5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1050521 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I´m having the problem that on my completely shopped Corvette (with CPR repro playfield) the ball almost never stays in the engine but more or less immediately drops into the lock. I´ve been on and off analyzing the problem but couldn´t really identify any problem with the gate itself until I noticed that the gate closes with a slight delay after the ball passes the first opto on the ramp. I wondered how long that delay is and because I couldn´t figure out a way to measure that with an oscilloscope I tried recording the behaviour with a high speed camera. Although my little movie was very dark and fuzzy I could still see that the delay was almost half a second until the gate drops down. If the ball takes a straight way from the bat up the ramp, against the back gate and back it looked to me that it´s back at the front gate well before that half second is over. So it drops into the lock before it can be blocked by the front gate to stay in the engine. I figured that this might be due to the higher speed of the ball on these 2k playfields.
But because my video was so fuzzy I wanted to make sure that my impression is correct and the delay is really that long. So I used my PinLightShield and some Arduino code to measure the time between the first opto and the second one (to determine the ball speed) and the time between the first opto and the moment the coil of the gate gets activated. You can see my setup here:

P1050521 (resized).JPGP1050521 (resized).JPG

The results are pretty consistent with what I could see on my video. The delay of the coil activation is always somewhere between 350 and 400 ms.
The time the ball takes between opto1 and opto2 is 22 ms on a solid shot that didn´t bounce anywhere before going up the ramp. The distance the ball has to cover from opto1 to the back gate and back to the front gate is about 8 times the distance between opto1 and opto2, so it would take the ball 176 ms (8 x 22) to travel that distance. So even if it gets slowed down a bit more after passing opto2 and hitting the back gate there´s still plenty of time to sneak under the front gate before that actually comes down.

This raises the following questions, which I hope some of you can shed some light on:

1.) Is that delay of almost half a second normal?

2.) If yes, what could be done about it? Tweak the code (I´ve never done that)? Put some foam on the back gate to slow down the ball?

3.) Has anybody else seen this behaviour on Corvettes with a new 2k playfield?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

This raises the following questions, which I hope some of you can shed some light on:
1.) Is that delay of almost half a second normal?
2.) If yes, what could be done about it? Tweak the code (I´ve never done that)? Put some foam on the back gate to slow down the ball?
3.) Has anybody else seen this behaviour on Corvettes with a new 2k playfield?

My Corvette doesn’t have a CPR playfield, but I don’t recall a delay that long. Have you checked the solenoid to see if there is any mechanical binding? Replaced the coil sleeve?

Tweaking the code will be an epic adventure. The code for these games isn’t available - you’d have to extract the program from the roms and reverse engineer it. It’s possible, but my guess would be hundreds of hours of work assuming you had a good deal of experience with everything involved, thousands if not.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

My Corvette doesn’t have a CPR playfield, but I don’t recall a delay that long. Have you checked the solenoid to see if there is any mechanical binding? Replaced the coil sleeve?
Tweaking the code will be an epic adventure. The code for these games isn’t available - you’d have to extract the program from the roms and reverse engineer it. It’s possible, but my guess would be hundreds of hours of work assuming you had a good deal of experience with everything involved, thousands if not.

All parts on that coil are new and there´s no mechanical issue. With my setup I´m actually measuring the moment when the driver transistor opens the path to ground, so mechanical issues wouldn´t be registered.
One strange thing I´ve noticed is that this particular coil gives kind of a buzzing sound when activated.

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

Mine misses sometimes also... when I get the chance i am going to film it and review in slow speed to see if the issue is mechanical.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

Ok I finally got out to mine and gave it a few runs. I didn’t time it, but it seemed a lot quicker than 400ms. I rolled the ball up there pretty fast and it always caught when the gate was supposed to be down.

You may be looking at a mechanical issue.

2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

Hi Brijam,
sorry for responding so late but I was on vacation.

The delay I was measuring is really the software delay, because my trigger is the moment the driver transistor shorts the coil to ground. Any mechanical delay would be on top of that.

But I just noticed that I´m on v1 of the software while there are updated versions which seem to address also issues with the lower rev gate.
I just burned a new EPROM and will measure the delay again with the new version. I´ll report the results asap.

What version is your Corvette on?
Herbert

1 week later
#7 5 years ago

Installed the new EPROMs (v2.1) over the weekend. The delay in the code has been cut in half so is now roughly 200ms. It´s still too long for really fast shots up the ramp on this clearcoated pf but I´d say in >90% the lower gate catches the ball before it can fall into the lock.
If I´d only known that the solution is as easy as installing a new software version.......

Playing my Corvette is now a whole lot more fun than it was before!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-zr1-low-rev-gate-closes-delayed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.