(Topic ID: 110634)

Corvette Club (members only but passengers allowed)

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 603 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240313_193654 (resized).jpg
20240313_193708 (resized).jpg
Get Your Kicks on Route 66 A Road Map to Bally’s Corvette (resized).png
Corvette Pinball Playfield Overview (2) (resized).png
Corvette Pinball Noah's Strats (resized).png
P1070757 (resized).JPG
P1070750 (resized).JPG
P1070749 (resized).JPG
IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0374 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7821 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4624 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230322_182632 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200607_184103 (resized).jpg
IMG_2651 (resized).jpg
CORVT PST (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider biglebowski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

Hi Everyone, been restoring my Corvette pinball, power coated legs side rails and coin box outer trim in of course Chevy Orange. Stripped playfield and Novus 2 and waxed, replaced all three ramps, led playfield and back box, installed third pop bumper lamp. replaced all cabinet bolts with silver plated ones, and chrome flipper buttons, New flipper coils and rebuilds orange silicone flipper rubbers and translucent on slings, switch to white rubbers everywhere else replaced plastics with new set,but can't seem to find out where the larger of the two pieces in the pic goes.
So any ideas where this last piece of the puzzle goes?

@silverball0: can´t help you with that plastic part because my Corvette restoration is still in its early stages, but wanted to ask you where you got the ramps from. PSPA? Or did you find another source?

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

lt-5 ramp from Starship fantasy, extra thick ramp complete with decal and one set of optos. Skid plate ramp came from PSPA, and the big combo ramp was a NOS ramp found on ebay, seems nobody is reproducing this ramp.

Hi silverball0,
PSPA also has the big combo ramp (called race track ramp) in their shop and even the lower decal. Just the upper decal is sold out there.
What did you do about the grey-yellow decal underneath the Skid plate ramp? Did you get that from somewhere, too?
Cheers
Herbert

1 week later
#73 8 years ago

Hi,
for my soon to start Corvette restoration I´m in need of a few playfield decals:

- the X-mas tree top decal
- the loop ramp decal (the gray-yellow one saying SKID PAD)
- the backboard decal (the big one)
- both race track decals

Does anybody offer those or does anyone have printable files or hi-res pictures of those?

Thanks
Herbert

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

Is this one of the decals you require?
ebay.com link » Bally Corvette Pinball Machine Playfield Back Panel Wood Decal New Nos Rare

exactly, that´s one of them. Funny that I didn´t find that, although I have a permanent query for Corvette on Ebay......

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

Is this one of the decals you require?
ebay.com link » Bally Corvette Pinball Machine Playfield Back Panel Wood Decal New Nos Rare

exactly, that´s one of them. Funny that I didn´t find that, although I have a permanent query for Corvette on Ebay......

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

planetary pinball is listing the L5 motor ramp decal for 10 dollars as well

that one I got already from MoP

1 month later
#92 8 years ago
Quoted from silverball0:

I couldn't find the skid pad decal anywhere, so in the mean time I am running without it, but a friend that owns a vinyl decal sign shop is trying to make a copy. Once he has a sample or two then I will also try to slowly remove the original from the old ramp to see about reusing it

Hi silverball0, was your friend successful in making a copy of the Skid Pad Ramp decal? I´m still looking for one, because that ramp is also broken on mine (like the other two).

1 month later
#99 8 years ago

Just a quick warning: there´s a guy on Ebay offering backboard decals for Corvette. If there aren´t two versions of the backboard then his decal is just crap. The left hole is way, way off from where it should be and in the top right corner the decal is just a bit too wide.

// Error: Image 474302 not found // // Error: Image 474303 not found //

// Error: Image 474301 not found //

1 month later
#103 8 years ago

I´m about to reassemble my playfield and I stumbled over a mismatch between the manual and my pictures. It´s this area:
P1030849.JPGP1030849.JPG

According to the manual there should be a post with a sleeve somewhere behind the VUK hole:
Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

Can somebody help me out with a picture what this area should look like?

My second question is: which plastic was here before it broke off?
P1030852.JPGP1030852.JPG

#109 8 years ago

Hi Dennis,
thanks for the hint with the plastic!!!

Re. the post: Are you sure that´s the one? Because it´s left of the VUK, not behind. Unless the drawing is totally off...
Yours could be the "K" in the drawing, but it doesn´t have a ring.
BTW, that post is also missing in my game. Instead somebody put a post on the left side of the ZR-1 ramp....
P1030895.JPGP1030895.JPG

Herbert

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

That extra post is probably what's supposed to be J.

that´s what I´m thinking, too. Thanks everybody, I´m sure I´ll be back with more questions....

