250 games, make repairs when needed.

Our protector has less wear than that. Like others have said, condition is everything.

Good luck. I am off to work.

#22 2 years ago

The only way I am aware to reset lifetime plays on a spike 2 is to replace the cpu

#23 2 years ago

That protector looks like shit. I’d imagine waxing it would make it look like that also. Agree w/ others that replacing the cpu is the only way to clear plays now.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from L2CL2C:

I was just curious if a software update of an older machine could have resetted the total play count.

Yea it’s possible.

Condition should be the only concern when evaluating a game. Just inspect it well, and you’ll be fine. A game with 100 plays could look like it has 1000 and vice versa.

#25 2 years ago

I guess you are right on this.
    Maybe just put a new PFP on it instead of trying to clean the existing one.

We already discussed above that IM got the Lifetime count in FW 1.06
    What happened between release FW and the moment that FW 1.06 or higher was installed no one can tell. I am not aware on what pinball Stern added the lifetime count in release firmware. I assume every pinball released in 2019.

#26 2 years ago

It’s extremely difficult to tell the condition of that game because the seller can’t be assed to clean the glass!
    It looks like they spit-shined it and called it a day lol!

Game looks really nice but seller doesn’t know how to use windex apparently

#27 2 years ago

A play count can be reset easily by anyone determined enough, it truly is meaningless unless you are an operator. I’m sure they can be reset on anything.

Sounds like you should stick to NIB pins to eliminate any possible foul play(s) from any sellers. It would be a piece of mind for you.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s extremely difficult to tell the condition of that game because the seller can’t be assed to clean the glass!
    It looks like they spit-shined it and called it a day lol!
    Game looks really nice but seller doesn’t know how to use windex apparently

Lol we found the seller! Randomly the ONLY PERSON to get downvoted by theadicts77
    Lmao someone is offended about dirty glass!

#29 2 years ago

NIB is the safest way for sure - but:

NIB IM LE are very hard to find in Europe right now and quite expensive if you do.

Apart from that NIB is a lottery to some extent. Got delivered my NIB Elvira 40th and the legs have been missing in the carton. Luckily my dealer had a second one where he took out the legs and is now waiting for replacement from stern. Try to get something like this done buying a NIB from a private seller on a machine that is 3.5 years old.
    Other friends of mine sometimes also have had issues with NIB Stern machines. It can be a lottery.

Although you are right I am more a NIB guy that keeps his pins in perfect condition it is a bit „sad“ to buy a NIB collectors pin way over past list price just to open and use it (as it was intended to be in the first place)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-a-lifetime-reader-on-iron-maiden-have-ever-been-resetted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.