Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by The-koontz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a good line a Corvette/Popeye combo. Both machines look really good I'll have to post some pics here of them. I thnk it's a fair deal, but I'm no expert. Seems in line with average book price so we'll see. Asking $4400.00 for the pair. Got to do a 7 hour round trip to get them also.

As some of you may know I've been looking for a nice Corvette and did find some really nice ones. Popeye I just played and it was a pretty cool game I think it was a fun family themed game.

How's the pricing sound, to me it seems a tad to high but please correct me if I'm wrong and by all means if this is a good deal let me know so I can jump on it! Lol

#2 10 years ago

Well can't get the pics to save and show...looks like nice decent pins though. Not CQ but not a ragged out machine either nice quality on both.

#3 10 years ago

I'm with you, I think they are a bit high. I'm not positive but I don't think Popeye commands a very high price for a DMD game.

#4 10 years ago

Definitely high. Popeye hasn't come up much lately, and there are a few people who like it, but it's generally considered a bad game. I think it's about a $1500 game, give or take. Looks cool, but supposedly plays like ass.

Corvette was in Mr. Pinball last year around $2500. Last one on here actually sat for a while at $1850 or something crazy low. I'd say somewhere between $1800 and $2700 (I know that's a wide range) depending on condition.

Top end, you're really not looking at much more than $4k worth of game. Offer $3500 and see if he bites. Maybe a bit less, as you have a drive ahead of you.

#5 10 years ago

4k for a package deal- my 2 cents

#6 10 years ago

$4k seems right on to me also. $2500 and $1500.

#7 10 years ago

I offered a bit less and he claims $4,300 is the rock bottom price he can do. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive one way. This guy is in NJ, the games are listed on eBay. He said he'd only do that on the package deal, he says he has the games listed for slightly more then the average mr pinball price, but of course he says his are better then average.

ebay.com link: FREE SHIPPING BALLY WILLIAMS CORVETTE PINBALL MACHINE LOADED WITH LEDS AND NICE

ebay.com link: BALLY WILLIAMS POPEYE SAVES THE EARTH PINBALL MACHINE LEDS AND FREE SHIPPING

#8 10 years ago

I'm in 100% disagreement on this one...and I'd say nay all the way
Popeye - $1200(generous still - just a bad game) - Corvette - $2400-$2700....and that's if right down the street.

To each his own...but $4600 can by alot more pin - my thinking being $4300 + $300 alloted for gas/headaches/time.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from The-koontz:

I offered a bit less and he claims $4,300 is the rock bottom price he can do. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive one way. This guy is in NJ, the games are listed on eBay. He said he'd only do that on the package deal, he says he has the games listed for slightly more then the average mr pinball price, but of course he says his are better then average.

Isn't that the shady seller that likes to sell games he'd found in floods, etc?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Isn't that the shady seller that likes to sell games he'd found in floods, etc?

yep...

#11 10 years ago

Thats too much for those two pins. I don't know about corvette but popeye is a not so great game. Use that money and buy a better game all together.

#12 10 years ago

I sure wish I could find one of these corvettes for $2400-$2700 that's not beat. Everything I run across is $3K plus for average condition. I know they are out there but I just haven't found one yet.

#13 10 years ago

Do a search on the seller on here or rgp. I have never dealt with him but he gets a bad rap.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I don't know about Corvette but Popeye is a not so great game. Use that money and buy a better game all together.

Dude...he said he played it and liked it...

Its not an "A" list game, but then again, its not priced like an "A" list game.

#15 10 years ago

Wow, so glad to do some homework. This guy sounds like not so much of a great seller. There has been some good but 94% bad reviews.

For a 7 hour round trip plus $400.00 over fair market price I think I'll keep on searching and hope to find something soon. Tomorrow is the big day so to say, I'll get my taxes back and have a real budget to work with.

Thanks for the heads up y'all, I would have never gave it a 2nd thought and may have paid a couple hundred more for an above average pin, in his words! Lol

#16 10 years ago

I have a popeye and a really nice one I would put at $1500. But to put it in perspective, $4400 buys NIB metallica.

