View topic image gallery

IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 8 years ago

I am not sure what "High end Restore" really means. I guess it is the anal civil engineer in me that just hates vague terminology instead of detailed punch list/specifications. FTW,
Here is what I just finished on my WW restoration. The game had been re-imported at some point and some hacks done to some underplayfield boards and to the interconnect board that were not serious, just needed correction.
List of things done:
Base game cost 1600-- about 6 years ago.
New CPR Repro playfield a 10 hour roundtrip drive to inspect and pickup the PF ( I was on the CPR list for 1.5 years but did not get "the e-mail from them" before they sold out so I looked for one for over a year and paid a little premium for it but it was fair).
Applied three coats of Minwax water based Polycrylic satin to under side of new PF
New PPS Nex Gen V2.0 cabinet decals 255
New legs and leg levelers from PBL 70
New extended leg bolts 5
New inside cabinet corner leg bolt brackets installed 20
New outside corner metal cab protector brackets from PBL(I doubled these up to get legs completely off the new cab decals the single ones are just too damn thin from PBL) 30
New ball trough bracket 10
New back cabinet hinge and latch 6
New drop targets and new drop target decals 25
Underplayfield Scoop and VUK assemblies re-welded and polished
New Main and right ramps and decals from Pinball fantasy 220
New white cabinet topper and decals from Pinball fantasy 80
New lift ramp and steel flap ( I make the flaps myself from blue sheet steel and and my rivet press) 25
New CPR PF plastics-- all PF Plastic signs/habitrail brackets and ramps with metal brackets were riveted as they were from factory originally 150
New Pinbits PF plastic protectors 25
Cliffy main ramp, Scoop and ball shooter lane protectors 70
New flipper bats 10
NOS translite from PBL 50
New translite glass lift channel molding and side and top molding 10
New PF Glass 25
New cabinet PF glass slide moulding 5
All coils cleaned and new coil wrappers installed
Installed new Coils and flipper rebuild kits from PBR on all flippers 125
All PF steel ball guides polished with Scotch brite, buffed cleaned and waxed
New Pop Bumper caps 24
All six pop bumper completely rebuilt with all new parts, Lamp sockets, flipper rings, wafers, bases, coil plungers, springs, steel and fiber yokes, spoons, switches, bumper caps rebuilt 100% with all new parts (guess 50)
New slingshot kicker arms and new slingshot switches 35
New pF scoring switches 15
100% new Plastic Star Posts 15
All metal posts Berry polished
Under playfield assemblies rebuilt with new parts, plungers links, sleeves and I converted to crimped Molex connectors for quick disconnects/ ease of assembly and and future cleaning
all PF and backbox Wire harnesses removed and hand cleaned
lamp sockets cleaned/some replaced
Some PF micro switches replaced
Whirlwind spinning disk mechanism completely dissambled, cleaned.
Whirlwind fan cleaned, cabinet mounting bracket cleaned, sanded and painted with Eastwood Silver Argent Wheel paint and cleared
All metal brackets and PF assemblies cleaned with ultrasonic cleaner, run 24 hours in Berry vibratory polisher and hand polished with mothers.
DMD driver board, Power and aux power boards were bullet proofed with rebuild kits from GPE
New GI header pins added to Interconnect board for PF and Back cabinet insert board. crimped Molex connectors added to replace IDC connectors from GPE.
New (home run) GI transformer harness made and installed from wire from BAA (factory wire color and gauge)
Correct fuses added to Line filter box and correct size varistor (Mov) installed
New Line cord 10
New Cabinet flipper switches 18
New flipper buttons 5
Lock down bar bracket disassembled, cleaned, sanded with Scotch brite and spray cleared
Lock down bar re-worked, buffed, and polished to mirror finish
All cabinet hardware removed, cleaned and painted with Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Black Gloss paint
Coin door disassembled, cleaned and repainted
New ball shooter rod
New shopout decals made and applied to lower and upper cabinet, with correct serial numbers for game, warning decals, fuse decal diagrams, backbox CPU diagnostic decals, and assembly decals.
Underside of cabinet sanded
Inside bottom of cabinet sanded to look original from factory (no more nicotine yellow and dirt)
inside main cabinet sides and back painted, new warning labels applied.
Back box cabinet repainted (warning screen masked to maintain integrity), upper cabinet rear sealed with 3 coats of Golden Brand artist water-based Polymer Gloss Varnish to achieve a uniform sheen across cabinet.
Lower cabinet rear repainted and new Williams Decals (serial number decals) added.
Back box ground plain panel, removed, cleaned and polished
All boards cleaned with scrubbing bubbles
NVRAM (battery eliminator ) added from Pinitech 25
New back cabinet skid glides
All screens cleaned and polished
New upper and lower cabinet ground braid installed
Lower and upper cabinet paint sanded to bare wood, cabinet repaired, corners air-pinned, and cabinet corners repaired with dolphin glaze automotive body filler. Cabinet prepared with 3 coats of Varathane gloss oil-based floor finish, cured for 1 week and sanded before installation of cabinet decals. lower and upper cabinet decals installed dry per McCune's method.
Insert panel cleaned, repainted with satin white rustoleum 2x painters touch and then clear sealed
Premium II Non-ghosting color matched LEDs (cointaker for PF inserts) and soft white frosted comets in GI. Insert panel, frosted LEDs. 80
New premium balls from PBL 6
Cabinet side rails scotch brite polished, buffed and waxed.

I am sure there is some stuff I left off the list. I did not include shipping or the cost of parts, connectors, wire, nylon wire ties, and board rebuild kits that I already had on hand. This totals about $2,500 dollars not including the $1,600 base cost of the game and of course no labor. I have no idea of the hours I put in on this game but it took me about 10 months plus one heart attack( seriously) working off and on to get it done. So the numbers Mr. Kelly is stating of $6,000 to $7,000 sound very reasonable to me for dirt cheap labor. The game turned out gorgeous, and plays beautifully. I may upgrade the sound system to add a subwoofer since it has the stock speaker in it now. Anyone that has taken a game like this and done a complete "clean" restore, not just a PF swap can probably attest to the amount of time and costs it takes to do it right. Would I do it again? definitely, but I will skip the heart attack this time! I have a nice BoP that I have a new PF from Peter in Germany that will be a perfect candidate for the same treatment. I have begun to assembly my parts box and probably will start the project this winter after the holidays. Some pictures of my Whirlwind.

IMG_0395.JPGIMG_0395.JPGIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0396.JPGIMG_0397.JPGIMG_0397.JPGIMG_0398.JPGIMG_0398.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0401.JPG

#31 8 years ago

My small workshop is starting to look like a pinball parts storage facility. . I have accumulated a lot of crap in the last few years for sure. Things like the rivet press is the $30 harbor freight arbor and the DIY kit from PinRestore. I retired from the Army a few years back so my time is cheap. I would starve to death if I had to do game restoration for income. I definitely leave that to the pros. I enjoy working on games as much as playing them so it all fun and keeps me active.

1 week later
#44 8 years ago

My re-import WW was pretty much worn down when I purchased it. It was a great candidate for restoration, so I felt like it would be worth my time to do it right. Instead of another beat WW, it is now a fully restored one that I am sure will outlive me and hopefully sustain the inventory of this game for a long time for others to enjoy. Sustaining these Old Williams games means alot to me because they are not making anymore of them and the supply of nice condition ones is getting smaller. Hopefully, there will still be folks willing to put the time and effort to do restoration work, which I fully appreciate is not everyone's inclination or cup of tea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 1,419.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-for-high-end-restore?tu=chet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.