machine finished 004 (resized).jpg
machine finished 005 (resized).jpg
playfield swap 006 (resized).jpg
playfield swap 004 (resized).jpg
playfield swap 001 (resized).jpg
playfield swap 003 (resized).jpg
playfield swap 009 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I've been looking for a Cosmic Gunfight for a good number of years. Havn't been able to find one at a reasonable price range. But I did end up finding 2 populated playfields over the years. So I decided to combine the best parts of both (each were missing things but missing opposite items). So I restored the best of the 2 playfields, and almost in the final stages. I have a restored Alien poker with a Rottondog 327 board. Which is basically an altek for this era of williams. Flip some dip switches and now it's a different game. So i'm going to use the playfield as a drop swap kit. Build a crate to store whatever playfield i'm currently not using to store under the game. Coming along good so far. Very excited to play a restored cosmic Gunfight. If I find a cosmic gunfight backglass, the displays for both games are in the same spot and the display panel will work for both games.

EDIT: Some say that some system 7 games do not work with the 327 board. Anyone know off hand if there are problems with cosmic Gunfight and the 327 board?
playfield swap 001 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 001 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 003 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 003 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 004 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 004 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 006 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 006 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 009 (resized).jpgplayfield swap 009 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Is this rottendog one that works with system 7? I know some versions had issues...

#3 4 years ago

hummm Seems there is a compatibility issue with black knight on system 7. Don't know about cosmic gunfight.

Alien poker is 6A

Cosmic Gunfight is system 7.

I may have to get a specific board for Cosmic Gunfight.

#4 4 years ago

Looking good! Can I see a good photo of Alien Poker Playfield too.

#5 4 years ago

these are fresh after the restoration. Pretty much looks the same.

machine finished 003 (resized).jpgmachine finished 003 (resized).jpgmachine finished 004 (resized).jpgmachine finished 004 (resized).jpgmachine finished 005 (resized).jpgmachine finished 005 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

some sources say it works with system 3-7 and some say black knight has problems. So does that mean cosmic gunfight works as normal?

#7 4 years ago

I've only ever heard of problems using them for BK. Not sure if CF has a club here, but they're probably the folks to ask if there is one.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

these are fresh after the restoration. Pretty much looks the same.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Could only look better if it was sitting in my basement!

#9 4 years ago

Anyone know off hand if the 327 Rottendog Board works in Cosmic Gunfight?

#10 4 years ago

I’ve only heard of problems with BK. Big Daddy Enterprises was selling a new Rottendog mpu that supposedly fixed the bk issues, but it was being sold as a beta version so that the public could try it out. They were only going to sell 25 copies and that was probably two months ago. You should contact Big Daddy Enterprises and Rottendog for more info

#11 4 years ago

The Rottendog mpu with a -1 works in BK.
I believe the only issue with the other RD mpu was the BK sounds were played wrong or missing sounds.
If you need a plan "B" and want new,I can vouch for the Fred Swemmer sys7 mpu .

-Mike

#12 4 years ago

Someone said StarLight had issues with rottendog lev 7 board?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Someone said StarLight had issues with rottendog lev 7 board?

correct

I do have a chip somewhere that was given to me to fix it... oops... just remembered I was supposed to test that.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

correct
I do have a chip somewhere that was given to me to fix it... oops... just remembered I was supposed to test that.

LOL. nice. It's awesome that we have so many board resources available now. Back in the day, you had a bitch of a time finding a board you needed sometimes. And when you did, it was usually not working and needed to be fixed.

Playfield is almost ready to drop in. Flipper mechs were totally missing from one field and other field only had one. And the wire colors didn't match for the coil part. So I have to figure out what the wiring is suppose to be. Already pieced together a matching flipper mech from my parts stash. So once I get the wires figured out, then i'm going to run through a continuity test from all the plugs to the items they go to. Just to make sure things are beeping out like they should.

All switches and sockets got the wire dremel treatment like nic suggests for EM's. Shines them up like new and doesn't remove any of the coating or make flat spots. Also makes the spring inside sockets shine like new.

