PXL_20210323_190414266.jpg
PXL_20210323_191216003.jpg
PXL_20210323_191608329.jpg
PXL_20210323_004316274.jpg
PXL_20210323_002641884.jpg
PXL_20210323_002405924.jpg
PXL_20210323_002750961.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from suncoast:

Here is a sneak peek

When will these start shipping?

#52 4 years ago

There is a scoop between the posts, it is part of several of the modes including the multiballs. We hope to start shipping by the beginning of June.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from suncoast:

There is a scoop between the posts, it is part of several of the modes including the multiballs. We hope to start shipping by the beginning of June.

Great looking pin! Any chance a proto will make it to Pinfest?

#54 4 years ago

Can you give us a number that the line is at?

#55 4 years ago

On the production version, will both the left and right ramps be made of the same material to maintain a consistent look?

#56 4 years ago

Is there a spinner?

Great looking pin dudes!
Respect
Hope you hit a home run!

#57 4 years ago

Right now we have several prototypes and the line has started production but we are not sharing any numbers yet. The left ramp is petg to wire form and the right is petg. It will the same for production.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from suncoast:

There is a scoop between the posts

Thanks - so after it captures the ball, where does it send the ball?
mof

#59 4 years ago

Our first ringleader is painted and being shipped to us. We asked Donny to paint the first ones so our staff can copy them. They will all be hand painted. As always Donny did a great job!

IMG_02741 (resized).jpgIMG_02741 (resized).jpgIMG_02751 (resized).jpgIMG_02751 (resized).jpgIMG_02761 (resized).jpgIMG_02761 (resized).jpg
#60 4 years ago

Ringleader looks fantastic! Regarding the material selection for the ramps...is there a reason that the left ramp had to be changed to wireform? Since both ramps return the ball to the inlanes something just seems off to me from an aesthetic point of view. My suggestion would be to keep it consistent...just my two cents!

#61 4 years ago

I like the wire form change. You can see more of the playfield.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

I like the wire form change. You can see more of the playfield.

Agree. Just odd they only changed one side.

#63 4 years ago

@djreddog...agreed...that was basically my point. Pick one style...either both petg or both wireform...doesn’t really matter to me I guess as long as they are the same on both sides.

#64 4 years ago

obfuscate less than clear plastic imo... deserves a poll to confirm -- the KEY location being the top of the sling where you are trying to judge the nudge -- and my cyclone ramps use to obfuscate that -- Taxi does not.

-mof

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

obfuscate less than clear plastic imo... deserves a poll to confirm -- the KEY location being the top of the sling where you are trying to judge the nudge -- and my cyclone ramps use to obfuscate that -- Taxi does not.
-mof

Ok, had to look up "Obfuscate" as I had no clue what you were saying. lol "We are but humble pirates"

#66 4 years ago

Game play preview!!

#67 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the preview!

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Game play preview!!

It shoots better than the whitewood review led me to believe, in that the pop pen seems healthy and well-balanced...

1. The pop pen has fantastic balance, and that was my mistake.
-A. it scores the rollovers well -- reminds me of Barracora pops
-B. they are dangerous (I saw a few drains or near-drains)
-C. they don't hold up the ball long at all (no stopngo)
-D. they randomize ball movement

2. The inner orbit shot looks GREAT in both directions (while I honestly wish it had two hanging spinners instead of the hanging switches -- I realize spinners can slow or dink-donk the ball travel on exit at times, but... it would be neat to know...)

3. Pleased that the scoop is quick. The faster it can release the ball the better.

((I won't comment on the LCD integration and the rule set, since that's not my concern or expertise.))

I like being wrong and surprised, when I aim too low on an initial review, especially with pinball!
-mof

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It shoots better than the whitewood review led me to believe, in that the pop pen seems healthy and well-balanced...
1. The pop pen has fantastic balance, and that was my mistake.
-A. it scores the rollovers well -- reminds me of Barracora pops
-B. they are dangerous (I saw a few drains or near-drains)
-C. they don't hold up the ball long at all (no stopngo)
-D. they randomize ball movement
2. The inner orbit shot looks GREAT in both directions (while I honestly wish it had two hanging spinners instead of the hanging switches -- I realize spinners can slow or dink-donk the ball travel on exit at times, but... it would be neat to know...)
3. Pleased that the scoop is quick. The faster it can release the ball the better.
((I won't comment on the LCD integration and the rule set, since that's not my concern or expertise.))
I like being wrong and surprised, when I aim too low on an initial review, especially with pinball!
-mof

Hey there!

