(Topic ID: 325818)

Cooperative Pinball Machines, your recommandations

By PhilouFelin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Hey guys,

I started buying pinball machines 1 year ago and I started with Stern's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I watched many gameplay videos, I saw that there were many game modes, etc...

However, after buying few more and reading a lot about latest machines, I note that there is not much machines with coop mode.

What are the other machines with coop mode that you are aware of? And is the mode cool (not just adding scores)? What would be your recommandations for someone wishing to play coop with friends (casuals players)?

Phil

#2 1 year ago

Oktoberfest, Houdini and Hot Wheels all have team play available now. Bascially lets you work together to beat the game and combines scores. You can also play 2 on 1 (or 3 on 1). So if I played my kids, they would get twice as many balls as myself.

#3 1 year ago

I'm a huge fan of Co-op modes. I owned a Hot Wheels and it was fun to play with my daughter. I would tee up multiballs for her then drain and let her feel like she accomplished something. (She is 7). I got rid of it to bring new machines into the home. Co-op was fun but honestly rarely used. If you have a lot of novice people over having a game or two that does this may be of more benefit.

One has to mention TNA for the co-op list. The game is great, just different, and expensive these days.

#4 1 year ago

All games on the Multimorphic P3 platform.

#5 1 year ago

Alice Cooper has co-op, or 2v2 teams.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Alice Cooper has co-op, or 2v2 teams.

I have Alice and didn't know about this. How do you tee it up?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I have Alice and didn't know about this. How do you tee it up?

Holding the start button in will activate co-op mode.

Once co-op mode is activated, pressing and holding start again will activate teams mode.

#8 1 year ago

Any pinball game ever made can be coded for co-op. I added co-op to my Data East Jurassic Park remake, just for fun as an idea to make pinball multiplayer more interesting. Players could team up and play a single game together, scoring their own points but with the same objective. This idea was later used by Stern in their TMNT game, I believe.

Co-op is just the start of a new way to enjoy pinball multiplayer with friends and family.

#9 1 year ago

Gottlieb’s Tag Team has a co-op team score when playing in multiplayer.

#10 1 year ago

There was a recent thread asking the same/similar:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coop-mode

I've not tried coop on the American pins, but both TNA + Mandalorian have it very well integrated.

Mando allows progress to be made on mode progression across players but I believe all players get to play the mini-wizard modes individually. You also share beskar (currency used in the in-game shop/mystery award replacement). It's cool, and my wife and I play coop every time we see a Mando on location.

TNA combines scoring and progress on destroying reactors, but keeps track of how many final-shots each player makes (IE how many reactors you destroy). Works very well and it's fun when you get to steal that last shot, get an easy 'point' and piss off your teammate

I'm a huge fan of co-op in games and really hope to see more of it in the future.

#11 1 year ago

I wonder if the guys coding the old ss games with arduino updates could incorporate this.

#12 1 year ago

None of my machines have coop but it sounds like a cool feature and I wouldn't mind owning one pinball that has a good coop mode. I'd mainly use it so my wife and son could team up against me.

#13 1 year ago

Coop is cool if you both know how to progress through the game. What it doesn’t solve is the awkward problem of super uneven ball times.

It sucks when friends, kids or the ol’ boot can only keep the ball alive for 10 seconds, and you’re up there for minutes. Or you try cut it shorter by making it look like you’re playing well, but you’re really just hoping for a skillful drain.

We need a co-op handicap, where each player can adjust game settings ike no flipper holding, flipper strength, length of ball save etc.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Coop is cool if you both know how to progress through the game. What it doesn’t solve is the awkward problem of super uneven ball times.
    It sucks when friends, kids or the ol’ boot can only keep the ball alive for 10 seconds, and you’re up there for minutes. Or you try cut it shorter by making it look like you’re playing well, but you’re really just hoping for a skillful drain.
    We need a co-op handicap, where each player can adjust game settings ike no flipper holding, flipper strength, length of ball save etc.

I like this idea, a lot.

#15 1 year ago

Just increase the amount of balls on any machine(that you can do that with), and you got co-op mode, no? Or is there something more going on with these co-op modes that I am missing.

I mean sure, I get the appeal of not having to go into the settings all the time and having separate high scores and all that. But if you find the mode that much fun, why limit it to the games that have it inherently designed for.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I'm guessing you're aware, but "Monster Mode" on Mando is almost exactly this but not co-op, Player 1 is on the "Impossible Mode" rules and Players 2-4 are on standard rules. I agree combining this with co-op would be sweet, but it's very fun and I love both the options on Mando as they are.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Quoted from stubborngamer:

Just increase the amount of balls on any machine(that you can do that with), and you got co-op mode, no? Or is there something more going on with these co-op modes that I am missing.
    I mean sure, I get the appeal of not having to go into the settings all the time and having separate high scores and all that. But if you find the mode that much fun, why limit it to the games that have it inherently designed for.

The games that do it well (TNA specifically) there's still some competition, but it's much friendlier for the less skilled players than standard score competition. And on Mando, standard modes can't be played more than once per co-op game, but each player gets to play the mini-wizard mode if the team makes it there. All depends on implementation.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

In fact, it a lot more sophisticated than that . For example, in TMNT, every player has to select a different turtle. That comes with their specific power-ups ans also their specific training level (for Insider Connect player). You progress through the game with all players and benefits from milestones in storyline for each player. For example, when unlocking team-up mode, every player will have its shot to enter team-up mode and then progress in it.

Coop mode when well implemented is awesome! Coop mode where points are simply cumulating is not really relevant...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooperative-pinball-machines-your-recommandations?hl=justjared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.