#15 4 years ago

so I have 4 connectors out of the cosmic gunfight playfield and an Alien Poker only has the 3 connectors.

The extra connector is the 6 pin block connector. Have no idea what this connects to. Hopefully it goes to a molex that's an empty spot on my board. Downloaded the manual but it's very crappy at telling you anything about connectors. anyone know where that 6 pin connector connects to?

All 6 pins seem to be the GI stands of the game. Still can't figure out where they connect to the cabinet and boards.
connectors 001 (resized).jpgconnectors 001 (resized).jpg

#16 4 years ago

try this bit ( bottom left corner of page 11/21) - called page 15 on the paper

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.50.50 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.50.50 pm (resized).png

#17 4 years ago

I didn't see that on the IPDB.org manual DL. All it shows was settings and diagnostics. They only have the operations manual. So I don't have the actual manual.

Thank you. now I have to figure out what 3P8 actually is.

#18 4 years ago

3P8 is a plug on the system 7 power supply I think your molex plug is 8p8 in that Pic. But it does bring up the issue where your alien poker presumably has a system 6 power supply. The GI routing changed between then since the system 7 has the integrated GI relay. I guess you'd need to track down the equivalent of the wires on 3p8 in alien poker and splice a new connector into them

#19 4 years ago

yes, that is what I need to do. Hopefully the system 6 PS has a similar output, even if it's not relay controlled.

#20 4 years ago

Also, do i have to change the sound rom chip?

#21 4 years ago

do you want the full scan? 20meg there abouts

#23 4 years ago

Thank you for the schematics. they will help a lot.

System 7 PS board has that special 6 prong connector for GI's.

System 6 doesn't have GI power of any kind. Instead it has a bank of fuses off to the side and GI's are piled on 2 of those (one with a fuse and one without). I just have to figure out how it's going from there to the playfield, as I don't see a connector for it.

I think i'm just going to have to pull Alien poker out completely and see if GI's are hardwired or there is a hidden connector I didn't find?

#24 4 years ago

Hey Neo have you given any thought to taking the cosmic gunfight playfield and making it into a p-roc game ? You could then do basically the same rules as the original cosmic gunfight but fix the major flaw in the rules that people exploit . More work on your end but you’d have yourself a one of a kind cosmic gunfight that would likely be much better than the original .

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Hey Neo have you given any thought to taking the cosmic gunfight playfield and making it into a p-roc game ? You could then do basically the same rules as the original cosmic gunfight but fix the major flaw in the rules that people exploit . More work on your end but you’d have yourself a one of a kind cosmic gunfight that would likely be much better than the original .

if I knew enough about the rules and had another $900 to invest in Proc. I know somewhat of the rules of CG, but not enough to know about the exploit.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if I knew enough about the rules and had another $900 to invest in Proc. I know somewhat of the rules of CG, but not enough to know about the exploit.

Hit the right shot over and over and you’ll get far more points than if you go for any of the games cool, unique features . Kind of ruined the game for me when I saw people do this . I still like like to try to complete the grid and get the cosmic ball , go for multiball , this what I found enjoyable about game . But if you are just going for points there is almost no reason to do anything but hit the right , good players will do that all day long . Hitting one shot over and over is not interesting to me ,I’d love to see a cosmic gunfight with better balanced rules and incentives to go for it’s unique features (like completing the grid for cosmic ball)

#27 4 years ago

I guess for tournament, you could do it like they do for mousin around and disable that switch. No more exploit

#28 4 years ago

New Problem developed. So that extra big rectangle connector you see on the cosmic gunfight. Is also in alien poker. So I thought 3 of those connectors were the same. Tried pulling out alien poker and found out that matching rectangle connector isn't part of the playfield harness. It's for the cabinet. So there is actually 2 different connectors involved. So Now I have to make a matching harness from the connectors to the boards. Easy enough to do as long as I can copy someone elses connectors. And i'll have to find the female version of these block connectors.

alien poker connectors 001 (resized).jpgalien poker connectors 001 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cosmic-alien-gunfight-poker-swap-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.