1 week later
#113 8 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

that´s what I´m thinking, too. Thanks everybody, I´m sure I´ll be back with more questions....

.....and here comes the next question:
I´m putting the engine assembly back together after I´ve zinc-plated everything. When I put the Shake Weldment into its bearings it´s sitting pretty tight and unfortunately I can´t remember if that was also the case before I took it apart. I believe it moved quite easily so maybe the zinc-plating did something to the bearings?

2 months later
#116 8 years ago

Does anybody have a nice scan of the racetrack decals? My racetrack is broken in many places and I got a new one from PSPA, but I´m afraid that my decals will not survive when I tear them from my old racetrack to put them onto the new one......

The decals themselves would of course be even better but so far I wasn´t able to find a source for them.

1 month later
#117 7 years ago

A question re. the clear plastic that sits on top of the Skid Pad ramp (holding the exit switch): is it sitting on two or three plastic posts in your machine?

6 months later
#135 7 years ago

Have a look at mantisamusement.com. Their Corvette protectors are great

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

Hello everyone!!
I do not have photos of this or why it does not match up with the whole. I think this to be a proto since the translite is. Can anyone help me with this?

It actually should line up:

P1030896 (resized).JPGP1030896 (resized).JPG

The bracket looks like this, don´t know if it´s available anywhere:

P1030859 (resized).JPGP1030859 (resized).JPGP1030860 (resized).JPGP1030860 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#141 7 years ago

I even polished them up and they look great

P1080292 (resized).JPGP1080292 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#149 7 years ago

I just openend a new topic about an Engine fix: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-engine-fixed#post-3556907

Just in case somebody needs it......

4 weeks later
#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Dunc:

Also, could anyone advise where these parts come from off the machine??

the rightmost one is used to hold the bumper switches and also for the slam tilt that sits left of the cashbox.
The leftmost piece I don´t remember from my recent restore.
The lower middle also looks like it´s from the slam tilt.
The top one is the holder for the playfield support arm.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from BigLebowski:

the rightmost one is used to hold the bumper switches and also for the slam tilt that sits left of the cashbox.
The leftmost piece I don´t remember from my recent restore.
The lower middle also looks like it´s from the slam tilt.
The top one is the holder for the playfield support arm.

The leftmost is from the lockbar receiver. I can post pics tomorrow if needed

1 month later
#174 7 years ago

I just finished restoring my Corvette and I have a question: is it normal that the pin does a LT-5 Initialization and a Racetrack test at every startup of the machine?

1 week later
#177 6 years ago

Thanks.

Another question: in Race Today mode sometimes the red car just stops at about a third of the way and doesn´t move any further. Makes it easy to win the race, but is that a known bug?

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Does he red light too?
Trying to remember if mine will won't advance when that happens or not. Definitely not a bug though.

What do you mean by "does he red light"?

I haven´t figured out yet, what the Christmas lights actually mean.....

1 week later
#183 6 years ago

Hi Rensh,
I just troubleshooted mine so I might be able to help if necessary.
Herbert

1 month later
#190 6 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I'm having a problem with bounce outs on the LT5. If the ball goes up the ramp clean, it hits the back diverter and rebounds back too quickly before the front diverter drops. Anyone have a solution or suggestion?
I'm also looking for a black lockdown bar, if anyone knows where I might find one.

I have that problem, too, but only very rarely. I also have the ball getting stuck under the front gate every once in a while so I have to give the pin a solid nudge until the ball falls into the lock. I think that front gate needs to be perfectly adjusted so that it can shut off the way back as quickly as possible. I´ll probably have to play with it a little more until it´s perfect.
Any experience with this is highly welcome.

5 months later
#209 6 years ago

Hi,
I have a little problem with my engine. When lock is enabled and I shoot a ball into the engine quite often it seems that the ball sneaks under the front gate before it can close and falls straight into the lock. This also happens on the third ball so that I don´t get a chance to rev the engine because the ball´s already gone. The engine works fine and the gates work fine in self test but it seems to me that they need a little more fine tuning.
Anybody any hints what I could try?
Herbert

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from chrismoore701:

If you look at that gate close. I noticed on mine that the wire form that flips the gate was hitting the post and restricted it. But i think the destruction was for the open motion. But something to look at

I noticed the same and removed that post. I couldn’t make any sense of it anyway.

