• Latest reply 1 year ago by Pbpins
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Creature Bulb 1156 (resized).jpg
#1 10 years ago

Went to play creature today and no bulb. Need to troubleshoot and see if its bulb or something else. If I have to buy a new bulb what is the best led to put in there?

Thanks
Mike

#2 10 years ago

Our creature is a bit blue. I've been wanting to try a green 89 flasher LED in there to see if it slimes him up a bit.

#3 10 years ago

There is a 20w halogen light on pinbits.com. It's a bright white light, so I think it makes the hologram look more blue than with the stock light.

#4 10 years ago

I tried an led and it wasnt bright enough... Was a green 15 smd led automotive bulb. I actually wired it up to the regular bulb so there are 2. Works ok but the green gets washed out by the other bulb so it only adds a little green to the holo. I doubt any led would be enough as these holograms really need bright light and the projector design isnt good for leds. I always wanted to try a green gel sheet over the holo itself to see how that would look. Haven't tried the green mirrors that are available, that may work too.

#5 10 years ago

Everything you want to know is found here:

http://www.iobium.com/creature_lamp_upgrade_kit.htm

You can buy the kit at Pinbits.com

#6 10 years ago

Thanks NM. For test purposes before I upgrade what is the correct bulb? an auto bulb? part # would be awesome.

#7 10 years ago

1156 car tail light bulb if I rember correctly. Anybody else know if this is the correct bulb number?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from ranchdrsn:

I tried an led and it wasnt bright enough... Was a green 15 smd led automotive bulb. I actually wired it up to the regular bulb so there are 2. Works ok but the green gets washed out by the other bulb so it only adds a little green to the holo. I doubt any led would be enough as these holograms really need bright light and the projector design isnt good for leds. I always wanted to try a green gel sheet over the holo itself to see how that would look. Haven't tried the green mirrors that are available, that may work too.

The Creature hologram works by refracting the green light from the lamp into the 3D image. As the hologram ages, the pitch of the film changes, and the hologram refracts blue light instead. So a green light can't help a bad hologram. All you can do is use a nice bright light and hope that the blue stays with you.

A green light or mirror helps by reducing the amount of non-green light that gets to the hologram. It can make a good hologram look sharper, or take the edge off of a slightly blue hologram. However, if the hologram is much blue - all you get is black.

Your best bet is still the halogen bulb.

#9 10 years ago

which halogen bulb? generic part #

6 years later
#10 3 years ago

Replacing a burnt out bulb now for Creature and it's bayonet style 1156 and sold in Auto supply stores. Photo attached.

Creature Bulb 1156 (resized).jpgCreature Bulb 1156 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

FWIW there is an LED bulb you can get on Amazon which is both brighter and draws less power than the Halogens

#12 3 years ago

It's definitely worth the info. Do you have a link to the part? Thanks!

#13 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 found it just LED 1156. Thanks for mentioning. I'll try it

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipsteen:

Which one did you get? There’s a few different ones

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipsteen:

Glad you found it. Be super sure it is the right specs - I initially got one for my CFTBL which did not work.

#16 3 years ago

This was the one I got, but I’m sure all 1156 will work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0193J9860/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_pL7YFbG7Z409M

Not sure if there are different colors available but IMO white is best

1 year later
#17 1 year ago

I just installed this Phinlion 1156 LED (link below), which is a huge improvement over the original halogen bulb. The 30 year old hologram was barely visible in my machine, and installing this 1800 Lumen LED bulb makes it look brand new!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08311NZV7

#18 1 year ago

Those work well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
€ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/correct-bulb-for-creature-hologen?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.