PXL_20210323_191608329.jpg
PXL_20210323_004316274.jpg
PXL_20210323_002641884.jpg
PXL_20210323_002405924.jpg
PXL_20210323_002750961.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Facebook whitewood teaser Posted by wfumed2 (5 years ago)

Post #15 New game teaser Posted by suncoast (5 years ago)

Post #66 Gameplay preview video Posted by ChrisPINk25 (4 years ago)

Post #88 Another gameplay video Posted by suncoast (4 years ago)

Post #94 Arcade and Pinball Talk interview with Dirty Donny. Posted by suncoast (4 years ago)

Post #107 Mode overview video Posted by Compy (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago

There is not a lot going on with the layout. It is more spartan than a Stern pro, but more expensive. I do not see this turning out well.

1 year later
#205 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Is anyone honestly surprised? From all the footage on Youtube, it appears this game is not the least bit code-complete or fun at all. Everyone I talked to who played this in person said it was anywhere from "meh" to "completely awful." The geometry of the ramps and orbits are horrible and can't be fixed by code anyway. I guess having a new guy on the block is nice for competition, but this was kind of an amateur hour shitshow from the looks of it. What am I missing?

Well, I would be interested to know what the codebase looks like. I am tentatively getting one and as a software dev would be open to working on the game for free once I have my example.

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Games that are market priced are still not moving like 2-3 years ago. Look at the games that people post that are in the pinside range (what most consider underpriced) sell very quickly. Anything over the pinside average is sitting period. Everyone wants $1000-$1500 over pinside averages and that is what is foolish. NIB sellers are taking massive hits and many are not selling at all without being considerably dropped to UNDER MARKET to sell. Lots of this also depends on what part of the country you are in as well.

Untrue, the games 4k+ seem to be sitting. Problem is there are so many nib options that many people are trying to sell to buy nib games. Buyers are considering nib as well as used at that price range. Market is just oversaturated and with jjp and stern continually upping the price it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

not necessarily, JM, maverick, (bang for buck games), etc... are still sitting for a while. I know because that is all I am buying now. I got out of that NIB trap years ago, because I saw this coming. It is all games in all price ranges. There is a ton of location play now and I think that is causing some issues as well. Why have $100k in games in the basement when you can have a couple monthly outings with some buds at the local game spot. One thing we have all agreed on is the market is saturated and that looks to be the theme for a while.

Interesting, but sub 4k I have not had one issue. The higher end stuff is another matter. As for monthly outings? Its cheaper sure, but its not why I collect. Also not the case for my friends either.

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

not ideal for most of us and I do miss my high end games, but I did see the writing on the wall a couple years ago. I have friends who don't care, because they have enough money to just put the games in storage if they don't sell. I am just not at a place with 4 kids, 3 college age and younger in private school to take huge loses in a hobby.

Then I would suggest you walk away? This stopped being a cheap hobby a decade ago. For me the amount of money on paper that my collection is worth would buy a very nice sports car. The amount I have in it would not buy a cheap toyota.

On topic though I am surprised suncoast has gone silent in this thread. You would think there would be some amount of damage control going on.

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Doesn't anybody know how to plan to cash flow anymore? Does any new business now have a B or C contingency plan for investment funding support cash infusion means if the damn landlord comes looking for rent? Seems ridiculous.

I am wondering if sales have been slower than expected. For awhile just about anyone who announced a new machine would have pre-orders lined up. Now there are too many games and not enough new blood pumping money in. This game did not get the fanfare from day one which is kinda odd. It is an original theme which people keep clamoring for, but there just never seemed to be much buzz.

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People don't want original themes, they just say they do.

I do, though I am not a nib buyer. That said I am serious about wanting to continue developing the software on this game once I get ahold of the one I am trading for. Problem is suncoast hasn't been on in days.

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The take-away from this would be to concentrate on making the game actually FUN, look GREAT and sound GOOD. Take your time on this part. I think if Suncoast had made the game FUN they'd be fine.
Pinball is hard.

Ii think something you are missing is that code is a massive part of a game. I think given a code update this one code be improved dramatically and not knocking the developer for this. Just not given enough time to bake. A lot of games that were dogged were later saved by code updates. It will not save a terrible layout, but it can vastly improve a so so one.

#272 4 years ago

Does anyone have the link for the update and is it still active? I am to be grabbing a machine soon and worried it will be on old code.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Add that number to the dozen listing distributors at the bottom of this page holding stock. I am fairly certain they hit 75 if not a few more. Just because the market doesn't have them doesn't mean Suncoast did not sell them or so the distributor shelves would say otherwise.

Dunno at least two distributors sold their demo as soon as suncoast declared bankruptcy. Not saying there are only 8 but 80 seems high. Also why are their unfilled preorders if they knocked out 80 machines?

#295 4 years ago

Got my machine yesterday. This is the one that was at the southern fried gaming episode. Wireform is broken and will need to be welded. Game was on .91 software. I pulled the sd card and put in a new one in flashing it with the .99 software that is on the cosmic carniva shared drive. Then updated that to 1.04. Thing is, when I enter the service mode, it still says .91 prototyotype for the version? wth

#298 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I wont pretend to know anything about this game like if the code has to be incrementally updated or not , but did you confirm that the .99 actually took? Is there a factory reset? If so do it and then try flashing again.

.99 had to take. I pulled the original micro sd card from the raspberry pi and set it aside. I took a brand new one, burned the .99 img to it and insterted it. Fired up the game, went into the menu and the service menu says .91 prototype for the version. Odd, but if you turn it on without the sd card the game doesn't boot so the update had to take.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Maybe wherever you got the file for .99 was labeled wrong but it actually .91 ?

Saying suncoast posted the wrong file? Doubtful.

That said the game does show differences so def not the same version.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I spoke to Suncoast Arcade and they said they built a total of 25 Cosmic Carnival pinball machines. I would guess the machine numbered #40 was a special serial number request? Sounds like they had 80 orders but only got as far as 25 built.

Can confirm they did not necessarily build in order. Pinsider here has one in the 60's by request.

#309 4 years ago

Dont see it fitting. Cabs are unique.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

So chances of seeing one at Expo are pretty slim??

Unless someone is feeling generous or a vendor is trying to drum up interest to sell. I for one don't take my games to shows. Too much risk and seeing how mine has 3 broken welds from the wireform after only being played at southern fried gaming expo I def would not put this one out.

#318 4 years ago

I'd like a floor banner, but don't see the 250 sadly. Neat, but not that neat.

1 month later
#326 4 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I see. That’s good to know. I was just curious if that was a certain number or if more of a guess. I noticed that yours is marked 25 of 25. If one above is 63 and the one I’m getting is 40 I wonder which ones they skipped in that run to 25 then.

Some aren't narked. Mine is one of the first five and has no plaque.

1 year later
#350 3 years ago

Ill admit i am sad i sold mine. I am a software dev and was tempted to modify the code. Had been thibking up how to add spinners to the loops and some sort of target in front of the scoop without permanently modifying the game.

#353 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

My idea was to do a simple modification of removing the ramp entrances and replacing them with ones with up/down flaps (a la whirlwind or pinbot) on both sides. That way you could still have a free flowing orbit shot. I was also going to use coil driven gates to cut off the loop to get the ball into the pops. I felt that that would've opened up things quite a bit.
The center scoop shot is still a bitch to design around.

My thought was to mount a spinning target from above. Rotate it down to block the shot when desired.

If i ever get one again i will have to look into it. Game had potential and the hardware is easy to code for. Far easier than when i looked into updating Pistol poker and mystery castle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmic-carnival-by-suncoast-pinball-and-arcade?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.