5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG4214 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

My dad died suddenly from a car accident 4 years ago. I had been on a trip to Boston and was home less than an hour when the trooper pulled in my driveway. I was 18, he was in a coma for 2 weeks before he passed. I spent every night at the hospital and drove back home every day. I don’t remember much of it because it was such a numb blur, although I do recall that I literally did not sleep for over a week. That was the worst thing ever. It seemed to drag on endlessly

It’s been hard ever since and I was lost for a while there, about 2 years have no clue what I was doing really. I got into this hobby a year after he died when I decided to build the game room, which is modeled after his living room. He owned two of those little pachislo slot machines, and they reminded me of an arcade.

It’s taken off since then and now I own too many already. I’m buried with projects. He was a man of many trades and he had LOTS of tools. Now I use all those tools and skills I learned in the hobby and it’s really helped me immensely with coping and moving on. Living and using his things every day make me feel a lot better. I’ve finally been able to laugh again and go back out and spent time with friends.

Grief takes its natural course and we have to work through it. The hardest thing for me was to force myself to go out and and still do what I loved. The Depression that comes with loss is sneaky and I didn’t suspect it for a long while. Just keep on keeping on, and try to remember that while you may not want to do anything, you’ll feel better if you make yourself go out and have a good time.

I wish you the best in such a difficult time during the holidays.

7 months later
#95 4 years ago

Thanks for reminding me.
My dad’s birthday is coming up and it’s gonna be his 5th one without him here. I really wanna get one of his bikes on the road. Tried my hardest to build it on my own but the last part is kicking my ass.

I was thinking about it and realized that if I don’t wanna end up like him, then I have to accept I can’t do everything on my own, and pay to finally have it done. He was always so stubborn and so sure he could do anything on his own, his one weakness was his inability to ask for help. He always told me he wanted me to be better so maybe that means realizing even if you could do everything on your own, you shouldn’t because then you’ll live your life isolated from everyone else.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coping-with-loss-of-mom?tu=Isochronic_Frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.