2 months later
#233 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I joined the club recently. I traded straight up for a Mario I'd had for a while. I think we are both pretty happy.
There are a few switches out, and a few other things I will have to correct. I doubt the previous owner was aware of anything and I'm not very concerned. Might as well bounce a few questions off though.
1. My kickback switch isn't working. It wasn't working when I got the game, but clicked and registered when I pushed it below the level the ball would be able to. I saw that the tab the wire is welded to was bent, so I straightened it. That worked for a day and then the next day it stopped working again. It's a different geometry and part number from the other rollovers, and Marcos doesn't seem to carry them. Any ideas there?
2. My upper ramp is makeable, but it's pretty rare. After playing yesterday I popped up the playfield and noticed that the coils were all the same (blue) and that the main flippers were hardly warm after a few games, but the upper coil was a little toasty. Not hot, but not exactly comfortable to touch. They all ohm'd out the same, but the upper one does seem to have something odd going on. Any help there would be appreciated.
Those are the two major things. Mine is a re-import from Germany, so I'll have to get 3 mechs to replace the DM mechs that are in there now. That, switches, and seeing if the upper flipper is ok are all that it should need before it can go out on location. My players have been asking about it since they found out I got it. It's a very fun game and even without the kickback working I knocked off the old GC in a day of ownership.

1. Maybe it´s just a little adjustment of the switch? You can loosen the screws on the bracket and turn the switch so that it makes contact a little earlier. Otherwise just get a new "naked" switch and attach the old wireform to it.

2. It could be the EOS switch on that flipper coil that´s not opening when the flipper is activated. Check if that switch opens when the flipper bat is fully extended.

2 months later
#253 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks. Anyone specialize in repairing these game-specific boards?

It´s very hard to repair these boards outside of the machine because you need the input from the CPU and the response from the hall sensor in the engine for the boards to do anything. There´s a few helpful links to get you started but you will need to either remove the engine from the machine or do all your tests inside the pin. If you decide to remove the engine you´ll have to simulate the signals from the CPU, which is perfectly doable depending on your electronics skills.

If you explain a little better what you mean by "acting wacky" I might be able to come up with a few hints where to start, because I recently repaired mine and still know how it should be working.

Here are the links to get you an idea of the workings of the engine:
http://passionforpinball.com/lt5adjust.htm
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Corvette

1 week later
#257 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Here's what I know:
1) Motor fails self test: » YouTube video
2) Motor can move left and right and center itself, but it moves with a jerky/unstable motion.
3) Reading 2.4VDC to 2.6VDC from hall effect sensor (extreme left to extreme right) as measured at input on slave board.
4) Extreme left/right optos are working correctly.
5) When in attract mode, the coils on one of the sides sometimes will be energized (should always be disabled in attract mode)
6) When LT-5 is *disabled* in settings, coils still get energized (should be disabled) ... After I noticed this I unplugged the coils from the slave board to prevent them from getting burnt out (they were running extremely hot...hurt to touch and I started to smell a hot/burning plastic smell).
So at a minimum, the circuitry related to enable/disable state isn't working correctly. Perhaps this is contributing to the jerky motion. My understanding is that the master board itself handles this and actually sends the 20VDC (or is it 12VDC?) for driving the coils over the ribbon cable (but there's also a DAC on the slave board???). I.e., when disabled the master board should NOT be sending 20VDC over the ribbon cable. But perhaps I've misunderstood the documentation that's out there. I need to spend some time looking over the schematics and re-reading the doc that's out there so that I have a fuller understanding of what's going on.
I'm not necessarily measuring anything wrong with the sensors themselves, but I'm not sure what VDC range I should be reading from the hall effects sensor as measured at the header on the slave board.
As a first step I've ordered new ribbon cables (CPU -> master board and master board -> slave board) just to rule out any weird issues there. The master -> slave board ribbon cable was badly pinched at one time.

The voltages you´re measuring from the Hall sensor are in the range where they should be, so that´s good.
I´d start with the coils. The DISABLE signal is 5V coming from the master board on pins 18+20 of the ribbon cable. It´s actually generated on pin2 of the LS374 (U2), then inverted on U4 (ULN2803) and then passed on to the slave board. For the coils to become active the LS374 must send out a HIGH.
The ribbon cable is a good first stab. After that I´d look at Q1 and Q2 on the slave board. They should pull Q3 and Q4 low to disable the coils.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks for the insights/clarifications. The new ribbon cables are coming in today, so I should be able to drill in some more this weekend.
P.S. That's great detail you have there and well beyond what I've read elsewhere so far. Is this written down/formally documented anywhere?

No, unfortunately I never got around to do it in English. Parts of it are documented in a German pinball forum (in German).