#17 10 years ago

The key to pinball buying is patience. I know you have been looking for a Corvette for a while but you can save some money of you have patience. If you are not willing to wait, and you are positive you want both, go for it. If not, there will be another in the PA, NY area someday (seems like a lot of machines in that area).

Your other option is to offer him 3k on the Corvette and if he is willing, spend the gas and time to go have a look. Worst you are out is an afternoon and some gas if it isn't in "awesome" shape, which is possible. Hard to tell actual, overall condition from pictures.

#18 10 years ago

Corvette he is willing to let go for $2599 which is okay, thought if I'd offer a combo it be a better deal. It's a Popeye at a local pinball house and it's a pretty cool game, the family and I enjoy it. I know it's not as cool as MM and what not but be worth having for the 6 year old and some company from time to time.

I had no idea this guy has been known for selling flood damaged and misrepresented machines. With that said I'm not to sure about making the trip. On the up side, I don't have to buy it and he has no money of mine so like stated above the worse that can happen is the machines aren't what they are advertised as and I waste a day trip.

#19 10 years ago

I am prepared however to hold out if need be and wait for the perfect pin to come along and I know it will someday so it's no biggie.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I sure wish I could find one of these corvettes for $2400-$2700 that's not beat. Everything I run across is $3K plus for average condition. I know they are out there but I just haven't found one yet.

Pinside member Jewboyflowerhead had one for sale for quite a while; it dropped from the low 2s to $1850, ultimately. Looked solid overall, though he said a ramp was cracked. Granted, that's the exception to the rule, but that means there are plenty of people out there NOT snatching up sub-$2000 Corvettes.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from The-koontz:

and I waste a day trip.

Day trips are never wasted. I always stop for lunch or dinner some place with my son or wife ( who ever I could talk into going) and just enjoy the time together. Its just like taking the corvette out for a drive,I never know where I am going, I just go.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from The-koontz:

Corvette he is willing to let go for $2599 which is okay, thought if I'd offer a combo it be a better deal.

If the machine is in really great shape, this price isn't crazy out of line for that era DMD machine. If you plan to keep it for a long time and the machine is in great shape, why not go have a look? Since you are looking at it in person, you will be able to spot any water damage, etc. Just look for discolored, moldy/mildewed wood, puffy particle board pieces, rough particle board and musty smells. Check inside the base cabinet, inside the back of the backbox and crawl underneath and look at the board on the bottom of the cabinet. Look for corroded, burned connectors on the transformer and inside the cabinet and on the boards in the backbox. Look for rusty screw heads, transformer and hardware (some light surface rusting of these things is normal, excessive is not).

#23 10 years ago

also check (if you are going to look at the Popeye)...Bluto's scoop. It gets the sh*t kicked out of it and a lot of them, the welds are busted out. Also, on games like Popeye, plastics are hard to come by, so a cracked plastic may not be a big deal until you go looking for one.

In all seriousness, being new, don't be blinded by the LED's, shinny pretty things. There are several resources here on pinside as to a check list on what to look for when buying a game. Make sure there are no credit dots, shooter lane wear, etc. each specific game have their individual issues...TZ the clock and trough board, BSD mist multiball, etc etc....just do your homework before buying the game. Nothing worse than seeing a shiny pretty new to you LED'd game sitting there not working.

Post edited by burningman : a lot not alot

#24 10 years ago

IF you do decide to make the trip.. he has a Flintstones on Ebay as well.. that is a much better and very family friendly game.. Personally I would that that game any day over Popeye..

BUT, you really do want to go and see the machines!

#25 10 years ago

I don't know, I value Popeye higher than most, I think a really nice one should be around the 2k mark by now. The rules are pretty good, it needs a lot of changes I have noted before (read my review for more info), but as a widebody, and that it's pretty impossible to get any WPC under $2k, I don't think that is a stretch. Buying both in a package though *feels* like there should be a bit o a deal. I'd be happy, if they are really nice, around $4000-$4200.

#26 10 years ago

I'd like to get someone who knows what they are looking at so...

If anyone in the NJ area not busy this coming up Saturday? I'd be willing to provide gas reimbursement and lunch? To help me evaluate them!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvettepopeye-combo-deal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.