Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rwilimo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm wondering how useful this tool would be.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Soldering-Iron-Kit-W-1-1-5Ah-Batteries-Charger-Hard-Case-2488-21/302917211?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-302022408-_-302917211-_-N

For things like a quick coil or switch, it would be nice to leave the solder station on the bench. Traditionally cordless solder irons are poorly reviewed, this may be too new to tell, but Milwaukee makes a great tool. If I didn't already have a bunch of Bosch 12v tools I'd be snagging this right up. I may still grab one. I saw someone on a tool forum say they converted some Milwaukee tools to use a Bosch battery, I wish they posted a how to.

#2 5 years ago

Tip looks too small for a coil.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I have a portosol butane. You're right, it's great for coils and under PF things, but I wouldn't think to use it on a board. Plenty of attachments, definitely one of my favorite tool purchases.

#4 5 years ago

Here's what I have. I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

Portasol 011289250 Pro Piezo 75-Watt Heat Tool Kit with 7 Tips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HHK7KG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ei.2AbEFPK8HJ

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Portasol 011289250 Pro Piezo 75-Watt Heat Tool Kit with 7 Tips amazon.com link »

I have had one for years, very useful. But just be very careful doing board work with it.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Portasol 011289250 Pro Piezo 75-Watt Heat Tool Kit with 7 Tips amazon.com link »

Interesting. I see a 125 watt version for a few more bucks, and it looks like there is a higher end Weller Pyropen as well. I've seen these before but just wrote them off as probably not powerful enough. Seems like it would be really useful for heat shrink too.

I wouldn't see myself doing any board work with it, unless my station failed. This would be purely quick jobs that aren't worth me taking the solder station off the bench.

#7 5 years ago

The 125 was a bigger difference when I got mine, otherwise I would have snagged that one. Mine heats up really quick, and does what I need. I use it for shrink tube all the time.

#8 5 years ago

Yes AVE just took one apart. I already have the batteries, drill and socket wrench so I think I'll get it. I purchased a hacko 601 for pf work but anything with no cord for that work is better imo. I always forget about the butane Weller? I have too.

Remember to " keep your dick in a vice! " And tell him I sent ya.

#9 5 years ago

Intriging

#10 5 years ago

What did you end up with?

#11 5 years ago

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning toward the 125 watt Portasol.

1 month later
    #12 5 years ago

I bought the 125 watt Portasol and finally got around to using it today, twice. It heated up quickly and made quick work of 2 coils. So far it seems plenty hot enough. One was in an odd spot that would have probably required an extension cord for my iron. The other was in a reimport with no service outlet. I'd say it saved me a good chunk of time in both cases. It's too soon to give a definitive review but so far so good...

4 months later
    #13 5 years ago

I own one of these, works great for a quick wire type repair, to hot for small board repair. Heats up quick too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cordless-solder-iron-milwaukee-looks-promising and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.