Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Dooskie
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spidermanlicensing (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.10.09 AM (resized).png
    There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Distributors take probably a $500 cu

Are you kidding me distributors have a 100% markup a $5000 game distributors make $2500

#102 7 years ago

2k to 2.5k max

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Are you kidding me distributors have a 100% markup a $5000 game distributors make $2500

Not any more. ( if they ever did )

LTG : )

#104 7 years ago

Here's probably a better question "anyone care to speculate on the cost to build a machine for a few hundred posts and not ever get an answer because no one who actually knows would ever divulge that?"

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The cost of running a business today is absurd - payroll, taxes, insurance, overhead, marketing, inventory - if you have never run a business, you don't have a fricken clue.
    If you can't afford a NIB and don't like the price, bitch and moan - fine.
    But, to get on your soapbox and figure out how much stern deserves to make on each pin is fucking absurd.

That's a nice rant, but you don't factor in nice tax incentives and other incentives thrown around by states and municipalities to keep or attract businesses, particularly bricks-and-mortar manufacturing businesses. I am very well aware of the costs of running a business and for every expense you quote above I can quote strategies to mitigate and sometimes even eliminate out of pocket costs.

And, for someone who seems to be posting as an expert on business, your line "if you can't afford a NIB and don't like the price, bitch and moan - fine" is short-sighted and absurd. I don't by NIB, by choice, but I am offended and personally effected by these cash grab price schemes because it:

a. Elevates the prices of pins in general as sellers think their stuff is worth more by relative measure. Have you seen the asking price for pins since Expo? There are more than a few examples of some really aggressive pricing for pins....$10K for LOTR??? GTFOH!
    b. Shrinks the number of new pins in the wild. Pins are becoming too expensive for operators who have other choices like ticket games, etc. What if I would like to actually go play a couple of games on a pin rather than dropping the cost of a late model used car on one? My choices are getting less and less.
    c. Chases people out of the hobby. As prices elevate, simple finances make people find other choices to spend their discretionary money. My experience has been the people that don't drop $7-12K on NIB games are actually the ones who love pinball and bring value to the hobby. Alot of those upper end NIB buyers? Posers who enjoy showing off what they have. Now this is not saying that is everyone, but I've met more than a handful of these high-end buyers and the majority of them I wouldn't share a beer with even if they were buying.

#106 7 years ago

I vote for the best of both worlds outlook:

Regular games: Expensive due to company expenses
    Batman 66: Douchebaggery

There, now we're ALL right! /thread

#107 7 years ago

Distributors, in the good times, made no more than 30%. Today, it is probably closer to 15-20%.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LMAO

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

yeah....no

#110 7 years ago

I think distributors make more off games than you think...just based on a couple of personal conversations. No exact numbers to share

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

That's a nice rant, but you don't factor in nice tax incentives and other incentives thrown around by states and municipalities to keep or attract businesses, particularly bricks-and-mortar manufacturing businesses. I am very well aware of the costs of running a business and for every expense you quote above I can quote strategies to mitigate and sometimes even eliminate out of pocket costs.
    And, for someone who seems to be posting as an expert on business, your line "if you can't afford a NIB and don't like the price, bitch and moan - fine" is short-sighted and absurd. I don't by NIB, by choice, but I am offended and personally effected by these cash grab price schemes because it:
    a. Elevates the prices of pins in general as sellers think their stuff is worth more by relative measure. Have you seen the asking price for pins since Expo? There are more than a few examples of some really aggressive pricing for pins....$10K for LOTR??? GTFOH!
    b. Shrinks the number of new pins in the wild. Pins are becoming too expensive for operators who have other choices like ticket games, etc. What if I would like to actually go play a couple of games on a pin rather than dropping the cost of a late model used car on one? My choices are getting less and less.
    c. Chases people out of the hobby. As prices elevate, simple finances make people find other choices to spend their discretionary money. My experience has been the people that don't drop $7-12K on NIB games are actually the ones who love pinball and bring value to the hobby. Alot of those upper end NIB buyers? Posers who enjoy showing off what they have. Now this is not saying that is everyone, but I've met more than a handful of these high-end buyers and the majority of them I wouldn't share a beer with even if they were buying.

You also forgot the 2 2.5 yr of cost before Stern sells a game and as for game prices collectors drive the price of a LOTR up to $10,000 not Stern. I bought a CV for $3000 6 yr back now they sell $8500 again also collectors driving up the price

#112 7 years ago

Distributors make far less than it seems that people in this thread believe.

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Bottom line is this: I just wish people would think a little bit more before they start trashing a company about their pricing. I wish people understood business a little bit more, and what it takes to operate a business. I'm not sticking up for Stern, JJP or anybody else. But people are so hung up on prices, and thinking they are getting ripped off. If you don't like the price, if you can't afford the price, quit whining about it and do something about it.

I'm not trashing anyone. I respect and admire most of the people working in the pinball industry. I do complain about the higher prices and have decided not to pay them.

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There are more costs to consider than just BoM.
    Stern moved to a new, larger building. Stern hired more people. There's cost associated with all of that, and it has to come from somewhere. They've developed 2 new platforms and had to develop for an LCD now.
    Not saying that I agree with their choices or pricing, just that I see how costs could have doubled in the past 5 years.

Not a chance. If a manufacturing company found a way to double its costs in such a short period of time, you would have their entire management layer looking for new jobs after being fired for incompetence.

8 months later
    #115 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Not a chance. If a manufacturing company found a way to double its costs in such a short period of time, you would have their entire management layer looking for new jobs after being fired for incompetence.

agreed

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-for-stern-jjp-to-build-a-pinball-machine/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.