PXL_20210323_191608329.jpg
PXL_20210323_004316274.jpg
PXL_20210323_002641884.jpg
PXL_20210323_002405924.jpg
PXL_20210323_002750961.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Facebook whitewood teaser Posted by wfumed2 (5 years ago)

Post #15 New game teaser Posted by suncoast (5 years ago)

Post #66 Gameplay preview video Posted by ChrisPINk25 (4 years ago)

Post #88 Another gameplay video Posted by suncoast (4 years ago)

Post #94 Arcade and Pinball Talk interview with Dirty Donny. Posted by suncoast (4 years ago)

Post #107 Mode overview video Posted by Compy (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It shoots better than the whitewood review led me to believe, in that the pop pen seems healthy and well-balanced...
1. The pop pen has fantastic balance, and that was my mistake.
-A. it scores the rollovers well -- reminds me of Barracora pops
-B. they are dangerous (I saw a few drains or near-drains)
-C. they don't hold up the ball long at all (no stopngo)
-D. they randomize ball movement
2. The inner orbit shot looks GREAT in both directions (while I honestly wish it had two hanging spinners instead of the hanging switches -- I realize spinners can slow or dink-donk the ball travel on exit at times, but... it would be neat to know...)
3. Pleased that the scoop is quick. The faster it can release the ball the better.
((I won't comment on the LCD integration and the rule set, since that's not my concern or expertise.))
I like being wrong and surprised, when I aim too low on an initial review, especially with pinball!
-mof

Hey there!

I'm one of the programmers on the game. I was brought in after TPF this year when the playfield artwork and layout were finalized. What you're seeing is about two weeks worth of code on the game and there's a lot more for us to do. We're averaging about 2-3 modes per week with the regular slew of bug fixes and things that arise. With that said, you'll see a lot more work go into the display in terms of thematic integration and dynamic content. I'm of the kind that believes that the display is there to augment the playing experience and offer a bit more immersiveness, but it's secondary. With that being said, you probably won't see a video mode in this one.

Here's basically the design flow we work with on a game (Very similar to how we've done work on TNA, ACNC, Pinball Circus and Kingpin):
1. We have a rule sheet with some loose ideas that come from the game designer (some are more thoroughly fleshed out than others)
2. We implement the basic shot mechanics, light shows and callouts that belong to that rulesheet.
3. We evaluate what works, what doesn't (and what absolutely sucks) and we rework as needed.
4. Once things look good, we get artists, animators and sound designers involved to put the icing on top.
5. Outside of this, the software team has a lot of input into game rules on most of these projects as well.

Good catch on the pops. After we bumped up the flipper strength a bit, the ball is really flying and the pops are a quick way for a drain out the outlane. We're thinking of adding in a super pops award to make things a bit more risky.

The scoop is definitely a risky shot because of all of the rubber that surrounds it. I have the scoop power set pretty high, and the return shot DOES catch the tip of the left flipper. (We also spot you a ball save because we're nice, or something...)

More to come!
-- Jimmy

#79 4 years ago

Hey hey pinheads!

So a few people have asked how I got in touch with Suncoast and how the whole shindig started, and a few have asked about certain features of the game and how we do music tracks in pinball. So in a fairly odd neopolitan feature, I've created a video outlining such things!

First Section: Background on what I do, and how I got involved with Suncoast Pinball (and Cosmic Carnival)
Second Section: Game features and theme
Third Section: How we tackle music with pinball games in general, and some of the things we're asked to do as the theme evolves, and the things we think about!

Nothing beats talking shop with fellow pinheads, so feel free to forward any questions, and hopefully this answers the questions I've gotten thus far!

-- Jimmy

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Some of the wireform bends look a little rough...I am guessing these are just preproduction mockups? The plastic ramp looks like the form used was rough, then they overheated the plastic when they did the pull...making for a not-so-clear ramp.

Good eye on both counts. The wireforms are indeed just quick prototypes that were mocked up as we're still trying everything out (from the design even to the material used to make the forms).

