(Topic ID: 105451)

Corrosion-Affected Components: Replace or Salvage?

By UvulaBob

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by UvulaBob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have a Road Kings that's possibly affected by some minor corrosion - random lockups and freakouts. I plan on removing the affected components and scrubbing everything down with vinegar and such. But I'm wondering if components are usually salvageable up to a point, or if I should just replace everything. I ask because there are two or three PIAs that are affected, and those are kind of a pain to come by.

Here's the extent of the corrosion. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff, so I'd call this a 3 or 4 out of 10.

IMG_1897.JPGIMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1900.JPGIMG_1900.JPG

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

All the spots where there are black dots in the traces (

Huh. I never looked that closely at the board. You're saying all of those little black dots are corrosion? If so, then I'd need to sand the thing down to bare copper, neutralize it with vinegar and then cover it up with clean nail polish or that green trace cover-up stuff, right?

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Any board is salvageable, but not every board is *economically* salvageable.

This is true. Fortunately, this machine is owned by my work, so I have a bit of flexibility.

My options are to try to repair it myself, send it to someone to get it repaired or replace it completely. I'm comfortable replacing components myself, as I've done three or four System 6 bulletproofings. I've been quoted $165 + shipping (15 bucks both ways) by someone for repair, and he has a test bench that can (presumably) make sure everything's working fine before he sends it back. The third option is to buy a replacement board. Rottendog sells a system 11A replacement board that I believe can be used in a System 11 like Road Kings. That's 380 bucks, though.

If every little black spot on the board could be a corrosion time-bomb waiting to happen, I may want to send it to the guy who says that for 165 plus shipping, he can get it completely working - components and all.

#5 9 years ago

You also mentioned replacing the transistors to the right of the burned area with MOSFETs and replacing those resistors with jumper wires. I'm certainly down for that. The thing is, I think those are already MOSFETs. I recall replacing these, but I can't find the order on Marco or GPE. At any rate, the number on them is F9Z34N, which Google has all over the place as being a MOSFET part number.

If these are already MOSFETs, then I can just remove these resistors and replace them with jumper wires, right? What gauge should I use?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/corrosion-affected-components-replace-or-salvage?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.