• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220501_200846 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I went to play my Corvette after not playing it for a few months. Everything seemed good and then when I was in a multi-ball it reset. I started a new game and hit both flipper buttons rapidly and it reset again.

I hooked up my DMM to test point 2 on the power driver board and it was at 5.2 volts in attract mode. I left it hooked up and started playing a game and it held steady at 5.2 volts. It reset and I looked up at the DMM and it was still at 5.2.

Any ideas on what I should look at to see what is causing the reset?

#6 1 year ago

I hooked my DMM up to the positive side of c-31 on the mpu board. In attract mode and casual play it held pretty steady at 5.18 volts. If I hammered on the flippers I saw it dropped to 5.14 volts.

I looked at the j114 and j210 connectors. A couple of the contacts in the middle of the j210 connector look slightly tarnished. I will probably go ahead and replace the connectors and housings on both j 214 and j210.

20220501_200846 (resized).jpg20220501_200846 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I had this issue when I was shopping out a Corvette. I went through a bunch of the usual WPC reset troubleshooting and couldn't sort it out. Voltages were good. Connectors looked really good too. Turned out to be too much on my circuit in the garage at the time. Standard 15A circuit with a GFCI. When a portable air conditioner or dehumidifier were running I would get reset issues usually during a multiball with lots of coils firing. Unplugged those and zero issues with the game. Its funny, the breaker or GFCI never tripped though.

I was thinking it may have been an issue with the line in power also but the funny thing is that it has been set up this way for years and it just started doing the resets.

I do have a dehumidifier in the basement but it is on the opposite side so I'm not sure it's on the same circuit but I may try to unplug it to see if it changes anything.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any tarnish on the red pins of J101?

I'm not sure I'll have to check.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

It's hard to see exactly, but it looks like your power in plug has corrosion/battery acid damage.

Which plug connector is the power in?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

It's hard to see exactly, but it looks like your power in plug has corrosion/battery acid damage.
You've got a replacement CPU, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone plugged the battery acid compromised connector into a brand new CPU and thought that would work.
If you are seeing what I'm seeing, you'll need to replace that connector, with Trifurcons.
You need to get extremely good power to the CPU, any tarnish or corrosion anywhere on the power delivery plugs and connectors... you'll need to replace them.

From the other work that I have seen on this game prior to me getting it I wouldn't be surprised at all either if they thought the new board was all they needed to do.

Yep, I agree, whenever I replace connectors I always swap to trifurcon connectors.

Are there any other power connectors that I should look at and or change? If so, do you know which ones they are?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

J101, J114 and J210 would be the connectors that can cause reboot issues.

I checked J114 and J210 per your advice. I'll also look at j101. Thanks!

2 months later
#16 1 year ago

I finally got back around to working on Corvette.

I replaced the connector and contacts for j210. I played a few games and everything acted normal. I hammered on the flippers with the DMM connected to the positive side of c-31 on the mpu board and I only saw it dropped to 5.18 from 5.20.

I'm not 100% sure that the reset was being caused by that connector. The reason I say that is because my Dirty Harry reset on me a couple weeks ago. When I first got the Dirty Harry it started resetting as soon as I brought it home. It was my very first game and I didn't know how to work on pinball machines so I had a local guy fix the board and it has not reset again until a couple weeks ago. When it reset I started digging. I looked at my line voltage and it was down to 116 volts. I like to have all of my games turned on at the same time. I hooked the DMM up to my surge protector that I have a few of the games plugged into and then I started turning the games off one by one. I picked up approximately 1 volt for every game I turn off. I think that was the cause of the Dirty Harry resetting and maybe part of Corvette resetting but I tried playing Corvette with all of the games on today and it eventually did reset but before I fixed the J210 connector it would reset as soon as I hit the flipper buttons.

So, lesson learned for me is to make sure to check line voltage first because we know low voltage will make the games reset.

Thanks to everyone for all of the diagnostic help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Boards
Slap Save Creations

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindude80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-resetting-1?tu=pindude80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.