Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_7342_(Large).JPG
    Energizer_AA.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

I know any battery can leak, and you need to be proactive and replace them. But I've had terrible luck with Costco's Kirkland AA batteries. They have leaked in several clocks, my kid's toys, and they almost ruined a wireless transmitter for a weather station. In the last month I've probably come across four that have leaked. I've had other batteries leak, but never this many and this consistently. Some Google searching shows that I'm not the only one having problems with them. I'm taking them out of all my pins tomorrow. I'm also going to contact anyone I've sold a pin to and have them check if I put these batteries in them, and tell them to replace them if they have them. If you have any of them in your pins, get rid of them.

Edit: The ones that leaked in the wireless transmitter are dated March 2014.

#2 12 years ago

Only Energizer batteries for me,they last longer than any others I have tried.
    I really like the Bunny !!!

#3 12 years ago

energizer good batteries

#4 12 years ago

Energizer and Duracell = made in America. 'nuf said.

Johnny

#5 12 years ago

I have heard from many that Duracell or Energizer are the only way to go...other than replacing the chip and going with no batteries. I use Duracell and have been pretty lucky.

#6 12 years ago

I have Energizer lithiums in all my pins.

#7 12 years ago

"I'm also going to contact anyone I've sold a pin to and have them check..."

It's like you've spread the STD and have to make "that" call. Made me laugh.

Energizer or duracells.. usually from The Depot in the giant packs (I have a child).

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from thebrave:

Energizer and Duracell = made in America. 'nuf said.

I really doubt this. Consumer Reports did an extensive report on batteries something like 5 years ago. In it they mentioned that there are only a few manufacturers (something like 4) and all the different brands spec their batteries to them and have them produced. It is a pretty good bet that any alkaline AA battery by any brand is made in China. I could be wrong, and I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I have a feeling I'm not.

I've pulled leaking Energizers and Duracells from pins, they aren't immune to the problem. These Costco batteries are just really bad compared to Energizer and Duracell.

#9 12 years ago

I have been buying kirkland batteries for years and have only had two leak. I wonder what is going on, usually Costco has higher quality.

#10 12 years ago

Energizers in mine. I keep stock of AAs for my 360 controllers and my kids' Wii controllers

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I have been buying kirkland batteries for years and have only had two leak. I wonder what is going on, usually Costco has higher quality.

It could be a bad run and limited to a certain time period. Or it could be a fault with their design. So I don't know if it is a glitch or an inherent problem with all of them. I think the batch I'm having problems with had an expiration of 2014. I wish I had saved all the ones that leaked so I could compare.

All I know is I've never had this many batteries leak, ever. Luckily I saved the wireless transmitter for my weather station. I neutralized the alkaline with vinegar, scraped it off, and washed it with alcohol. It still didn't work. I went back and did some more clean up and scraping and got it going again. It is all surface mount components so if it died, it was a goner.

Edit: The ones that leaked in the wireless transmitter are dated March 2014.

#12 12 years ago

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1251

First thing I install in EVERY pin I own. Plus energizers to be safe.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Me too gweem!
    Can't be too careful...

#14 12 years ago

Generic batteries are utter garbage. At best, they perform poorly and run out sooner. At worst, they leak.

Some of the cheaper brands of AA batteries are something about the size of an AAA battery, wrapped in plastic and a fake case to make them look like an AA battery. I've seen batteries that lasted 20 minutes in a CD player (back when people still used CD players).

I've been using the Energizer Lithium batteries myself, too. Havn't had to replace them on anything i've used them in.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I use the lithiums in my digital camera. I was skeptical, but the lithiums are the real deal. They last a long time. At least three times longer than regular batteries, but possibly as much as 5 times longer.

Quoted from coasterguy:

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1251

First thing I install in EVERY pin I own. Plus energizers to be safe.

The battery holder is the way to go. It's the cost of three pairs of batteries and then you're worry free for this long:

#17 12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

I only use lithiums in my pins. Not only do they last longer but they are built stronger. Lithium is a hazmat and when it gets wet it can start a fire.

I normally only use energizer or duracell. I have a bunch of radio shack bats because the local one went out of business. Not sure who makes theirs.

#18 12 years ago

I use Rayovac for all my battery needs including in my pins. I've had no trouble at all with them. They are cheap at walmart too

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

I use Rayovac for all my battery needs including in my pins. I've had no trouble at all with them.

That is pretty much all I use too. No issues as of yet and still made in the USA.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

I could be wrong, and I wouldn't mind being wrong, but I have a feeling I'm not.

I tried to get photos of the "Made in USA" on the Duracell and Energizer packaging and the batteries themselves, but I couldn't get it focused. They are definitely made in America.

Johnny

#21 12 years ago

I tried to get photos of the "Made in USA" on the Duracell and Energizer packaging and the batteries themselves, but I couldn't get it focused.

You have to use your camera's macro setting:

Energizer_AA.JPGEnergizer_AA.JPG

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from thebrave:

I tried to get photos of the "Made in USA" on the Duracell and Energizer packaging and the batteries themselves, but I couldn't get it focused. They are definitely made in America.

Johnny

Quoted from gweempose:

You have to use your camera's macro setting:

Awesome. Thanks guys.

#23 12 years ago

For grins, I took a look at the Costco Kirkland batteries. So much for that theory.

DSC_7342_(Large).JPGDSC_7342_(Large).JPG

#24 12 years ago

I too have been bit by Kirkland AA batteries. I've had them leak in my wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and Wii / Gamecube controllers.

Quoted from stangbat:

Consumer Reports did an extensive report on batteries something like 5 years ago.

Batteries are probably pretty much the same, but I think Consumer Reports has lost their way lately. They are Toyota happy, don't properly evaluate electronics, and last year they claimed the iPhone was the best smartphone but didn't recommend it. Huh?

Quoted from donjagra:

usually Costco has higher quality.

Agreed. Costco stills gets my money, just for the duracell AA. I have not had Duracells leak. Maybe luck... maybe not.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinbob:

I think Consumer Reports has lost their way lately. They are Toyota happy, don't properly evaluate electronics, and last year they claimed the iPhone was the best smartphone but didn't recommend it. Huh?

I couldn't agree more. Consumer Reports is great for some things like appliances, laundry detergent, etc ... but I never rely on them for electronics. As someone who used to sell electronics for a living, I can tell you that you have to take what they say with a grain of salt. You are much better off with CNET, AVS Forum, or an A/V magazine such as Sound & Vision or Home Theater.

#26 12 years ago

I've had every brand of battery leak. Kirkland, Duracell, Energizer... Radio Shack, Panasonic, Leap, Sony... I think the worst actually were the Panasonics. Certainly I haven't seen any pattern lately of Kirkland leaking more than Duracell, and I use both in AA and AAA sizes regularly. I haven't had a battery leak "early" in a long time, and usually find them in old items that I forgot to empty. Amazingly, I've never had anything ruined by a leaking cell.

As for Duracell, for about 2 years I had an issue where at least 25% of all AAA cells I purchased were either dead right out of the package, or would last for a few weeks and then die. So nothing is immune to problems. At the price of Kirkland cells... just replace them every 2 years instead of every 5!

#27 12 years ago

I write the month and year on all the batteries in my pins with a sharpie. That way I know how long each set has been in the pin.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/costco-kirkland-aa-batteries and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.