Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bballmr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I am looking for some help with my Bally Corvette. It keeps restarting randomly when hitting the flippers. After many hours of research I understand this is a safety mechanism and the first place to start is the power Drive board. So here are the things I have done....
1. Replaced all bridge rectifiers
2. Replaced all capacitors
3. Soldered in safety bridge wires to help with shut downs
4. Replaced the connector at J101

At this point the game still starts up fine and still shuts down when using the flippers. Any idea on where to do from here?

#2 4 years ago

Assuming replacing all that stuff didn't hurt the board. I'd check Q1 ( big transistor on a heat sink ) on the driver board. Does the area around it look like it may have been too hot ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

The game will restart if the batteries are dead. Worth checking.

#4 4 years ago

I replaced the batteries but noticed the old ones had some acid. Nothing on the board but some acid on the metal contacts that the batteries make contact with. I am wondering if I need to completely replace the battery holder at this point?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from bballmr:

I am wondering if I need to completely replace the battery holder at this point?

Remove it and see what surprises are under it.

#7 4 years ago

I’m just confirming when you asked me to check Q1. Are you referring to the voltage regulator LM323k? The area on the board around that seems to look completely fine. However, it seems to get got very quickly.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from bballmr:

Are you referring to the voltage regulator LM323k?

Yes.

Quoted from bballmr:

it seems to get got very quickly.

That is why the big heat sink.

#9 4 years ago

Post a picture of the board with the battery holder removed please. Fumes from leaking batteries tend to go around and behind that particular battery holder.

#10 4 years ago

I am a NVRAM fan who loves helping get rid of batteries forever. ChrisHibler will be happy to do that for you.

#11 4 years ago

I had this issue with games before. If you're sure your driver board is operating within spec, I'd try a few other things

1. Look for cracked solder joints on the flipper coil lugs. Check the diodes too. I once reflowed the solder on a cracked lug and it fixed the issue for me.
2. Reseat any Z connectors between CPU and driver board (not sure if Corvette has one or not)
3. Be sure your driver board is secured tightly to the backbox to ensure a good ground.

#12 4 years ago

A couple things for those with the same problem.

1. Dead or no batteries has no affect whatsoever on game resets.

2. Wholesale/shotgun replacement of parts is seldom an effective method and is never advised for this board. In general, folks cause more problems than they fix by doing this.

What should you do in these cases? Follow the bible:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

A couple things for those with the same problem.
1. Dead or no batteries has no affect whatsoever on game resets.

Agreed. It's only a bit annoying at startup when you have no batteries and no nvram in the game. Open the coin door, clear the warnings and play on.

#14 4 years ago

So the verdict is.... I purchased all new screws to the power driver board that hold it in place. Considering a few of the the old screws kept turning and wouldn't get tight and they were stripped I figured it could used new ones. All shutdown issues are now resolved. Moral of the story. Follow the guide. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and keeping me on track with going in the right direction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-restarting-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.