• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Corvette.jpg
Race_Track_Lighting.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Looking for comments. The Drag strip always seem rather dark. I added two LED light strips under the track. They show through the two slots. They are always on when the machine is on. I can easily unplug them. I also bought a dimmer for them if needed, but they seem to be OK without it. I was wondering what others thought of this?

Race_Track_Lighting.JPGRace_Track_Lighting.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Looks good

Very cool use of LEDs

Other people may not like it, as long as you do, that is all that matters

#3 10 years ago

I added a lamp to the right pop bumper....really adds a lot of light. Williams decided to do away with the right pop bumper lamp in production.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I added a lamp to the right pop bumper....really adds a lot of light. Williams decided to do away with the right pop bumper lamp in production.

Did you remove that red opaque shield on top of the right pop bumper? And where did you wire the socket to? I had thought of doing this at one time.

#5 10 years ago

It looks cool. But it's not blinding? Seems like having them under the track wouldn't really light the track but might instead sort of blind. I put my strip on the metal guard angled down. It thoroughly lights the whole track. But with mirror blades I can see it. I'm not particularly thrilled with either solution and plan to revisit it.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It looks cool. But it's not blinding?

That is why I bought the dimmer just in case. I don't find it blinding. The LEDs are just outside of the slots. So I'm not looking directly at them. But if you move around, you can see the individual LEDs. I had as a backup to lay a plastic diffuser on top of the strips. The strips were cool white. That way, I could put in even a colored diffuser. I'm sure yours illuminates it better from the side. I also have the mirror blades. But as it is, it is a big improvement.

Now If I could put headlights in the cars

1 month later
#7 10 years ago

I decided to add a diffuser to the strip LED lighting. It is a white 22in X 2.5in X 1/8in HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) plastic strip. This lays on top of the LEDs. Needed to drill three 1/2in holes to accommodate the screws/posts that hold the top portion.

I also added a 3 LED segment that shows off the cars at the starting line. This made a world of difference.

Corvette.jpgCorvette.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Looks great to me.

#9 10 years ago

Seems to look ok from the pics. Adding headlights to the cars would be cool.
I also added a lamp to the third jet bumper and it is a big improvement. I did not remove that orange plastic on top of the jet. Don't need to IMO.
I wired mine to one of the other jet lamps. I put an LED in each jet to compensate for the additional lamp power draw and more importantly, so I hopefully don't have to replace it because it is a MAJOR PITA to get to that jet bumper. That is probably why they left the lamp out. I guess they figured noone would ever replace the bulb.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I also added a lamp to the third jet bumper and it is a big improvement. I did not remove that orange plastic on top of the jet. Don't need to IMO.
I wired mine to one of the other jet lamps. I put an LED in each jet to compensate for the additional lamp power draw and more importantly, so I hopefully don't have to replace it because it is a MAJOR PITA to get to that jet bumper. That is probably why they left the lamp out. I guess they figured none would ever replace the bulb.

Thanks for the info

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopping-a-corvette-machine

About halfway down this forum topic, I explained how I replace the bulbs in the pop bumpers. Got a lot of criticism for drilling a couple of 1/8in holes in the ramp. I figured it was better doing this then messing things up by removing ramps and structures. This is when I discovered that there wasn't a socket in the third pop bumper.
Probably takes less than 10 minutes to change a bulb this way.

Here is a link to my other project:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/miniature-space-station-lit-up

#11 10 years ago

Any chance you can give more details or a link to what you used for a diffuser? That sounds like a great solution.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Any chance you can give more details or a link to what you used for a diffuser? That sounds like a great solution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILG0TQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

I cut it to size on a table saw then drilled three 1/2in holes 7 inches apart where the posts protrude from the top of the drag strip.

#13 10 years ago

looks great ,,good job .........im a modder myself , my mother was a modder, so I come from a definite lineage of modders

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-drag-strip-under-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.