I'm one of the programmers on the game. I was brought in after TPF this year when the playfield artwork and layout were finalized. What you're seeing is about two weeks worth of code on the game and there's a lot more for us to do. We're averaging about 2-3 modes per week with the regular slew of bug fixes and things that arise. With that said, you'll see a lot more work go into the display in terms of thematic integration and dynamic content. I'm of the kind that believes that the display is there to augment the playing experience and offer a bit more immersiveness, but it's secondary. With that being said, you probably won't see a video mode in this one.

Here's basically the design flow we work with on a game (Very similar to how we've done work on TNA, ACNC, Pinball Circus and Kingpin):
1. We have a rule sheet with some loose ideas that come from the game designer (some are more thoroughly fleshed out than others)
2. We implement the basic shot mechanics, light shows and callouts that belong to that rulesheet.
3. We evaluate what works, what doesn't (and what absolutely sucks) and we rework as needed.
4. Once things look good, we get artists, animators and sound designers involved to put the icing on top.
5. Outside of this, the software team has a lot of input into game rules on most of these projects as well.

Good catch on the pops. After we bumped up the flipper strength a bit, the ball is really flying and the pops are a quick way for a drain out the outlane. We're thinking of adding in a super pops award to make things a bit more risky.

The scoop is definitely a risky shot because of all of the rubber that surrounds it. I have the scoop power set pretty high, and the return shot DOES catch the tip of the left flipper. (We also spot you a ball save because we're nice, or something...)

More to come!
-- Jimmy

#71 4 years ago

Wow great feedback and plan of attack. Look forward to seeing this come together.

#72 4 years ago

After reading the TWIP interview with Jon Weaver of SunCoast Pinball I just wanted to revisit the ramps one final time. I spent a lot of time looking at the playfield picture for Cosmic Carnival. Although I do like the smoothness that a PETG ramp gives you, I do agree the left side with the wireform does look better. The PETG ramp does “muddy” the artwork beneath it. The left side with the wireform looks clear and sharp. For example, a good eye test although not artwork related, is to compare the left pop bumper with the right. The left pop looks clear and sharp the right does not. The same can be said for the playfield artwork. In the interview Jon said that the changes to the ramps were made as to not obstruct the view of the artwork. This begs the questions, why only make the artwork look cleaner and more visible on the left side only? Is the artwork on the right side not as important? What did the artwork on the right side ever do to deserve this fate??? (joke ) My final thoughts are the right side ramp honestly looks bad and out of place when comparing to the left side and also makes the “muddied” artwork a significant eyesore when the left side just looks so good and crisp. It’s just simply unbalanced. My suggestion is to do whatever it takes to make the right ramp wireform like the left side. Just offering my constructive criticism one last time on the ramps and truly not just trying to beat a dead horse. The rest of Cosmic Carnival looks fantastic...very impressive...looking forward to playing it especially after seeing the gameplay preview!

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I'm one of the programmers

1. I did not see a shot through the pops to the plunger and back up top (biggest whitewood design gripe -- the an ability to re-shoot the upper PF (rollovers in this case)

Is there going to be any sort of rule that encourages completing the drops, re shooting the drops, and then plunging to rollovers within X seconds? (Or perhaps just a rollover completion timer like in Cyclone, where shooting to pops would be the least likely way to complete it)

2. I assumed this was a single-ball like Cyclone. I did see a screen with the word "multiball" on it. If there are no ball locks, how are balls going to be introduced onto the playfield?

thanks,
mof

#74 4 years ago

You don't need locks to get multiball. Lots of games release multiple balls when modes start. This could be similar. We'll see how the modes are implemented.

