Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

377885.jpg
    377883.jpg
    377882.jpg
    377884.jpg
    LOTR_flipper_fans.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I plan to cool my LOTR flipper coils by aluminium heat sinks if possible. Has anybody realized such a passive cooling system and can propose a concrete model and source for this sink? Is a heat sink sufficient for cooling of a coil? What do I have to take care of when installing a sink?

Alternatively, if this does not work, I would use a PC fan (which possibly is the more common approach), although this would mean that I have to take energy from somewhere. Which fan models (seize and voltage) do you use? Where do you get the energy from in the pinball?

Thank you and best regards

Eckhard

#5 8 years ago

Regarding the heat sinks: which concrete model/part number did you use and how did you fix/install the sinks?

Thanks for your feedback

Eckhard

#18 8 years ago

Thank you so much for your comments and pictures. I understand that a heat sink lowers the heat Problem a bit, but the fan solutions seems to be favourable.

Algum 1,2,3 and Brad 808, as I am not very skilled in electrical issues, would it be possible to send a picture of the concrete power supply for the fans in the LOTR. Algum1,2,3, you mentioned the assessory connector in the cabinet front; where/what is that? I think the fans come with 3 pole wires.

Regards

Eckhard

6 months later
    #36 8 years ago

In the meantime I installed 2 PC fans with 12 Volt in my LOTR and it works perfect. The main advantage is that the coils are held at constant warm temperature and thus do not change their behaviour over a long gameplay.

The installation is not so difficult (I have only minor technical skills !). For fixing the fans I used the alu/metal holding of the playfield when open, so that neither the playfield is damaged nor any cables are in danger. Then connecting with a 12V reserve ...thats it.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Richard_BoK:

My LOTR doesn't heat up...
    Why do coils get warm? If the stroke-time is too long the flippers will heat up faster.
    Try adjusting the EOS (the software actually does more than pulse the stroke when a ball is falling on it)
    And try adjusting the software. I believe there are software revisions which allow for 3 extra adjustments for the flippers. At least mine does. Adjustments like minimum stroke time and stroke-time after EOS has been made. And one extra.
    There might also be an adjustment for coil power. Not sure if this is also present for LOTR.
    Again: my LOTR doesn't have heating problems and all shots can be made easily (including the ring from the left flipper in a long lasting game). So it must be possible without extra cooling.

LOTR is famous for coils heating up. The adjustments (I think 53 to 55) influence the EOS behaviour, but this had no effect in my LOTR. The heating up affected the flipper strength a lot. Although I had the strong PBL coils (which I now replaced with less stronger ones), it was hard to reach the ring. Some machines have the issue, others not. I cannot tell you where the difference Comes from. Even more modern Pins seem to have week coils and I installed the fan solution in my second NIB machine. It makes a big difference.

The coil power adjustment does not change the flipper coil strength, only the other coils, IMO.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zora.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooling-flipper-coils-by-aluminium-heat-sinks-or-pc-fans?tu=Zora and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.