Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0086 (resized).JPG
IMG_0144 (resized).JPG
IMG_0145 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I need to confirm which wires go to which terminal on the coil for the up kicker in a Shaq Attaq.
I have two wires: one has red/black stripes and the other has orange/black stripes.
In addition, I would like to know which page in the Shaq Attaq Instruction manual shows these two wires connected to the coil.

Thank you for any and all assistance.

IMG_0144 (resized).JPGIMG_0144 (resized).JPGIMG_0145 (resized).JPGIMG_0145 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Look for your coil in the "playboard schematic diagram". It will show both wires, and note their colors.

However, I don't see any diode on your coil. Are you sure that's right?

#3 3 years ago

I have not yet the replaced the blown diode.
I have attached a third photo (before I removed the blown diode) which shows the banded end of the diode connected to the terminal closest to the viewer, the left terminal.
So if I am reading the schematic correctly, page 56, the wire with the red & orange stripes (233) is connected to the right terminal, the terminal farthest from the viewer, while the wire with the red and black stripes (022) is connected to the left terminal, the one closest to the viewer, the one next to the banded end of the diode.
Am I correct?

IMG_0086 (resized).JPGIMG_0086 (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago

There is no specific terminal connections, all that matters is that he wire providing power to the coil is connected to the same terminal leg as the striped side of the diode.

#5 3 years ago

So how do I tell which wire is providing power to the coil?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigguy66:

I have two wires: one has red/black stripes and the other has orange/black stripes.

Quoted from Bigguy66:

So how do I tell which wire is providing power to the coil?

I would say yes; If in doubt, you can always measure the continuity of the disconnected wire back to its fuse, in this case F24.

According to your manual (page 56) the wire powering the coil should be BLK/RED - Red stripped wire as the diagram show it to be color code 022 as this wire is connected to the same coil leg as the stripped side of the diode. The other side of the coil is connected wire color code 233 which correlates to a Red/ORG - Orange stripped wire. The color table for this is on page 24.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 3 years ago

Thanks so much Pin_Guy for your very helpful explanation of the wiring for the coil. Spot on! I really do appreciate your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-wiring-for-up-kicker-soleniod-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.