The haze on the plastic ramps is normal for prototypes. All tools leave a haze (though it varies depending on the tool material for the mold). If I hit these ramps with a torch, they'd probably clean up nicely. I'll do that and probably take a video, always cool to watch!

-- Jimmy

3 weeks later
#107 4 years ago

Hey guys,

So a few people asked me to put together a bit of a demo video of all the modes in the game rather than just a general gameplay video. So this video breaks down half of the modes that are currently in the game. I explain what activates the mode and how to complete it. Most of the modes are stackable except for ones that share the same completion shots. In fact, I've had 3-4 modes going at one time before so it can really change up the playing strategies for various players.

The base story is that you're trying to gain control of the Cosmic Carnival, the greatest carnival in the entire universe. In order to do that, you have to defeat modes presented to you by both the Ringleader and the Cosmic Clown. Your guide is Draleana, and she'll tell you throughout the game what to shoot and when. This game is rough, tough and FAST. We've got the flipper power dialed in, so you can easily chain ramp shots and different combos together.

(WARNING, bad pinball playing and some pre-release game code. Bowen rocks at this sort of thing, I just shift 1's and 0's around)

Modes demonstrated in this video:
Modes:

1. Draleana - Shoot the right 3 drop targets 3 times to start mode. Hit drop targets until you spell DRALEANA. Completion awards 1M points.
2. Comet Chaser - Shoot the left orbit 3 times to start Comet Chaser. From there, hit the skillshot by knocking down the lower drop targets and shooting the ball into the shooter lane, then shoot the lit orbits to complete the mode.
3. Dunk Tank - Complete all 3 dunk tank targets on the left to start Dunk Tank mode. From there, you have a set time to complete a left to right orbit, and a right to left orbit in sequence. Completion lights Ringleader Multiball at the scoop.
4. Ringleader Multiball - 3 ball multiball with 30 second ball save. Jackpots are available at the ramps, scoop re-lites jackpots.
5. Mystic Martians Award - A shot to the scoop when no other scoop modes are running awards a random martian award.
6. Ringleader Mode - 3 consecutive shots to the ringleader ramp start this mode. To complete, shoot each ramp 3 times in succession. Completion awards 1M points.
7. Cosmic Clown Mode - 3 consecutive shots to the cosmic clown (right) ramp start this mode. To complete this mode, you must clear all 10 shots to the standup and drop targets.
8. Security Force - Completing the lower inlane/outlane lamps twice starts this mode. When this mode starts, you must complete the 4 green lit shots. Careful though as these shots change every few seconds.
9. Skillshot - Plunge the ball and you have 10 seconds to hit the lower drop targets. Shoot the ball back into the shooter lane to get a skillshot award. Awards increase the more you make the skillshot.

Each mode completion advances the Ringleader or the Cosmic Clown tally by one. You must get both tallies to 5 in order to win control of the Cosmic Carnival. Half the modes belong to the Cosmic Clown, half the modes belong to the Ringleader.

1 year later
#349 3 years ago
Quoted from Loganpinball:

I am trying to sell or trade my machine now. It seems theres also a small market for a cliffy for vuk hole. I have got a few pms asking me if I would sell one. I made one for mine as it chipped the paint on the first play.

Yeah, that VUK was really... ill placed and engineered. Curious, was your unit actually painted or was the playfield a decal overlay? (Certain ones were overlays while others were Mirco runs)

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Ill admit i am sad i sold mine. I am a software dev and was tempted to modify the code. Had been thibking up how to add spinners to the loops and some sort of target in front of the scoop without permanently modifying the game.

My idea was to do a simple modification of removing the ramp entrances and replacing them with ones with up/down flaps (a la whirlwind or pinbot) on both sides. That way you could still have a free flowing orbit shot. I was also going to use coil driven gates to cut off the loop to get the ball into the pops. I felt that that would've opened up things quite a bit.

The center scoop shot is still a bitch to design around.

2 months later
#357 3 years ago

Take a picture of the main board (its a raspberry pi usually located just below the P3-ROC with the blue LEDs.) It's about the size of a credit card. See if it has any lights. You should at least be getting something on the display if it has power. If not, we could probably start there and make sure the micro USB cable that goes into it is snug and providing power.

