image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
ActiveGate2.jpg
IMG_9066.jpg
IMG_9058.jpg
Gates_1__2.jpg
IMG_0216.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisAZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

There are actually 3 gates on the LT5 ramp and engine.

Gate 1 - The passive gate (green in your picture)
Gate 2 - The active "rev" gate (red in your picture)
Gate 3 - The active "exit" gate (not pictured)

The only active gate is gate 3 at the back of the engine. You have to trigger ball lock ("Lite Kickback" under the dragstrip) in which case gate 3 closes and the ball is stuck in the engine. Gates 1 and 2 are both passive. When the ball is stuck in the engine and rev mode starts, the ball shakes back and forth. At the end of revving, if gate 2 is adjusted correctly, the ball should move back under the gate 2 flap and fall into locked position. Sometimes this may take several tries by the engine. After three balls are locked, they will be ejected one at a time for kick-back play.

If a weak shot happens to get past gate 1 but not gate 2 then it will fall into the locked position. If you are not in lock mode (the 3rd light to the LT-5 ramp "LT-5 LOCK" is not lit then the ball will be kicked out of the locked position. The only time the ball will stay in locked position is when the "LT-5 LOCK" light to the ramp is turned on. This could also happen with a weak shot that gets pass gate 2 but not gate 3.

When the "LT-5 LOCK" light is not on, gate 3 is open and the ball will normally pass through the engine in a loop.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

just noticed I am missing the fake spark plug wires .. adding that to the slingshot plastics I need ..

Check out this link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-repro-engine-wires

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

In the first situation, the ball get out the the engine immediately without rev, is blocked by the fist gate wire and fall into the hole.
In the second, the ball stays in the engine, even when the rev is finished. I have to remove the glass to unlock the ball.

Can someone help me understanding how the second gate should behave and what is wrong ?

The second gate needs to be adjusted. It is a little tricky. It should never stay open. The gate needs to be tweaked by bending the gate wires that hold up the flap. After revving, the engine should slowly move to center position. At which time the ball should move under the gate 2 flap and slide into the the lock position. Gate 1 prevents the ball from sliding back down the ramp.

The "LT-5 LOCK" light needs to be on for the ball to be actually locked. This is triggered by hitting the switch near the dragstrip labelled "LITE KICKBACK".

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

2 and 3 are indeed active gates. If your gate 2 does not go up and down during the various actions, you have a mechanical or electrical problem.
Go into solenoid test and test solenoids 2 and 5. 2 is the lower gate and 5 is the upper gate... when the solenoids are inactive, gate 2 is up and gate 3 is down. Activate the solenoid to move the gates into their opposite positions.

Interesting.....

I do have an early production machine (Delco logos on the back glass vette bumper, no centering adjustment pot on the engine).
I tried the solenoid tests. Nothing happens with test #2, test #5 activates the rear gate.

I have removed the gate #2 by removing just the 2 screws. Nothing is attached to it such as a linkage to a solenoid. This is how I tweaked it to get the ball to drop in the locked position. Hmmmm!

I can see having gate #2 attached to a solenoid would be a big improvement.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Very interesting indeed.

I took a close look at my Gate 2 last night and there is a spring that connects to a loop in the wire gate wire on the right side of the gate. The spring goes straight down into the plastics on the right side. You should be able to see a solenoid under the PF. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Here is a picture of mine:
(I did add a strip of stainless steel between the right side of gates 1 & 2 because there was a crack in the plastic ramp)

Gates 1 & 2.jpgGates 1 & 2.jpg

2 months later
#28 8 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

DennisAZ said:

Here is a picture of mine:
(I did add a strip of stainless steel between the right side of gates 1 & 2 because there was a crack in the plastic ramp)
Gates 1 & 2.jpg

The stainless is blocking the path to the solenoid and where the spring would connect to the ramp gate.
IMG_9058.JPG

EUREKA!

I have to apologize to everyone. I have found the gate 2 solenoid and spring. The spring was not connected to the gate when I bought the machine. I inadvertently covered the slot with the SS support that I made.
I was looking for the solenoid to be under the play field. It is hidden above the pf and under the ramp. I notched the SS support and connected the spring. Hey.... It plays a whole lot differently now. Thanks, this is a great site!

ActiveGate2.jpgActiveGate2.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisAZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-problem-with-engine-entryexit-gates?tu=DennisAZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.