(Topic ID: 86873)

correct color for center part of sun on gb el dorado backglass?

By manitouguy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1439[1].JPG
20140415_185842.jpg
#1 10 years ago

hi all, the other day i posted a pic of my strangeworld alongside my el dorado

another of our em pin members here messaged me asking what color the sun actually was in my el dorado as the pic made it look red ??

i told him i had just put in a shay repro (beautiful by the way!! - glass a bit wider and a bit thicker fyi) but that i had the real nice original so i would take a look and compare

he stated that he was used to seeing the center part of the sun more of a lighter color 'white'??

original although faded a bit seems to have a slightly darker red orange center to the sun than the surrounding sun flames / rays

the shay repro has a darker orange reddish center ... which i assume is correct as the rest of the colors are beautifully spot on to my original too??

might there have been variations, or are most simply really faded at sun center as there was a bulb direclty behind?

opinions and comments please by others who have original backglasses or have seen ??

regards, Ron

#3 10 years ago

Here are some thoughts on this. The colour differences could be caused by a few variables. Faded backglass. Flaking paint on the backglass, especially at that point. Photo image variables. Finally the difference between light sources, LED or incandescent.

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

20140415_185842.jpg20140415_185842.jpg here's one orange red

#5 10 years ago

Were does one purchase a Shay repro? How much? Is there a Gold Strike version?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from davidkam:

Were does one purchase a Shay repro? How much? Is there a Gold Strike version?

Here: http://shayarcadegroup.com/index.html

#7 10 years ago

they don't come cheap - but being a perfectionist - and on the right game i just can't resist

in my opinion the colors and art look near identical to the originals as one could get

shay's glass is just slightly wider i find and so i have had to take off the little plastic triangular backglass stop in a few of my games to fit it in (i think his glass is also a bit thicker)

fantastic work and a service i am happy is available, as i am with Ron Webb's backglasses too - really beautiful stuff in my opinion

#8 10 years ago

Thanks. I'm very intrigued. How do they compare to originals? They look great from what I can tell.

#9 10 years ago

in my opinion they are nearly identical to the originals in all aspects

very very nice quality

maybe later i will post my original el dorado glass as a side by side with the shay one

#10 10 years ago

Does he treat the back of the glass with a varnish for durability?

#11 10 years ago

i don't think so, but am not sure

back appears just like the originals with the silver block out paint .. i think!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

in my opinion they are nearly identical to the originals in all aspects
very very nice quality
maybe later i will post my original el dorado glass as a side by side with the shay one

They are true to original for sure.

I don't know who is reproducing the bg's now. A lady whose name is Marti has done most all bg's reproduced for years and very sadly passed away a few months ago at a young age. She was a super nice lady. When I was getting Pleasure Isle bg's made we spoke a lot by phone and she explained the whole process....amazing! Her process of making them was done as originally made. Her brother did the screening and she did the artwork/colors...no computers used. She sent me a picture of her room w/all the bg's she had done...incredible. Unfortunately I had a computer crash and no longer have it. She did most all if not all Gottlieb glasses and others.

RIP Marti.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

i don't think so, but am not sure
back appears just like the originals with the silver block out paint .. i think!

Bg's have no 'clear' or varnish. She (Marti) strongly suggested not to put anything on them like Triple Thick etc.....no need to.

#14 10 years ago

Here is my original glass.
100_1439[1].JPG100_1439[1].JPG
The center circle of the sun is definitely a darker red than the surrounding rays (orange). Looking very closely at the center circle itself, there appears to be a darker red ring around it. My guess is that this is where the two screens overlap (no black line to cover bad registration).

Gottlieb glasses are notorious for fading reds. Which would explain the "white" sun mentioned before.

#15 10 years ago

interesting info, thanks cash

cactus, yes my original backglass was the same at the sun - subtle difference from sun center to adj edges

cheers, Ron

#16 10 years ago

Sure thing manitouguy. Enjoy your games and the hobby!

#17 10 years ago

I've had four of these El Dorado's and here's the worst places in order for lifting paint on the ones I've had.

Center of the sun (red-orange)
El Dorado letters (red)
Gun (brown)
Guy's jacket (reddish-brown)

#18 10 years ago

hoov, i see the gun flaking alot

and of course the reds

i still have my original el dorado glass - it is really really nice too - a bit of flake in the rifle and saddle and a tiny bit at the yellow near matches and a bit of purple fade near the infamous credit wheel

someone triple thicked it back in the day ...

not sure what i should do with it now that i have the repro!!!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

hoov, i see the gun flaking alot
and of course the reds
i still have my original el dorado glass - it is really really nice too - a bit of flake in the rifle and saddle and a tiny bit at the yellow near matches and a bit of purple fade near the infamous credit wheel
someone triple thicked it back in the day ...
not sure what i should do with it now that i have the repro!!!