Quoted from mof:

1. I did not see a shot through the pops to the plunger and back up top (biggest whitewood design gripe -- the an ability to re-shoot the upper PF (rollovers in this case)
Is there going to be any sort of rule that encourages completing the drops, re shooting the drops, and then plunging to rollovers within X seconds? (Or perhaps just a rollover completion timer like in Cyclone, where shooting to pops would be the least likely way to complete it)
2. I assumed this was a single-ball like Cyclone. I did see a screen with the word "multiball" on it. If there are no ball locks, how are balls going to be introduced onto the playfield?
thanks,
mof

#76 4 years ago

Will you have a machine at the Golden State Pinball Festival to show with Donny?

#77 4 years ago

Unfortunately we will not be at Golden State.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from suncoast:

Unfortunately we will not be at Golden State.

How about NWPAS a couple of weeks later?

#79 4 years ago

Hey hey pinheads!

So a few people have asked how I got in touch with Suncoast and how the whole shindig started, and a few have asked about certain features of the game and how we do music tracks in pinball. So in a fairly odd neopolitan feature, I've created a video outlining such things!

First Section: Background on what I do, and how I got involved with Suncoast Pinball (and Cosmic Carnival)
Second Section: Game features and theme
Third Section: How we tackle music with pinball games in general, and some of the things we're asked to do as the theme evolves, and the things we think about!

Nothing beats talking shop with fellow pinheads, so feel free to forward any questions, and hopefully this answers the questions I've gotten thus far!

-- Jimmy

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

After reading the TWIP interview with Jon Weaver of SunCoast Pinball I just wanted to revisit the ramps one final time. I spent a lot of time looking at the playfield picture for Cosmic Carnival. Although I do like the smoothness that a PETG ramp gives you, I do agree the left side with the wireform does look better. The PETG ramp does “muddy” the artwork beneath it. The left side with the wireform looks clear and sharp. For example, a good eye test although not artwork related, is to compare the left pop bumper with the right. The left pop looks clear and sharp the right does not. The same can be said for the playfield artwork. In the interview Jon said that the changes to the ramps were made as to not obstruct the view of the artwork. This begs the questions, why only make the artwork look cleaner and more visible on the left side only? Is the artwork on the right side not as important? What did the artwork on the right side ever do to deserve this fate??? (joke ) My final thoughts are the right side ramp honestly looks bad and out of place when comparing to the left side and also makes the “muddied” artwork a significant eyesore when the left side just looks so good and crisp. It’s just simply unbalanced. My suggestion is to do whatever it takes to make the right ramp wireform like the left side. Just offering my constructive criticism one last time on the ramps and truly not just trying to beat a dead horse. The rest of Cosmic Carnival looks fantastic...very impressive...looking forward to playing it especially after seeing the gameplay preview!

Ditto^^

I don't mind PETG being used, if it's in the back part of the pin. I do prefer the use of wireform in areas closer to the player. No sense in making what appears to some really nice artwork then blurring it with plastic.

Other than that - impressive start so far.

#81 4 years ago

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. Something feels off with the different ramps. Yes, the artwork is more clear with wire form. If you are gonna do one wire form, I think you’re committed to do the other. Do you do factory tours? Will be down in the area in August and would love to stop by...and maybe buy?

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hey hey pinheads!
So a few people have asked how I got in touch with Suncoast and how the whole shindig started, and a few have asked about certain features of the game and how we do music tracks in pinball. So in a fairly odd neopolitan feature, I've created a video outlining such things!
First Section: Background on what I do, and how I got involved with Suncoast Pinball (and Cosmic Carnival)
Second Section: Game features and theme
Third Section: How we tackle music with pinball games in general, and some of the things we're asked to do as the theme evolves, and the things we think about!

Nothing beats talking shop with fellow pinheads, so feel free to forward any questions, and hopefully this answers the questions I've gotten thus far!
-- Jimmy

Ok now that inside look is just plain bad ass! To see how the pieces are made at the core is incredible to see. They clearly brought the right team on board to pull this off. Very impressive and hope more inside behind the scenes vids are coming. Thanks!!

