(Topic ID: 137131)

Cost to Build Custom Stern-like Machine?

By keithm

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SpaceGhost
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

072808-stepbrothers.jpg
    fugetaboutit.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Yeah, maybe a few groans out there, as I read a few past threads about building custom pinball machines. But I'm curious and pipe dreaming! Let's say you wanted to build a custom machine with the modern bells & whistles and had the resources to do so. How much would it ballpark?

Parts are...I don't know...$1500 or so?

Let's say you have no technical skills--you're the business guy or whatever. You'd need to hire: Someone to draw up the "blueprints" for what you want your field to have, someone to create the custom features on the field (ex: the Gene Simmons head), a graphic designer, an electrical engineer (?) of some sort who could make all the parts work together, a programmer who could program your fancy ruleset.

Then you gotta call them all back after beta testing to work out the kinks. Even if you lured a few college graduates to keep the cost down you're still talking about employing skilled labor for months, at least.

There are ballpark numbers, but I'm wondering if anyone has actual numbers they spent on such a project. Or how a place like Spooky or Heighway got the ball rolling with their first titles.

I saw a couple sites online saying they could build you a custom machine, though I didn't ask for any quotes. And after getting my butt kicked on Metallica, Iron Man, Tron, and AC/DC this afternoon I'm curious!

#2 8 years ago

parts alone would be closer to $8000.

#3 8 years ago

The kicker is doing one off parts and mechs. If you can do your own fabrication, 3d printing, assembly, ramp molding, have a treasure trove of parts and have the desire to work for free, maybe 2k.

#4 8 years ago

If you just buy a Striker Extreme you're done and under budget!

#5 8 years ago

Ask John Popadiuk!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from 80stoonpin:

parts alone would be closer to $8000.

$8000...holy cow. So the pins going for under that ($5000-7000) are benefiting from mass production?

#7 8 years ago

Stern spends $1,000,000 on a game for full development.

Make sure the game takes standard parts. Legs, glass, lockdown bar....don't reinvent the wheel.

If you were building your own game, you get to cherry pick the very best playfield parts.

So Williams flippers from the WPC era, Bally drop target mechs from late 70s, Bally pops from the 80s...... the patents have expired on all that stuff, so if you build something and there is commercial interest, you are free to go.

Then you need a platform, and a programmer who is familiar with the language. Bally -35? FAST? P-ROC?

Then you need the art talent.

Then you need the music talent.

Then you need all the voice acting talent.

You need some CAD guys, someone who has access to a CNC router, maybe a 3d printer?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

$8000...holy cow. So the pins going for under that ($5000-7000) are benefiting from mass production?

Nah, that's way high. Your original $1500 should be just fine. Custom molding the parts is only a few bucks. And if you have a yard with trees you have plenty of wood for the cab and playfield. A bit of glue and a can of latex from Home Depot and you're on your way to showing these guys a thing or two.

#9 8 years ago

I can see it now.. Spray paint, duct tape and J-B Weld.. $1500 later. Pinball. That guy with the Striker Extreme idea sounds about as close as you are going to get.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stern spends $1,000,000 on a game for full development.

Makes sense, given their resources. Do you think the smaller boutique places are spending that? I've only seen videos of the Heighway and Spooky stuff, but their operations look smaller while the games appear to be the same quality.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from ttown:

I can see it now.. Spray paint, duct tape and J-B Weld.. $1500 later. Pinball. That guy with the Striker Extreme idea sounds about as close as you are going to get.

Maybe that's the next generation of pinball, putting them together with junkyard parts. Landfill chic.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

Makes sense, given their resources. Do you think the smaller boutique places are spending that? I've only seen videos of the Heighway and Spooky stuff, but their operations look smaller while the games appear to be the same quality.

Easily--and probably more--considering many of them are reinventing the wheel, doing their own boardsets, throwing in new designs, concepts, and technologies, etc., and gearing up for production. Just doing a one-off custom game from spare parts and existing platforms wouldn't cost nearly as much.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

Do you think the smaller boutique places are spending that?

Not at all.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from ttown:

I can see it now.. Spray paint, duct tape and J-B Weld..

This gives me an idea for a theme. Sort of like a Red Green pinball.

#15 8 years ago

it's impossible to estimate unless you have a volume number. If you figure JUST the cabinet alone (if you're buying single off-the-shelf parts, not re-designing your own)

$280 - flatpack WPC cabinet
    $80 - flatpack backbox cabinet
    $30 - back box glass
    $5 - backbox latch
    $9- hinges
    $8 - lift channel
    $30 - speaker panel
    $6 - speaker panel hooks

Pball life
    $47 - WPC steel side rails
    $10 - set of 4 leg brackets
    $5 - 8 leg bolts
    $49 - williams legs
    $4 - set of 4 feet
    $64 - lockdown bar
    $79 - lockdown bar reciever
    $145 - coindoor
    $9 - tilt bob assembly
    $20 - playfield glass
    $10 - playfield channels
    ------------
    $890

And you haven't included any buttons or any artwork yet, and that's just the cabinet. You still haven't added driverboards, speakers, amps, power supply, or the playfield itself

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

You still haven't added driverboards, speakers, amps, power supply, or the playfield itself

Coin Mechs!

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

Maybe that's the next generation of pinball, putting them together with junkyard parts. Landfill chic.

Its called a Ratpin, like in a Ratrod car.

#18 8 years ago

We've seen a game with no license fees paid, no interactive toys, built in a basement, priced at barely break even $4750. And that was with no margin left for distributors to resell it.

#19 8 years ago

They were trying to sell it as a one off?