I have the same problem as you - I have kept my best one and it has a spec in the sun gone and a little in the red letters. I have TT'd it and touched up and it looks decent. I'm getting a repro from Shay when they're done in June or so. I'm hanging on to this glass in case I get another El Dorado some day. Someone would buy yours if you ship or take it to a show to sell. Some people like the wall art too....

#20 10 years ago

didn't know Shay was temporarily out .. now you mention it when i ordered mine a month or so back he did say it was his last for now

#21 10 years ago

Sorry, I got Shay's last El D glass he had in stock at the time a few months back.

CJ - that's a spectacular original glass!

Cash - can you elaborate on the process folks are using to reproduce these glasses like Shay and Ron do? For repros, I much prefer the faithful screen printed ones over the other methods (when a nice original isn't available). But I'm curious what the barriers to entry are (other than licensing). Just how are they done? (I've got a Bally Skill Roll that could use a better glass, and it seems a simple enough design to try sometime.) Are Shay and Ron both using the same printer?

(Maybe better in a separate thread, sorry!)

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Here is my original glass.

Agree with dirt - that's a nice original glass you have there CJ - tough to find.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Agree with dirt - that's a nice original glass you have there CJ - tough to find.

Thanks. Not in the picture is a small square of fade from the foam block near the credit wheel.

To my knowledge, both Shay and Webb are using traditional Silk screening techniques to repro all their glasses.

The Barriers are the time consuming process of taking the original art, and converting it into films that can be used to expose the silk screens. The old Technique, which as was indicated, was used by Marti for most of the Gott. glasses made was to hand cut Rubylith films. Another process, which is typically what CPR uses is to take a digital scan, and do color separations on computer, then output files that can be used to produce the Silk Screens. So, although done digitally, the final process is still the traditional silk screening.

I was one time told that it took Marti an average of 100 hours to hand cut the films. Her work was second to no-ones!

I am not sure what Webb and Shay are doing now that Marti is gone. As long as the past films are preserved, they are re-used for future runs of glasses. Many of the glasses that are remade today, date back to the films that Marti made for Herb Silvers of Fabulous Fantasies.

#24 10 years ago

Cash - can you elaborate on the process folks are using to reproduce these glasses like Shay and Ron do? For repros, I much prefer the faithful screen printed ones over the other methods (when a nice original isn't available). But I'm curious what the barriers to entry are (other than licensing). Just how are they done? (I've got a Bally Skill Roll that could use a better glass, and it seems a simple enough design to try sometime.) Are Shay and Ron both using the same printer?

(Maybe better in a separate thread, sorry!)

Dirt...just saw this/your post. CactusJack pretty much answered your question to me. It is a LOT of work as CJ wrote. I wish I had all the info. Marti told me about the process on tape or video...it amazed me. I think a lot of people think Shay or Ron do the artwork, but they are just 'licensed' distributors.....which is also a lot of work and thanks to them both! I was approved to be licensed by Gottlieb through Steve Young and Mondial Corp., but suggested better to go thru an already licensed distributor because of Ins. costs/liability. The insurance quotes I got were very high. I never thought about if somebody cuts themselves on a bg I could be sued....never- ever though about that! Shay agreed to license/produce Pleasure Isle so thanks to all involved it was done.

Hope that answers your question. : )

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Thanks. Not in the picture is a small square of fade from the foam block near the credit wheel.
To my knowledge, both Shay and Webb are using traditional Silk screening techniques to repro all their glasses.
The Barriers are the time consuming process of taking the original art, and converting it into films that can be used to expose the silk screens. The old Technique, which as was indicated, was used by Marti for most of the Gott. glasses made was to hand cut Rubylith films. Another process, which is typically what CPR uses is to take a digital scan, and do color separations on computer, then output files that can be used to produce the Silk Screens. So, although done digitally, the final process is still the traditional silk screening.
I was one time told that it took Marti an average of 100 hours to hand cut the films. Her work was second to no-ones!
I am not sure what Webb and Shay are doing now that Marti is gone. As long as the past films are preserved, they are re-used for future runs of glasses. Many of the glasses that are remade today, date back to the films that Marti made for Herb Silvers of Fabulous Fantasies.

Really interesting CJ - thanks for sharing.......

#26 10 years ago

yes, good info - thanks!

Seems like Ron and Shay are producing new glasses too though (among some re-runs), so who's cutting Rubylith film now?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-color-for-center-part-of-sun-on-gb-el-dorado-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.