Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15B8FCF4-99E6-4E57-B114-5C6A96F8CED2 (resized).jpeg
CC822305-DD03-4624-B54C-C2E6F029ACEA (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

My recently purchased FirePower II had weak flippers. Since it was new to me I decided to replace the entire flipper stack, coil, cabinet switches, the works. The switches were very worn, etc.

I ordered the coils for the flippers that http://www.marcospecialties.com recommended ( SFL-19-400/30-750 ) which matched what the Williams Operator's Manual stated for FP2 on Page 20 of Table 4 (Solenoid Connection).

I installed the coils, switches, the works. No issues, all worked well for a while ... except the flipper seemed TOO powerful now. Before I replaced them the ball would never be able to go all of the way up the ramp, and afterwards it was easily doing so, plus bouncing around the table at times. Then one of my targets got busted. A tell tale sign of too strong of flippers ...

Long story short - the lane switch plastic separator eventually melted and I ended up reviewing all of the parts and noticed the label under the playfield surface stated to use 50 volt coils for the flippers. Yes, I should have noticed it before when I took a lot of pictures before doing any of the work.

The FP2 Ops Manual coils (SFL-19-400/30-750-DC) that I received from Marco were 28 volts instead of 50. I then wondered if this was the cause of the issues with the melting plastic and too strong of flipper action?

The flipper coils that came with my FP2 were 50 volt, part # FL-24-600/30-2600.

So now I'm left wondering and confused ... What ARE the correct flipper coils to use on FirePower II?

I know they should be 50 volt, but does anyone know what the other specs should be? Or recommendations on what I should use instead, if not what was originally installed when I first got it?

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this one. Thanks, all!

#2 7 years ago

I heard from Brad Read on the "Pinball Repair help group!!" on FaceBook: "Flippers on my fpii are the Williams blue coils. FL23/600 30/2600 [50V]".

I'm curious what other FPII owners out there have for their flipper coils?

2 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

HI, I checked mine...

Left coil : FL23/600 30/2600 50V
Right : FL23/600 30/2200 50V

Figures I have two different sizes, never noticed. They both play well. The right flipper can make the ramp shot if you hit it clean and makes the orbit shot just fine... this coil has less turns (2200) which I believe translates to more power, maybe this was substituted for that purpose. The flippers are snappy for sure, but have never broken any targets with them. I did put plastic protector washers on the slingshot plastics and by the ball lock plastic as it took me over a year to find a nice replacement set for my cracked ones so I am trying to keep these safe. I put padded Firepower (1) stickers on the targets and that may be a good idea for yours, they look great and I recommend them highly.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/FirePowerTargetDecalsPage.html

1 month later
#4 7 years ago

My Firepower II came with a few pages called "Manual Amendment". One addresses the incorrect numbers in the original manual for the flipper coils. It says:

PURPOSE: To correct Table 4 on p. 20 and Unique Parts List on page 45.
CHANGE: Flipper part numbers
FLIPPER COIL. Firepower II pinball uses 50-volt flipper coils.
Please correct your solenoid chart (Table 4) on page 20 of the
FIREPOWER II service manual to show part number FL23/600 30/2200 50V
for both flipper coils.

The number now shown in the book must NEVER be substituted for the
new 50-volt flipper coil, or game damage may result.

NEW ASSEMBLY NUMBERS. WILLIAMS has also updated the flipper
assembly numbers. Please correct your book on page 45: The left
flipper assembly should be C-9953-L, and the right flipper assembly
should be C-9652-R.

I hope this helps! There is another amendment that addresses some changes on page 10 Game Operation and Table 2. Game Adjustments. Basically it adds functions 36 and 37 which deal with extra ball difficulty and the bell ringing for bonus holdover (or not). I can type it in verbatim if anyone wants it.

I am a newbie to this forum. I have been fixing up an old Firepower II, and like most others am looking for parts. In particular (besides a fully restored playfield!) I would like one of the upper pop bumper plastic tops. I also just finished changing all the bulbs out to leds from cointaker. It looks SO MUCH nicer. I used red bulbs under the red inserts, green under the green, etc. As a change, I put blue leds under the 50-100-150 inserts below the ball release target and the 10,000-20,000-50,000 inserts below the ball lock. It really adds a nice touch.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from aborup:

There is another amendment that addresses some changes on page 10 Game Operation and Table 2. Game Adjustments. Basically it adds functions 36 and 37 which deal with extra ball difficulty and the bell ringing for bonus holdover (or not). I can type it in verbatim if anyone wants it. I can type it in verbatim if anyone wants it.

Welcome, thanks for the flipper coil info and yes please to the other amendment! If you can scan or take photos of the amendments you have and attach them as images, I'm sure many would appreciate it.
Have fun with your game

1 year later
#6 6 years ago

My game has a sticker on the playfield that states to use FL23/600 30/2600 50v - no mention of 2200. So not sure what’s correct after reading that service bulletin. This game was a German export.

CC822305-DD03-4624-B54C-C2E6F029ACEA (resized).jpegCC822305-DD03-4624-B54C-C2E6F029ACEA (resized).jpeg

15B8FCF4-99E6-4E57-B114-5C6A96F8CED2 (resized).jpeg15B8FCF4-99E6-4E57-B114-5C6A96F8CED2 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#7 6 years ago

Would've been nice if he had posted that addendum...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-firepower-ii-flipper-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.