Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
CV-with-williams-type-coin-door.jpg
CV-with-stern-type-coin-door.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I realize that at first you might think this a strange question with an obvious answer, and while I hope that is the case, I'm not sure it is...

I recently picked up an all original Cirqus Voltaire in excellent condition from St. Petersburg, FL. The guy I bought it from told me that they were the first owners of the game, and that it was the floor demo model at the factory. Given that I found a couple Brady Distributing business cards. in the game, I assume it was the floor demo at the distributor (not the Williams factory)

Other than a mechanical game counter installed on the base behind the left of the coin door (reading 18,000 plays), it was bone stock.

After about a month of looking at the cabinet while positioned along with the rest of my pins (a mixture of Stern and Bally/Williams), I noticed that the coin door on the CV was the Stern type -- NOT the Williams type.

By Stern type, I mean it has the more rounded corners, whereas the Williams coin doors are more squared off.

I began thinking that the coin door was changed out at some time. Maybe the original door was chipped or banged up and a spare door was simply grabbed off a shelf with no attention paid to the type of door used.

There was absolutely no damage under where the Williams type door would have covered in the corners. And why replace a coin door on an otherwise perfect cabinet? There are no nicks or scratches.

I went to ipdb.org to look at reference photos. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4059
The flyer photo shows what I believe would be the correct Williams type coin door.
However, the pictures that Allen Shope posted http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4059&picno=7897 shows a unit with the same Stern type coin door I have on mine.

My buddy picked up a CV in central Florida as well (during same trip we were on), and his was built as a German export. We doubt it ever crossed the pond because it was also pristine and in the same home for the last 12+ years. His had the triple coin door -- also with Stern type coin door.

Looking at the restorations Chris Hutchins has done, both pins in his gallery have the Williams type coin door.

Can anyone offer some advice on whether the CV pins received both types of coin doors? If so, was there a running production change? Was the one supplier out of stock and a different part substituted for a period of time?

It's cheap enough to buy a new Williams style coin door for my CV, but do I need to?

-Brian

CV-with-stern-type-coin-door.jpgCV-with-stern-type-coin-door.jpg CV-with-williams-type-coin-door.jpgCV-with-williams-type-coin-door.jpg

#2 11 years ago

while I don't own a CV, I can tell your first photo shows a system with the style coin doors that bally/williams used during that time period (which stern also happens to use today).

the main reasons why anybody that restores machines and uses the newer more squared off coin doors for two reasons; 1) those are the only ones available for purchase from all of the big mail order shops and 2) more importantly, some of the decal sets have a white border around the coin door hole which necessitates the use of the newer, more squared off coin doors to hide what would ultimately show up as small white edges peaking out.

using the original, wider radius older style coin doors on a restored cabinet would not hide the white frame completely (see photos of my creech below)

original cabinet w/ original decals sans coindoor
IMG_1374.JPGIMG_1374.JPG

new "doug huse" cabinet w/ phoenix arcade v-glo decals
IMG_1375.JPGIMG_1375.JPG

#3 11 years ago

The top door is original and 'correct' for a domestic CV, based on many I've looked at.

#4 11 years ago

And CFTBL is the only game I'm aware of that has that white border issue.

However, not all domestic CFTBLs shipped with rounded doors - non-DBV (dollar bill validator) games shipped with the squared off 2 slot door made by Entropy that was used on earlier games like TAF and FH.

There are lots of combinations that came out of the factory for different applications. You can usually trace down what door a game shipped with based on the serial # label and a bit of research.

I leave export doors on my export games - but I restore them first

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The top door is original and 'correct' for a domestic CV, based on many I've looked at.

Really ?

#6 11 years ago

I received an email reply from Chris Hutchins:

"I have seen both from the factory so either is correct. Not sure on the specifics for the variations but I would imagine it is just typical factory/inventory stuff. My preference on later B/W games is always the more traditional Williams square style doors with TZ being the lone exception because the majority of those as well as the flyer are the rounded Happ door."

I was worried that the door had been swapped out, but surprised to learn that both door types are correct for CV. At least I have piece of mind that the CV I picked up is, in fact, all original.

Thank you everyone for your input.
-Brian

#7 11 years ago

Both were used on CV. Also often used on certain others, including widebody games like IJ, STTNG, TZ.

But your CV is still not all original, unless you've got 15 year old bulbs and dried rubbers in there

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 11 years ago

Widebody games like DM and JD have different doors then the regular square ones also ..

#9 11 years ago

FYI, I bought my CV with the more rounded door (the one with the red coin reject inserts), not the typical squared WMS/Bally door that you referenced in your second picture.

Chris

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from CFoote:

FYI, I bought my CV with the more rounded door (the one with the red coin reject inserts), not the typical squared WMS/Bally door that you referenced in your second picture.
Chris

I know someone who has a HUO TZ that he originally bought brand new, and it has the rounded red inserts coin door.

#11 11 years ago

My CV has the original coin door, and it's the type with the more rounded corners as shown in your top pic. I prefer the door with the square corners, and am thinking about swapping it out someday.

#12 11 years ago

That is def not the correct coin door, mine has the correct one I think we should trade I live close by (complete games not just coindoor)

Adam

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Both were used on CV. Also often used on certain others, including widebody games like IJ, STTNG, TZ.
But your CV is still not all original, unless you've got 15 year old bulbs and dried rubbers in there

As Chris Hutchins mentioned, the TZ title typically got the Happ coin door (more rounded corners, aka Stern style).

On the topic of originality, yeah, I had to replace the rubbers. The rubbers on the pin when I acquired it were so old they mushroomed, melted and/or and disintegrated. The bulbs were all original. In fact, those in the backbox were still working but so blackened, I'm surprise the light actually emitted light. And the original orange cannon ball was so covered in dirt it looked brown -- but nothing that some patience, microfiber cloth and half a bottle of Novus 2 couldn't cure though...

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

That is def not the correct coin door, mine has the correct one I think we should trade I live close by (complete games not just coindoor)
Adam

Adam,
You're always welcome to stop by. Hopefully in a month I'll be hosting a FLIPS event and you'll be able to make it.
-Brian

#15 11 years ago

I've also seen factory TZ's with the two and three slot versions of the door that has the three vertical embossed rectangles. Mine has the three slot(export), but domestic ones I've seen have the two slot.

Much like most manufacturers who are producing at higher levels than they are used to or expected, B/W probably just used whoever could get them the parts they needed when they needed them, regardless of adhering to a single style or format. The issue of sourcing parts for the line takes precedence over part "looks" when you're running at really high capacity. As long as it worked, that's probably all they cared about.

A true restoration student could go so far as to find a few examples of different factory installed doors and check the end of the playfield and inside of the doors for production date stamps, find out where in the line the doors were installed, and extrapolate when a certain series of doors were installed. Then, they could make a chart of what doors correspond to which dates and when they restore theirs, they'd know what was correct for that time frame.

It's the same kind of system we in the classic car world use to make sure our cars are assembly line correct. Otherwise, you get things like rectangular, color-keyed side marker reflectors in a pre-February 15th, 1968 '68 Mustang. That's just madness!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
1,234 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-coin-door-for-cirqus-voltaire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.