4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HeatSync (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Referring to a floating heat-sync in a Who Dunnit; Is it proper to use CPU paste, (Arctic Silver) for re-assembly?
Perhaps something is better suited? Do's and Don'ts are welcomed too.

HeatSync (resized).jpgHeatSync (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Referring to a floating heat-sync in a Who Dunnit; Is it proper to use CPU paste, (Arctic Silver) for re-assembly?
Perhaps something is better suited? Do's and Don'ts are welcomed too.[quoted image]

Any heatsink compound is fine. Arctic silver is going to be way better than what the factory put on there. You'll need to clean the old compound off completely before putting on the new arctic silver. Arctic silver also makes a cleaner to remove old compound. It's what i've used when i wanted to remove old compound.

Just remember that Arctic silver compound is conductive so be extra careful not to get it anywhere and don't use too much to where it's spurting out the sides. You only need a very very thin layer.

#3 4 years ago

Put a bead or two about the size of a grain of rice where the flat faces mate together.

Once you mate them don't lift them apart again. It creates voids/air bubbles and slows down the heat transfer. If you have to take them apart to re-position them, clean off and start over.

I don't think those generate enough heat that you need to be really picky about it.

#4 4 years ago

Always make sure to clean the old junk off before applying new compound.

#5 4 years ago

Great, I have the Prep and Compound remaining from PC projects. I feel better thinking it will out-perform the factory material. Very cool, thanks very much.

#6 4 years ago

Best procedure is to use heat sink compound and tighten bridge to the heat sink before you solder, so that there is no unnecessary stress on the legs/solder/traces.

Don C.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Referring to a floating heat-sync in a Who Dunnit

Not sure what you mean by a "floating heat-synk" this heat sink should be secured with screws from the bottom side of the power board. It should not be possible to move this heat sink into the position shown in your picture without removing the power board and loosing the mounting screws.

As for your thermal grease, you can use anything you have lying around, just don't use thermal conductive epoxy

BEST PRACTICE: Since this heat sink is used for two components, its best to have the heat sink secured to BOTH parts BEFORE they are soldered to the board...this is the only way to ensure a proper component to heat sink mating.

#8 4 years ago

Excellent. I'll remove the parts before securing the heat sync. Thank you.

The cabinet arrived with the heat sync just floatin' around in there (detached). I'm checking everything before applying power.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 37.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-or-best-procedure-for-re-mounting-heat-sync?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.