1 week later
#265 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Ribbon cables came in. I accidentally ordered the wrong length ribbon cable for the CPU -> master connection, so I was only able to replace the master -> slave board ribbon cable.
The motor now will randomly pass self tests in a "sloppy" manner. Basically it gets wobbly/shaky as it rotates clockwise past the 90 degree position. I didn't get a chance to debug further yet.

I sent you a pm with the link.
The behaviour could be caused by the old ribbon cable, because the inputs for the DA converter are coming that way. Maybe one bit is missing or something.....
Another thing you should check is whether the coils in the assembly are wired correctly. It should look like this:
P1070754 (resized).JPGP1070754 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#273 5 years ago

May I turn you Corvette experts' attention to a little issue I have which is described in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-zr1-low-rev-gate-closes-delayed#post-4549896

1 month later
#281 5 years ago

Just an info for other Corvette owners who have the problem that the engine doesn´t always catch the ball before it drops into the lock. Make sure that your game code is on v2 or v2.1 (downloadable from the PPS website). The delay between the lower opto on the LT5 ramp and the lower rev gate was too long in v1 of the code. It was cut in half in v2 of the software and now the gate catches the ball in >90% on my machine. Some shots are still too fast but that is probably because I have a clearcoated repro playfield in my Corvette.

2 months later
#289 5 years ago

P1030816 (resized).JPGP1030816 (resized).JPGP1030876 (resized).JPGP1030876 (resized).JPG

does this help?

1 month later
#297 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Hello folks, picking up a really nice Corvette today and am pretty excited to get into this game. The only thing I really want to add is a ramp protector on the left side of the LT5 ramp as it has cracked. Anyone knows who sells just that one?

Mantis Amusements sells great ramp protectors for Corvette

10 months later
#336 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

For reference that spring part number is 10-194 and is the correct spring for the rear gate.
Now I’m further along in the restoration and unsure where these clear plastics and metal plate go. Anyone know?[quoted image]

The metal part goes here to the end of the racetrack:
P1060775 (resized).JPGP1060775 (resized).JPG

One of the triangular plastics goes here:
P1050272 (resized).JPGP1050272 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#354 4 years ago

no, there´s no default guard at the skid pad ramp

5 months later
#363 3 years ago

Recently somebody approached me re. the big metal piece in the Corvette backbox that resembles the outline of the US. The piece was missing from his machine, probably because a previous owner threw it out to avoid more damage to the translite. Anyway, he asked me if he could reproduce that piece on a 3D printer. So I did a scan of the piece and developed a 3D model of it, which is ready to be printed on a 3D printer.

In case somebody else has use for it just pm me with your email address and I can send you the model.

Corvette Backbox Metal Part (resized).JPGCorvette Backbox Metal Part (resized).JPG

8 months later
#423 3 years ago

maybe the init failure turned the engine off in the settings? There is a setting in the options to turn off a malfunctioning engine so you can keep playing.

2 years later
#575 7 months ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Nevermind it was a shorted transitor! Second question, how long does the ball bounce between the engine rubbers during Rev mode for y'all? Mine gets to maybe like 9 million or so before falling into the lock. Seems like in the PAPA video its in there forever.

when you hit the flippers fast enough you can get to appr. 50 million

1 month later
#579 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I have the 7-8 million score when I hit the flippers fast, the ball pretty much drops forward almost immediatly.
How do you get it to stay in the engine is my issue

Then either your engine doesn't move fast enough, the rubbers in the engine are worn out or maybe your machine is set at a too steep angle. A video might help to understand your issue better.

#581 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My machine is at 6.5 degrees and new titan rubbers throughout. How do you get the engine to move faster? Is that a setting?

No, unfortunately not. How far it moves to the left and the right is determined by a hall sensor and a little metal bracket on the engine assembly. You have to remove the complete assembly from the machine to get to it. When you run the Engine Test (T16) you'll get two numbers which kind of represent the difference between "leans fully to the left" and "leans fully to the right". There needs to be a certain minimum diff between those numbers otherwise the test fails completely.
There is more information about how the assembly works on pinwiki and on a page by Cliffy which is referencered there.
Normally it is no problem at all to keep the ball in the enigne. The shaking motion actually moves the ball "up" to the back of it instead of letting it fall out at the bottom.

1 week later
#586 5 months ago

these any help?

P1070749 (resized).JPGP1070749 (resized).JPGP1070750 (resized).JPGP1070750 (resized).JPGP1070757 (resized).JPGP1070757 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider biglebowski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corvette-club-members-only-but-pledges-allowed?tu=biglebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.