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

it's impossible to estimate unless you have a volume number. If you figure JUST the cabinet alone (if you're buying single off-the-shelf parts, not re-designing your own)
    $280 - flatpack WPC cabinet
    $80 - flatpack backbox cabinet
    $30 - back box glass
    $5 - backbox latch
    $9- hinges
    $8 - lift channel
    $30 - speaker panel
    $6 - speaker panel hooks
    Pball life
    $47 - WPC steel side rails
    $10 - set of 4 leg brackets
    $5 - 8 leg bolts
    $49 - williams legs
    $4 - set of 4 feet
    $64 - lockdown bar
    $79 - lockdown bar reciever
    $145 - coindoor
    $9 - tilt bob assembly
    $20 - playfield glass
    $10 - playfield channels
    ------------
    $890
    And you haven't included any buttons or any artwork yet, and that's just the cabinet. You still haven't added driverboards, speakers, amps, power supply, or the playfield itself

Exactly ^^^^

Now for reference, in quantity 1000, a cab from CCC costs $400 assembled, painted and decalled.

So we learn 2 things:

1. You need a good volume to get good pricing.

2. Never pay retail.

fugetaboutit.jpgfugetaboutit.jpg

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly ^^^^
    Now for reference, in quantity 1000, a cab from CCC costs $400 assembled, painted and decalled.
    So we learn 2 things:
    1. You need a good volume to get good pricing.
    2. Never pay retail.

Yeah, never pay retail. Then I wonder about a startup wanting to enter pinball production. They would need to create a prototype, no? It would be crazy to jump in with 1000 units not knowing if there were a market for them.

Wasn't America's Most Haunted limited to 150 units at $6000 a game?

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

Then I wonder about a startup wanting to enter pinball production. They would need to create a prototype, no?

If you were just using classic Bally cab dimensions, you can lay the cab parts on a sheet of plywood and cut an exact replica with a pattern bit.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from keithm:

Exactly. It's a new generation of custom pinball machines. Hipster custom pins. Nice condition pins are for losers. We are on to something here it is time to sell you nice pins.

#24 8 years ago

I think the only cost "effective" way to build a custom machine would be to 're-skin an existing game and use a p-roc system.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the only cost "effective" way to build a custom machine would be to 're-skin an existing game and use a p-roc system.

exactly, the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole

#26 8 years ago

072808-stepbrothers.jpg072808-stepbrothers.jpg

Quoted from PanzerFreak:I think the only cost "effective" way to build a custom machine would be to 're-skin an existing game and use a p-roc system.

Snore-Roc. We want something like this.. Something that says "Yea I'm crafty but I also have style"

#27 8 years ago

I think you could do it for $2,500. Calling in favors or having donor items would help more. Remember...do not reinvent the wheel(like someone already said). A simple bash toy and std parts is the way to go. I have thought about doing thus myself.

#28 8 years ago

It costs a lot! Especially if you just do one.

2 years later
    #29 6 years ago

I'm looking at doing this same thing although I work for and have access to a full shop. I'm actually looking for others to work with on a combined-effort custom pin.

I have I can 3D model, 3D print, CNC ramp bucks, Vacuum form, weld, water jet, laser cut vinyl print, automotive paint booth, full wood shop, mold shop and silks screening all in-house.

What I can't do is program the game driver boards. I think that the total cost of the mechanical parts, leds, lamp sockets, driver boards, etc. would probably run about $2000 to $3000 depending on how much you do. The cabinet parts and hardware is minimal by comparison to all the electronics.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I have I can 3D model, 3D print, CNC ramp bucks, Vacuum form, weld, water jet, laser cut vinyl print, automotive paint booth, full wood shop, mold shop and silks screening all in-house.

You wanna take some pinball jobs? how big is your vacuum former?

Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I think that the total cost of the mechanical parts, leds, lamp sockets, driver boards, etc. would probably run about $2000 to $3000 depending on how much you do

I would get most of the assemblies (flippers, slings, drop targets, ball trough) and any other misc parts you can like rubbers and posts from pinball life. They have a great homebrew section now. As far as the cabinet, the side rails, lockbar, and lockbar mech new will run you like $260, ideally you want to find those used, or keep a look out for a used cabinet.

Whoever you get to program your game is going to sort of define what electronics you get. If they are comfortable in P-ROC, that's what you'll be buying. If they are ok with mission framework, you can go either FAST hardware or OPP.

I'd spend some time here:
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

What I can't do is program the game driver boards.

Don't reinvent the wheel here, either. If you are going DIY completely, use one of the existing projects, like the Open Pinball Project hardware. Or roll your own with a microcontroller(I did it this way, because of the constraints of my situation). Use a Raspberry Pi 3 with Mission Pinball Framework for the rules and the overall control. You can do most of the game with just configuration files and no custom programming.
    I would start simple. Go to http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, hit up the "Files Section" and grab a playfield DXF. Cut it out with your CNC machine, mount some aftermarket or ebay parts and work on a proof of concept. I've started with populated playfields, but my goal is also a complete DIY game at the end.

EDIT: LOL, someone beat me to the submit

8 months later
    #32 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I'm looking at doing this same thing although I work for and have access to a full shop. I'm actually looking for others to work with on a combined-effort custom pin.
    What I can't do is program the game driver boards. I think that the total cost of the mechanical parts, leds, lamp sockets, driver boards, etc. would probably run about $2000 to $3000 depending on how much you do. The cabinet parts and hardware is minimal by comparison to all the electronics.

LOL. I just read my post from last year.... Man was I WAY off! If you are purchasing new components instead of stealing from donor machines or buying used, for a modern style machine, consider the costs to be more like $6000 to $8000

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-to-build-custom-stern-like-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.