• Build a $10K machine 7 votes
    23%
  • I’m fine with the sub $5K Pin I own 15 votes
    48%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7472eaabb44370f1cc358bd49d568f55cdc5cce7 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mamawaldee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

A couple years ago I contacted Wally about doing a Monster Bash and joined his group of people who build WPC games from scratch. If you want to try that, he is a very nice guy and they can certainly help you.

Same issue for me as the OP, the price of MB just pissed me off and I refused to pay it but still wanted the game. If memory serves, at that time there was a Frank assembly on Ebay for around $1k and the consensus was that we needed to start reproducing some unobtainium parts since CGC won't do it. At the time MB was pushing $10k - $13k. That unobtainium Frank part for such a ridiculous price just killed the idea for me to try and build a game from scratch.

I could see myself buying a donor NBAFB, getting the MB decals, making the cabinet, creating the wire harness, get a repro PF, etc. I was afraid I'd get to the end and one of two things would happen, either some unobtainium part would remain forever missing, or MBR would come to fruition and make the whole thing obsolete. Then you have a parts machine to get rid of at a loss.

The remake effect is such that the A-listers that are not immediately next in the queue quickly ascend to ridiculous price as the speculators try to get their money out. I saw that as a sign to get some B-list B/W games at decent prices and forget A-list until the remakes in current production include the title that I want. Then seek out an original for a better price or get the remake. I prefer an original but loath hunting one down, so its a matter of convenience.

I am in a similar boat as you, TOTAN is on the list of games I want. It is effectively the new Monster Bash for today. I won't pay $10k for it.
Although not on CGC's published list, at this price level that can change. If I were you, I would wait and definitely not look at building the machine from scratch.

3 years later
#72 2 years ago

Resurrecting the dead here. This thread was three years old, todays prices are so freaking bad, I'm curious what the opinions of building these same pins would be today. There are alot of talented people here, maybe we can pool resources to achieve the impossible and cheat the market. Because the market sucks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
PinSound

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 36.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 119.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mamawaldee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-of-building-90-s-pins-vs-buying?tu=mamawaldee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.