If its a corrupt software issue or something of that nature, let me know and I can send you an image/SD card.

This game was an absolute nightmare to work on the "design" team with, but I'll do anything in my power to make sure you've got something to flip.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Thanks a lot Compy! I really appreciate it!
The Pi seems to be getting power. The PWR light is lit, but ACT next to it does not do anything. Seems from a quick search it should be flashing green if it was sensing activity?
[quoted image]
In this photo I am showing where it ties into power with a pointer (lower left), a micro USB on the Pi end its wires into a molex on the other end, but I'm sure you know this already.
[quoted image]
Here's a wider view of the backboard with the game powered on.
[quoted image]
I have/can take other photos as well. Tricky to get a 100% view of everything with the center bar in the way.
I've swapped the USBs in the Pi to the other ports and also tried other cables I have lying around and it didn't make a difference. The only A male to B male USB (which is the white cable that goes from Pi to P3-ROC) I could find right now has ferrite chokes on both ends. I'm not sure that matters though? I know I have a ton of those cables around somewhere from old (very old!) portable hard drives, so I can keep looking or just buy a new one. That cable does wiggle quite a bit in the P3-ROC side. Wiggling it around and holding it down doesn't produce anything on the screen, however.
I can't get the HDMI out of the Pi without taking off the board or potentially forcing it out, but I don't assume that matters anyway. The game code would presumably still load even if the Pi wasn't sending data to the screen.
As for previous suggestions, I can not find a battery or reset button anywhere.

Thanks for sending that info!

Ok, so let's do some troubleshooting. Let's assume that the P3-ROC and associated cables are good and focus on the Raspberry Pi. If you've got the RED LED, you've got power, so check. However, green is the SD card access LED, and you're not really getting anything there. Reach around carefully behind the board and pull the MicroSD card out (down) and reseat/reinsert it.

If that doesn't work, I can mail you a new microSD card with code on it, or I can send you an image to flash if you've got the necessary adapters/software to do it. Your choice.

#363 3 years ago

DM me your address. I'll drop a new SD card in the mail today. That should fix you up directly.

#364 3 years ago

Alright, I tested the SD card on my test fixture here and it booted into attract. Dropped it in the mail for you. Should be there in a few days.

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

For future readers, is there a specific requirement for the card? SDHC, SDXC... and/or speed class? If there are requirements, are those due to the pi itself so future readers can research that or due to the implementation in Cosmic Carnival ?
Thanks for helping VALIS666 out Compy it’s much appreciated.
Do you simply use Clonezilla to make the new card? Is there an image available? I see IPDB has no entry.

1. Generally just try to make it a Class 10 uSD card. Space requirements are fairly minimal. We used to run the images for 8gb SD cards.

I'll get something submitted to IPDB. For future reference, the final version that was released was 1.0.5 with coinage (released on 9/17/2019) and is at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VKFZPB9d1o5DQbMrVsL_fNmbqFE_fRSF/view?usp=sharing - This is what was being worked on at the point the company was shut down. This will expand to a full image that can be applied with Etcher or Rufus. You must extract the zip and image the file within it to the micro SD card. Just make sure whatever tool you use doesn't try to do any "convenient" bootloader things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For historical context, here's a very brief timeline of events:
1. I was introduced to them at Free Play Florida in November 2018 while I was there supporting the software on the Kingpin game. They told me they were working on their own control system and it was going well. (The games they brought had caught on fire, neither were playable). This was also pre-Donny art.

2. I get another call in December saying they may need additional help as they're behind schedule. I send them an estimate and a rate quote. I'm put into touch with their software guy who is also doing their hardware design. Still insists that they're doing fine and no help is needed.

3. I get another call in March (the week before TPF) saying that they're definitely needing help. This time, judging by the timeline and proximity to TPF, they're in a heap of trouble. However they paid Donny a stack of cash to do the playfield/cabinet artwork. So at least the game looks great. I tell them that we'll talk after TPF as I've got commitments to companies unveiling games already at that TPF.

