DSC01664 (resized).JPG
DSC01663 (resized).JPG
DSC01662 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2021-01-25 152746 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-25 151728 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210125_164952036 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201105_231030216 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am getting ready to start working on a Sinbad machine. During my first inspection I noticed the chime has been replaced by a sound board.
PXL_20201105_231030216 (resized).jpgPXL_20201105_231030216 (resized).jpg

This isn't the standard System 1 sound board.
Screenshot 2021-01-25 152746 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2021-01-25 152746 (resized).jpg

Any ideas what the sound board is?

I also purchased this chime unit and was told it was pulled out of a Sinbad.
PXL_20210125_164952036 (resized).jpgPXL_20210125_164952036 (resized).jpg

But this doesn't match the 1982 Gottlieb Parts Manual.
Screenshot 2021-01-25 151728 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2021-01-25 151728 (resized).jpg

Any idea where this chime unit came from?

#2 3 years ago

Chime unit looks like a Williams to me.

#3 3 years ago

Sinbad would have originally shipped from the factory with an electro-mechanical chime unit, B-12023, as you show from the GTB catalog. As Billc479 says, the other chime unit you show is for a Williams EM game.

Slightly later System 1 games had a very rudimentary sound board that used three 555 timer ICs to make three tones, simulating the B-12023 chime unit. This sound board was a direct replacement for the B-12023 chime unit, and was attached to the exact same wires that were designed to drive the physical chime unit.

Still later, a more sophisticated sound board was used (the picture of which you show in your original post) that could make a variety of interesting electronic sounds. Ironically, the processor on this sound board was more powerful than the rudimentary CPU that drove the game logic. The first game I remember us having with this sound board was Genie, but there may have been an earlier System 1 game that used the board. However, I believe Sinbad was too early of a game to ever have had this board installed by the factory.

The board in your game is probably an after-market sound unit that could be installed in early solid-state games to help "modernize" them. A few different third-party companies made these boards for operators, most notably the Wico Corporation. We had a few of the Wico boards on our location games, but I don't recognize the board in your game, so I don't know where it came from.

In any event, if you want your Sinbad to have 100% factory original sound, you will need a B-12023 chime unit for it.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

If you can't find an original chime unit, you can get a new aftermarket one from here:

https://www.chimeunit.com/chime-units/gottlieb-compatible-chime-unit

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you can't find an original chime unit, you can get a new aftermarket one from here:
https://www.chimeunit.com/chime-units/gottlieb-compatible-chime-unit

Wow! 129.00€ plus 52 to 70€ for shipping. I hope I will be able to find an old Gottlieb chime unit for $219 USD.

I also wonder how it sounds. From their photos, it doesn't look like it has a tone box.

#6 3 years ago

here's mine , in my Sinbad

DSC01662 (resized).JPGDSC01662 (resized).JPGDSC01663 (resized).JPGDSC01663 (resized).JPGDSC01664 (resized).JPGDSC01664 (resized).JPG
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

here's mine , in my Sinbad
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is what I was expecting. Now the task of finding one for sale!

#8 3 years ago

you are gonna pay 150 us plus for one used , so that euro one isn't bad and its brand new

#9 3 years ago

I will look tomorrow, I believe I have a few extra units. In case you don't know, Steve Young at "The Pinball Resource" sells a rebuilding kit for these units.
Also for future reference, The first 3 System One's came with the chime box: Cleopatra, Sinbad and Joker Poker. All of the rest of the System One's didn't but they are all downward compatible to have the chime box installed. Chime box VS Sound card: Chime box for the win every time.

#10 3 years ago

Looking at the 1978 Gottlieb Parts Catalog, the chime unit used in Cleopatra, Sinbad and Joker Poker is the same chime unit used in Gottlieb EM units. Any idea which was the first Gottlieb EM to use the B-12023 chime unit?

#11 3 years ago

Read the above post from the one you just posted. I can probably help you out.

#12 3 years ago

place a wanted ad

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Looking at the 1978 Gottlieb Parts Catalog, the chime unit used in Cleopatra, Sinbad and Joker Poker is the same chime unit used in Gottlieb EM units. Any idea which was the first Gottlieb EM to use the B-12023 chime unit?

First chime box for Gottlieb was: 1970 "Aquarius"
I'm 99% sure on this.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Different coils though and they will have diodes on them.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

place a wanted ad

Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait to see what gjm has to offer.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Different coils though and they will have diodes on them.

The 1982 Gottlieb Parts Catalog missed that detail. It only shows A5195 coils. Pinball Resources website notes the coils may either be A5195 or A17876 and to check machine manual. Looks like A5195 is for EM machines and A17876 is for System 1 machines with chimes (Cleopatra, Sinbad and Joker Poker). I will need to hand write a note in the catalog.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

The 1982 Gottlieb Parts Catalog missed that detail. It only shows A5195 coils. Pinball Resources website notes the coils may either be A5195 or A17876 and to check machine manual. Looks like A5195 is for EM machines and A17876 is for System 1 machines with chimes (Cleopatra, Sinbad and Joker Poker). I will need to hand write a note in the catalog.

