Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Crile1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9E1AED4F-6875-4DA0-B286-ED3B7D85A388 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

No idea, but I think you are wrong about building one cheaper at this point in time.

Old i5 computer - $100
    GTX 1050/1060 graphics - $250
    Cabinet - $100 (old EM or trashed SS)
    2 HD TVs - $250 each for about 40 inchers - $500
    Ipac / buttons - $150

Total ~ $1,100

Not included is of course your time and learning curve. I've been finding VPX to be pretty straight forward for the most part. Have quite a few tables running.
    PinballX for front end is the next step.

I'd imagine the computer in question is on lockdown.

Good luck.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m going to guess that you haven’t built a virtual pin from scratch and have no idea the amount of effort that goes into building one of these machines. 2k for a virtual pin is a great price. This picture doesn’t look like an old thrashed EM cabinet. You didn’t include cabinet graphics, that’s another ~$200 or a sound system. If it’s a new cabinet then you’d need to include legs, lockdown bar, glass, backbox hinges, coindoor. I could go on.

You are correct, I have not built one yet. Merely stating it could probably be done for less.
    I was including the legs, lockdown bar, glass, etc as it would come with a cab.

I didn't mean to upset anyone, just offering opinions; apparently, mine smells.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I get bothered by the “how hard could it be?” Posts. Because these are pretty hard to get working well. If the PC can be updated then I wouldn’t worry too much about it being a little buggy. If your up to the challenge then this might have the possibility of being pretty great, depending on what the actual components are. Building the machine is 80% of the work. Software can a challenge depending on your computer skills.
    I have built one from scratch. Sold it a couple years ago though. Here’s my build thread.
    http://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2340-mortal-pinball-kombat-a-build-thread/

No, I get that. Many times people (myself included ) will expect miracles from barely basic skills and slap job tools. I think you make fair comments.

I took a look at your build from 5 years ago. That was pretty serious! I particularly like the rod face plate idea!

From my planning stage I've found that a standard cab will fit within 1/8 inch of a nice 40" tv running at $250. So looking back to you, you used a wide body, and tvs were a little more too. Not to mention that now the bezels can/mus stay on, so no decasing.

I by no means think building one is a walk in the park, but I think with VPX and tvs the job has become easier.

Of course I'm cool with a retro looking cabinet so I don't need decals, but I clearly see your point. Fit and finish levels vary from person to person.

Back to topic OP! Sorry for the derail.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Overall the software is crap. Definitely would just wipe the hard drive and start from scratch.
    That’s being said most everything is built. Unsure of the PC specs still it could need a couple hardware upgrades.
    I’m not entirely convinced a virtual machine is the way to spend my pinball money but it might be fun for awhile I guess

I started with just the computer and graphics card to try out the program. I liked it enough to hook up an old tv for the playfield and used my monitor as the backglass.

Then I bought 2 more real pins so I'm stalled.

If you start slow the worst that happens is you've upgraded your computer or have another computer. Better than spending 2k in my opinion.

I like the virtual to play around with, but it's not pinball.

You're on the right track though, have the store demonstrate the machine for you, while others are in the store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmos-virtual-machine?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.