#83 4 years ago

Very insightful look at this games creation. Thanks for sharing Jimmy! CAn't wait to see more.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I’ll throw in my 2 cents. Something feels off with the different ramps. Yes, the artwork is more clear with wire form. If you are gonna do one wire form, I think you’re committed to do the other. Do you do factory tours? Will be down in the area in August and would love to stop by...and maybe buy?

Some of the wireform bends look a little rough...I am guessing these are just preproduction mockups? The plastic ramp looks like the form used was rough, then they overheated the plastic when they did the pull...making for a not-so-clear ramp.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Some of the wireform bends look a little rough...I am guessing these are just preproduction mockups? The plastic ramp looks like the form used was rough, then they overheated the plastic when they did the pull...making for a not-so-clear ramp.

Good eye on both counts. The wireforms are indeed just quick prototypes that were mocked up as we're still trying everything out (from the design even to the material used to make the forms).

The haze on the plastic ramps is normal for prototypes. All tools leave a haze (though it varies depending on the tool material for the mold). If I hit these ramps with a torch, they'd probably clean up nicely. I'll do that and probably take a video, always cool to watch!

-- Jimmy

#86 4 years ago

Jimmy - Can anyone confirm or deny that the game will ship will identical wireform ramps or not?

#87 4 years ago

We are still tweaking the manufacturing process of the ramps but that is the style and position that they will both be. Once we have them ready for production models the wireform ramps will look sharper, cleaner and be electro polished.

#88 4 years ago

Check out our newest gameplay video. We will be posting new videos 1-2 times a week as we are adding new game code almost daily.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from suncoast:

Check out our newest gameplay video. We will be posting new videos 1-2 times a week as we are adding new game code almost daily.

Looking good. Can’t wait to see the animation integration.

#90 4 years ago

Looks like the modes were turned off for the latest video? Or, just couldn't get to modes (That would be me with my skills)?

#91 4 years ago

The modes are working ..... I believe we have 5 modes coded in this video and 3 of them were activated in both videos. The animations are getting moved to the completion of a mode. We had used them as placeholders until we got more modes coded. Over the next couple weeks you will see more code, animations in the correct place and more graphics.

#92 4 years ago

What about the music? Will there be further additions or other vibe options?

#93 4 years ago

We have several original tracks of music but they all have the same feel. Since Donny's artwork is a bit edgy we wanted the music to reflect that. We are very lucky to be able to work with a great group of very talented people on the Cosmic Carnival project. The music, sfx and voices were done in collaboration with 3 individuals. Theo Green, Czarina Russell and Bart Hendrickson. Please Google all of them for more info. They have all worked on many big projects and blockbuster movies. Theo Green was nominated for an academy award for his work on Bladerunner 2049.

#94 4 years ago

Check out an interview Arcade and Pinball Talk did with Dirty Donny.

#95 4 years ago

Production update: Our first 10 cabinets are either finished or close to finished. We have all parts for the first 5 machines in house and parts for the next 5 are in house or ordered. Also we are engraving and cutting the first numbered plates for the first 250 machines. And most exciting, out first production playfield is making it's way down the line!

20190522_160922 (resized).jpg20190522_160922 (resized).jpg20190524_131052 (resized).jpg20190524_131052 (resized).jpg20190524_135844 (resized).jpg20190524_135844 (resized).jpg20190524_155213 (resized).jpg20190524_155213 (resized).jpg
#96 4 years ago

Awesome news! Number 001 checking in and waiting for the request for final payment! Great work and as promised!

#97 4 years ago

Who wants to bet that all 250 engraved plates don't make it on produced machines? This layout is atrocious and is worthy only as a boutique game. Welcome to the poor man's Magic Girl. . .

#98 4 years ago

Any chance one of these ends up at NWPAS next week?

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Porkfritter:

Who wants to bet that all 250 engraved plates don't make it on produced machines? This layout is atrocious and is worthy only as a boutique game. Welcome to the poor man's Magic Girl. . .

31st post in 7 years, and that’s what you have to say? At least it will likely be a while before you post again...

#100 4 years ago

The music was composed by critically acclaimed composer Bart Hendrickson. Here is a list of his credits on his IMDB page. https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0376769/

There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmic-carnival-by-suncoast-pinball-and-arcade/page/2?hl=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.