4. TPF comes, the games pretty much blink in attract and do a few things as the player bats the ball around. No optos work on the game, and a half-assed attempt at using a hobby "op amp module" and some botched solder jobs bring one of their two games down the entire show. Still, software guy insists the system is on track. At one point, a mosfet had gotten so hot due to lack of watchdog circuitry (and shit code) that it literally melted/desoldered itself from the board. They were also using SMD FETs.

5. TPF goes, I get a call the following Monday that they've fired their software engineer. I tell them to stop wasting their time trying to put together their own system and use an off the shelf product because they'll run out of money beforehand.

6. Right around MGC, I get a call that they're going to switch to the Multimorphic P3-ROC system and they're shipping me a game. After some back and forth redlining, they sign a contract. At first, they wanted me to move to Largo, FL. I politely declined.

7. Game arrives in May to be completely stripped/rewired. That particular unit is completely swapped over in 4 days (a long weekend). I then send them wiring diagrams for the new system and how we have things wired.

8. I'm given the compute budget of about $50, which means Raspberry Pi 3. Therefore all the python bits are swapped to C++ to run HD video on minimal compute power. At the same time, a majority of the game budget is spent on artwork and the music budget from Hans Zimmer's musicians. I told him they may have been able to get talent that has pinball experience for far less. I also recorded several guitar tracks to cut down on budget. We also couldn't use direct controlled LEDs, and their "EE" insisted that serial RGBs would work, despite previous industry uses being an absolute nightmare.

9. A while later, the first version of the game code is released and sent to them. Most of the rules were pre-determined and sent to me to program in. Most of them were pretty linear "shoot this target X times and then this ramp X times" type rules, which get pretty monotonous.

10. When asked for video content for certain events like extra balls, target completions, jackpots, etc. I'm told that they only want to use video content during certain modes. All other times the screen should be focused on the score. In total, I'm given about 5 videos. There are over 10 modes. Most other games we work on, we have over 30 videos for various things.

11. One day I'm told that they're hiring a junior programmer to do more mode implementations. By junior, it's a fresh college grad with no programming experience outside of java coursework, so it's up to me to teach him "pinball stuff" as well as programming for speed/optimization. The on-site staff have zero pinball experience. The owner actually insisted that stern's games shipped without plumb bobs on the tilt. He had a new Star Wars that he was mocking the cabinet design on, and he never bothered to open the coin box to see that they did, in fact, have plumb bobs for the tilt mech.

12. Another day goes by, and I get a call that the first games they've assembled have weak flippers. After requesting their EE send me schematics, it is apparent that thermistors and other resistance hardware on their power supply board were placed on the outbound rail that fed the flippers. They would clamp down on spikes above a couple amps. Well, flipper power easily blows that out. They also weren't placing filter/charge caps on their PSU board. They decided to design their own board to try to cut down on costs... This was in addition to them initially using 22AWG for coils.

13. A couple weeks later, I'm requested to fly out to Florida because they're live streaming the game and "launching". While I'm there, like always, they're gracious hosts, but surrounded by chaos. Before the livestream, one of their games has failing optos (upper ramp). Turns out that was because their "EE", in the interests of giving the game more "pizazz" before the stream wired a bunch of UV LEDs in series with the optos. Not like he couldn't have noticed, they were literally soldered onto the opto PCB. Again, on this trip, I'm requested to move to Largo, FL.

14. A week later, I'm informed that the company is running out of cash and has to lay a bunch of people off. Sadly, 6-7 weeks into his tenure, the junior programmer was one of the ones that left that day. Dude loved the environment though, working on games.

15. After a failed attempt to reorganize the company's finances, the pinball division files for bankruptcy protection. A few handfuls of games produced.

There are a TON of stories I could share. I'm not sure whether or not I should be sad, mad or whatever. Being a hired gun in this industry is a massive pain in the ass. In the end, I probably got 15% of my total contract's value from them (and a wicked t-shirt and a prototype game that sits on a pallet in my garage). Thankfully pinball isn't what pays the bills. I intentionally leave this game off of my resume for a reason.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmic-carnival-by-suncoast-pinball-and-arcade?tu=Compy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.