They are not interchangeable even with the diodes removed. The A5195 have a resistance of about 11 ohms. The A17876 resistance is about 23 ohms. Has to be higher because the System 1 game is DC so you need a higher resistance coil. If you put an A5195 with a diode in a S1 game it will at a minimum probably break the plastic off the plunger. Putting the A17876 in an EM without the diodes will result in a weak chime.

#18 3 years ago

It looks like the chime unit you were sent is from a Sonic (Segasa) brand machine. It's a metric clone of a Williams unit.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

They are not interchangeable even with the diodes removed. The A5195 have a resistance of about 11 ohms. The A17876 resistance is about 23 ohms. Has to be higher because the System 1 game is DC so you need a higher resistance coil. If you put an A5195 with a diode in a S1 game it will at a minimum probably break the plastic off the plunger. Putting the A17876 in an EM without the diodes will result in a weak chime.

I agree. These coils are not interchangeable. Too big a difference in the resistance. I don't think Pinball Resources was suggesting there is a choice of which coil to use. I think they are noting, depending on the machine, the chime unit will "either be A5195 or A17876" and to consult the manual.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

It looks like the chime unit you were sent is from a Sonic (Segasa) brand machine. It's a metric clone of a Williams unit.

Makes sense. The coils are marked Segasa. I have never come across that brand before.

The sound that comes out of it is much nicer than the Bally or Gottlieb chimes. I am thinking it is because the chimes are thicker at 0.155" instead of 0.125".

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Makes sense. The coils are marked Segasa. I have never come across that brand before.
The sound that comes out of it is much nicer than the Bally or Gottlieb chimes. I am thinking it is because the chimes are thicker at 0.155" instead of 0.125".

Wow, that's hard to believe because Williams chimes are the suck. They used a different sound box and a different mount system for the bars (which is what you have there) and they ended up being the worst, clanky things you ever heard. People say, well, they sound great rebuilt. I've rebuilt a bunch of them and they don't even compare to a Bally or a Gottlieb set. No matter what, they clank. Bally's are pretty good but Gottlieb is at the head of the class without question, but in quality and tonality of the unit. I can't see what kind of sound box they used there but if it's the same as Williams you got lucky that they sound good.

Williams was so bad I paid to buy a Gottlieb chime unit and installed it in my Grand Prix because the game sounded so awful.

You can really put anything in there, as long as the coils are the right resistance. Bally mounts to the cab a big differently but really as long as they are secured well to the cab, you can use any of them.

#23 3 years ago

I have already communicated with JT Amusements. Shipping to Canada gets fairly pricey.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Wow, that's hard to believe because Williams chimes are the suck. They used a different sound box and a different mount system for the bars (which is what you have there) and they ended up being the worst, clanky things you ever heard. People say, well, they sound great rebuilt. I've rebuilt a bunch of them and they don't even compare to a Bally or a Gottlieb set. No matter what, they clank. Bally's are pretty good but Gottlieb is at the head of the class without question, but in quality and tonality of the unit. I can't see what kind of sound box they used there but if it's the same as Williams you got lucky that they sound good.
Williams was so bad I paid to buy a Gottlieb chime unit and installed it in my Grand Prix because the game sounded so awful.
You can really put anything in there, as long as the coils are the right resistance. Bally mounts to the cab a big differently but really as long as they are secured well to the cab, you can use any of them.

I set up what I figured was a fair demonstration. The first chime is a Bally out of my Old Chicago and the second is the Segusa. I struck each chime with the plastic handle of a pick.Then I repeated.
Which do you think sounds better?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HW258QxTBgn2wexE6

#25 3 years ago

i have this but not solenoids or chime plates

DSC01698 (resized).JPGDSC01698 (resized).JPG
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

I set up what I figured was a fair demonstration. The first chime is a Bally out of my Old Chicago and the second is the Segusa. I struck each chime with the plastic handle of a pick.Then I repeated.
Which do you think sounds better?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HW258QxTBgn2wexE6

Pretty amazing. Never had a Williams sound anywhere near that good.

1 month later
#27 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

...The board in your game is probably an after-market sound unit that could be installed in early solid-state games to help "modernize" them. A few different third-party companies made these boards for operators...
- TimMe

I figured out the sound board is from a company called PinTone from Canada. Please contact me if you have any documentaion for the board.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

I figured out the sound board is from a company called PinTone from Canada. Please contact me if you have any documentaion for the board.

I have a Close Encounters EM that came with the same electronic sound card. I replaced it with a Gottlieb chime unit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-chime-for-sinbad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.