(Topic ID: 137131)

Cost to Build Custom Stern-like Machine?

By keithm

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SpaceGhost
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

072808-stepbrothers.jpg
    fugetaboutit.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Yeah, maybe a few groans out there, as I read a few past threads about building custom pinball machines. But I'm curious and pipe dreaming! Let's say you wanted to build a custom machine with the modern bells & whistles and had the resources to do so. How much would it ballpark?

Parts are...I don't know...$1500 or so?

Let's say you have no technical skills--you're the business guy or whatever. You'd need to hire: Someone to draw up the "blueprints" for what you want your field to have, someone to create the custom features on the field (ex: the Gene Simmons head), a graphic designer, an electrical engineer (?) of some sort who could make all the parts work together, a programmer who could program your fancy ruleset.

Then you gotta call them all back after beta testing to work out the kinks. Even if you lured a few college graduates to keep the cost down you're still talking about employing skilled labor for months, at least.

There are ballpark numbers, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual numbers they spent on such a project. Or how a place like Spooky or Heighway got the ball rolling with their first titles.

I saw a couple sites online saying they could build you a custom machine, though I didn't ask for any quotes. And after getting my butt kicked on Metallica, Iron Man, Tron, and AC/DC this afternoon I'm curious!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from 80stoonpin:

parts alone would be closer to $8000.

$8000...holy cow. So the pins going for under that ($5000-7000) are benefiting from mass production?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stern spends $1,000,000 on a game for full development.

Makes sense, given their resources. Do you think the smaller boutique places are spending that? I've only seen videos of the Heighway and Spooky stuff, but their operations look smaller while the games appear to be the same quality.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from ttown:

I can see it now.. Spray paint, duct tape and J-B Weld.. $1500 later. Pinball. That guy with the Striker Extreme idea sounds about as close as you are going to get.

Maybe that's the next generation of pinball, putting them together with junkyard parts. Landfill chic.

#19 8 years ago

They were trying to sell it as a one off?

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly ^^^^
    Now for reference, in quantity 1000, a cab from CCC costs $400 assembled, painted and decalled.
    So we learn 2 things:
    1. You need a good volume to get good pricing.
    2. Never pay retail.

Yeah, never pay retail. Then I wonder about a startup wanting to enter pinball production. They would need to create a prototype, no? It would be crazy to jump in with 1000 units not knowing if there were a market for them.

Wasn't America's Most Haunted limited to 150 units at $6000 a game?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider keithm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-to-build-custom-stern-like-machine?tu=keithm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.