New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 133005)

Corvette repro engine wires?

By cait001

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20150709_220717.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I posted up my experience with the reproduction Corvette engine wires and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience?
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.ca/2015/07/sprucing-up-corvette-engine.html

I've had so many headaches with them, but I am determined to make them work for me.

IMG_20150709_220717.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Can the wires be heated and then bent or stretched slightly, to fit into the holes on the silver part. If not, if you are handy, a small flexible black hose could be fabricated to bridge the gap. The hose could even pass as an automotive part.

As a modification could real spark plug wires be used?

#3 5 years ago

I just put a set of these on, completely different flexibility/elasticity than the originals. And by completely different i mean the repro'd ones are junk they can be made to work though, heating doesn't help they will melt before getting flexible. It's a completely different material than the original. The reproes are tough sort of chalky texture. What I did was take a drill bit slightly bigger than the holes and by hand turn them into the engine block, the black plastic holes are a separate molded part from the engine so drilling them can easily separate them from the block(from the underside you can see the are just heated and creased with something on the bottom to make them stick to the engine block). If you do accidentally separate one from the block you could probably just super glue it back.

Anyway by hand use a drill bit one size larger than the holes for the plugs, the large hole will take about two drill bit sizes larger, then carefully push with one hand on the top side. I then with my other hand taking care not to crack the block grabbed what I could of the orange repro wires with a leatherman tool pulled from the bottom while pushing the too down. It takes quite a bit of force but after you've drilled(by hand I wouldn't suggest a power drill it would likely demolish your engine) you can get the new wires to make it into their spots.

I would say this project is not for the faint of heart as the corvette engine blocks are as far as I know still unobtainium so breaking the one you've got would be a major bummer.

#4 5 years ago

I just read your blog. I haven't booted mine back up to play yet as I'm in the middle of a full shop out with the new cpr plastics.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

I just read your blog and now I'm thinking these wires still aren't gonna work because without the flexibility of the originals they are gonna throw the engine calibration all to crap with these hard wires bump into stuff. I haven't booted mine back up to play yet as I'm in the middle of a full shop out with the new cpr plastics.

I think I can swing it by pinning them somehow to the upper left corner. That keeps the low enough to avoid the wireform. They will definitely mess up the LT5 otherwise.

how was there no warning with these pieces? I feel like people buying them have no idea what they're getting in to.

#6 5 years ago

Invert your wires I just edited my post, just rotate the base and the wires will lay low and looks better. Mine didn't have any clearance trouble I just went and looked after looking at your pic.

I agree though I was bummed at the difference and color change. Somebody had melted mine with a soldering gun it looked like though so the originals were rough.

#7 5 years ago

Wow, that is really sad. I was excited to see the repro parts made available but the color and fit apparently seem way off. My stock wires are red-orange and basically match the art on the backboard. The repro ones look pale orange in those pictures... obviously a part that is even somewhat close is better than no part... Would seem PPS would have had some people test fit these parts...

Have you tried pulling the wires into the block from the back of the plastic block? With those type of pointed, rubber nubs, pulling it through the hole with a pliers or something usually works best for me...

My stock wires rub into the wireform too, so that aspect of the part is an accurate reproduction!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Have you tried pulling the wires into the block from the back of the plastic block? With those type of pointed, rubber nubs, pulling it through the hole with a pliers or something usually works best for me...

There's really very little give on that big nub. The plastics are pretty hard.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Wow, that is really sad. I was excited to see the repro parts made available but the color and fit apparently seem way off.

I figure if they can do those pipes then perhaps a repro engine cover is not far off? The ease 3D scanning and printing has come a long way.

#9 5 years ago

If the problem now is just with the ends not pushing into the top of the engine couldn't you just sand down the nubs a bit to where they will slide through the holes (I agree I wouldn't drill the engine itself) and then just hotglue the wires in on the inside?

#10 5 years ago

Or put the wire on a cutting board and shave the large nub down with a xacto knife until it pops in with just enough resistance?

#11 5 years ago

Oh yes, I certainly plan on doing something like that, just expressing my annoyance with their current state.

#12 5 years ago

I don't own this game, but might you guys get someone to make a new engine block in a 3d printer? Terry for example or Mezel. Also I just noticed how cool the wires would look if they were el wires.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
bB Customs
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside