Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8442506638_3f806397fb_o.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

Just got my Corvette machine this weekend. It worked fine when I picked it up, but after I removed the backbox and put it back together in order to get it in my attic, the machine would not start up properly... Dot matrix gave random pixels so I checked the ribbon cables. Tried a few things and after a while the dot matrix worked again, except that it gives random pixels for a few second directly after I turn the machine on. Worse, the engine on the playfield, the race track and the flippers don't work anymore. I checked the fuses and found out all fuses on the fliptronic board (F901-F904) and one fuse on the powerdriver board (F111) were blown. I replaced all the blown fuses with new ones but when I then started the machine all 3 flippers flipped once and then didn't work again. Checked the fuses again, all replaced fuses blown...
When I tried to find the ribbon cable problem, the machine also started to smell a little like something inside was smouldering...
What could be the problem here? Fliptronics board broken?

All help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Bart

#2 11 years ago

Be sure all connectors are in the right spots. And facing the right direction.

The gray ribbon cables have a red stripe down one side, that red stripe goes to pin one each end, the boards are marked for this.

You definitely hooked something up wrong, no telling it you did any damage or not beyond the fuses.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Hi LTG, thanks for your reaction. All connectors seem to be in the same place as they were before I removed the backbox and they all definitely face the right direction. The machine works fine expect for the corvette engine, race track and flippers.

How do I find out what causes the fuses to blow upon startup?

#4 11 years ago

Fuses blow because of a surge of current greater than they were designed for. So you have to figure what is causing this.

Since it was good before the move, I really suspect cables and connectors. After that anything that could have shifted or moved. Look for things shorting to metal, metal parts behind boards, pinched wires.

And you could have more than one problem.

Be sure the ribbon cable for the engine is plugged into the right spot.

These three things you mention - Corvette engine, race track and flippers - all involve ribbon cables. Be sure they go to the right boards, be sure red stripe pin one each end.

#5 11 years ago

Ok thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

I'm quite sure the ribbon cables are in the right place, but even if one isn't, can that (directly of indirectly) cause the fuses to blow?

I'll check all the wires tomorrow since I noticed some quick-fix patches from the past, maybe they caused a faulty connection somewhere during the move.

#6 11 years ago

All connectors seem to be in the same place as they were before I removed the backbox an

In my experience, there is No seem... it is exactly or not exactly. One pin out of place is a problem, one ribbon upside down, etc is a problem.

I would unplug everything, get the manual out and redo everything 2 or 3 times, till its Exactly how it should be.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

Here is a pic

8442506638_3f806397fb_o.jpg8442506638_3f806397fb_o.jpg

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from dezaanster:

I'm quite sure the ribbon cables are in the right place, but even if one isn't, can that (directly of indirectly) cause the fuses to blow?

Yes it can blow fuses or damage stuff.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

dezaanster said:

Yes it can blow fuses or damage stuff.

The ribbon cable on the top right side of the CPU when installed backwards on one end takes out F109.

#9 11 years ago

I recently had the exact same problem on my corvette. A ribbon cable was rotated on one end. Check them all. Also check the long one that runs to the slave board under the playfield and make sure it's got pin 1 lined up.

#10 11 years ago

does the slings and the pops work? I had a chip issue with mine causing simlar problems...but my flips still worked...reset my chip and all was good.....but more than likely LTG has you on the right track with a ribbon cable wrong, or upside down

#11 11 years ago

Corvette start up problems?

Well, that means a problem with fuel, air or spark. Start with checking your battery, starter motor, and spark plug wires.....

Oh wait, you're asking about the pinball, not the car....

Later,
EV
proud 2000 C5 owner

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-startup-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.