(Topic ID: 298410)

Cost / bill of materials for building a completely new cabinet & back box?

By Thoughtfulsardin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Nardax
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE5878FE-DB1D-4F44-ADFE-ED39FD66F40A (resized).jpeg
1DEE51F5-63B3-4156-8A36-F382A421A444 (resized).jpeg
35E448BA-BC6C-41F1-AD71-8BEFE9C32E35 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kickout.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago

I've built cabinets mainly for EM pins. They are not that difficult to build, after you have done a few. For the material I use pure birch 3/4" plywood, runs around $48 - 60 per sheet depend where you buy it, and how many sheet you purchase. I can get the bottom cabinet and back box cabinet out of a single sheet. For the backbox trim and corner bracing I buy clear birch. This is a good material for painting, done right you get a nice smooth finish, I only provide a smooth finished cabinet, the buyer has to provide his own final paint or decals. For the bottom board of the cabinet I use pure birch 1/2" plywood.

If you are going to charge by the hour for your time the cost of building one cabinet will seem to be high. If you charge per cabinet, and are not too concerned about making a full time wage, this is a good part time business. I could produce one finished cabinet per week.

My background has been in carpentry for 40 years, so I had all the equipment and suppliers available to me. If you are just starting out, I would recommend a good panel saw for plywood material cutting, beats a table saw any day, a HVLP paint system. Hope this helps you a little.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kickout.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-of-materials-for-building-a-completely-new-cabinet?tu=Kickout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.