Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinMario
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

i have a bally corvette pinball and i was recently changing out some playfield bulbs to leds and i accidentally bumped one of the bulbs to a transistor on the racetrack motor board under the playfield and there was a small spark. i have checked all the fuses and they are all good, the game reports a racetrack error and when you turn the machine on it doesnt do the self test. i have attempted the self test in the menu options and it fails, but the locator sensors for the cars are working fine. i pulled the circuit board with the transistor and replaced the one in question hoping that would fix it but no luck. curious what else i could try or test, id love to get this back working aap. any help is appreciated. thanks

#2 2 years ago

Do you know which transistor is replaced ? (photo maybe)

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMario:

Do you know which transistor is replaced ? (photo maybe)

i believe it was transistor q2 on the motor final drive board thats under the playfield. i have since replaced it but still no racetrack

#4 2 years ago

I would test your incoming voltages to make sure you did not damage anything further back on the power driver board, then test the transistors and diodes on the motor control board. I would also use a 9v battery and check the actual motor which I would suspect is still good

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

I would test your incoming voltages to make sure you did not damage anything further back on the power driver board, then test the transistors and diodes on the motor control board. I would also use a 9v battery and check the actual motor which I would suspect is still good

ok thanks, i will start there and report back my findings. thanks

#6 2 years ago

ok so i took a look in the manual pg 3-26 and the board is actually the dual h-drive controller pcb. i tested input voltage and it was good at 20vdc, and i was able to bump both the drive motors with a 9v battery np. so far its looking as if its this particular board that is the issue. im curious how i could test the individual transistors, maybe i need to replace another one as well

#7 2 years ago

another update. i decided to swap out the other transistor right behind it as well as the diode feeding them both. i now have some movement when the machine trys to self test. the one cars moves forward but very slowly. the transistors get very hot as well. im sure ive connected them correctly as well

#8 2 years ago

Hi,
I think you have to measure the signals starting at J1 while in manual test mode, keep in mind this is a H-drive so Q2 is working together with Q3 and Q1 with Q4 (this is for motor 1) So you should be able to folow the DIR** and ENABLE** signals from J1 to J2 (or J3) Pay attention to the type of transistors (NPN and PNP) and check you replaced it with the correct types.
succes

#9 2 years ago

ok, i will give that a try. thanks for the input

#10 2 years ago

ended up replacing the entire board and the machine is working great again

#11 2 years ago

Glad you got it working again, maybe now you can experiment with the faulty board, feel free to ask

#12 2 years ago

ya i was planning on having a look at it and seeing if i can figure out whats wrong. always good to have a back up. do you also own a corvette machine? i find with the drag race you have to keep hitting targets otherwise it ends quite quickly. any idea why?

#13 2 years ago

Yes I have a Corvette, and some others.
If you are in a drag race, you should try to shoot combo's and the popbumpers, the harder the shots the faster you go

here are some pic's of the Corvette:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-playfield-backplate-decal#post-4721399

#14 2 years ago

right on. looks good. do you have the engine part that goes in the left corner?? im currently working on a cover for the top of it to make it look more complete. i will post pictures when i get a prototype made

#15 2 years ago

Yes, mine has the engine cover. Do you need pics of it ?

Happy Newyear

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside