Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210325_010123392 (1) (resized).jpg
    sink2 (resized).jpg
    sink (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).png
    REF1 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I see many kits now to help improve flipper coil cooling, which can help with flipper-fade when the coils get too hot etc.

Makes sense to me, especially for the single wind PWM pulsed coils.

Looking at the photos in the solutions, I wanted to spitball some ideas without actually hijacking any products etc.

Curious why the paper coil wrapper always seems to be left on? why not remove this? that would open up all kinds of surface areas, and take away that layer of insulation.

Primarily tho, maybe this thread could house some general ideas or methods that might be effective.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This won't work. A heatpipe has water (albeit a very tiny quantity, but enough to move heat around through a structure effeciently), coil wires are solid. You can't conduct enough heat from the bundle of windings down a single strand to make any kind of noticeable difference in the winding core itself. Literally, you will be doing LESS cooling if you were to try this, as the conduction from direct contact (sans the insulation material they put on the wire itself) will be a million times better than down the structure you're proposing.
    A fan is about as good as we're going to get without going into completely ridiculous and impractical territory.

Hmm, I was more referencing the heat pipe type copper methods used with older PC heatsinks. These are solid copper, but quite thick, so yes would pull the majority of the heat, and then usually spread out to fins etc.

I suppose you are correct on further consideration.. it is a net loss endeavor in the sense that by removing windings, we effectively reduce efficacy, for negligible cooling.

Still think there must be some way to improve passive cooling.. my concern is just any damage to the fragile insulation of the copper winding wire. anything that we could somehow apply to the coil with some fins to make better use of the fan for cooling.

Peltier coil stops? lol

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

One possible (and very impractical) solution is to use a Sil-Pad or Poly Pad. These are sheets of thermally conductive material. Various thicknesses, from very thin to rather thick. I've used these in the past. You could wind a layer, lay in a strip of Poly Pad to the outside world. Repeat. Then attach to a heatsink to wick the heat out.
    Would it work? Yeah, this probably could be pulled off with some effort. But you'd likely end up w/a $200 flipper coil!

Yeah.. I was thinking about something like that.. even a small pad such that maybe a small chip heatsink could be zip-tied or otherwise held to the coil.. at least something that the fan could be more effective on... contact would need to be quite good, otherwise it's just another layer of insulation.. still.. might be fun to at least try to test.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I'm amazed that nobody is talking about the 'actual problem' here?
    POOR engineering and ultimately VERY POOR DESIGN just to save a few bucks on a $10K machine.
    That's poor form IMO.

You mean with regard to using single wind vs dual windings for EOS?

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Probably won't help. To me (and I haven't measured any coils), fan cooling probably just helps the upper layers of the coil. Sure, it will help some on the inner layers, but I suspect it's diminishing results.
    Just as a FYI, here's a link to the Sil-Pads: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/99609.pdf
    You have to be careful with Sil-Pads, a person can actually go backwards if not implemented correctly.

Neat, I have seen some kind of similar material with PC video adaptors to help with chip cooling. Presume it is the same sort of thing. didn't know it could be put on backwards.. that could explain some things.. lol

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

How about ditch this (obviously POOR) idea and go back to the tried and proven two windings idea that WMS perfected over many years and hundreds of thousands of machines.
    I'm talking about pulsing a single winding which is the root cause of this problem and, basically, cannot be overcome as the basic idea is flawed from the start.
    A pull winding does the heavy lifting and the hold winding is designed EXACTLY for this purpose.
    This whole pulsed coil thing is for one reason only - more profit - but it results in electrical problems that we are all seeing and trying to resolve by adding patches (fans etc). This problem will NEVER be resolved while these manufacturers keep using a single winding coil.

I don't know if it is that simple.

This flipper driving mech concept has been in use since Data East pins. The general idea in the single wind has some merit, as controlling by PWM allows us to do some interesting things as well.. along with the fact that it's hard to say if it is as simple as cost savings.. I mean, those modern stern flippers most would agree feel very good for the first 30 minutes or so.. and it is really some specific titles where various usage seems to lead to some temperature issues... The coils themselves pack a lot of copper.. I feel like they are comparable if not larger than B+W?

Of course, I love the feel of my B+W as well.. I'm not sure how exactly they match up to modern Stern for power and responsiveness.. I feel like if the setting were maxed out on the Stern, it would have an edge?

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

What am I missing here? Why do pinball machines now suddenly need cooling fans for flipper coils? Is this a design thing? What has changed with pinball machines from the past that did not require flipper coil cooling?

I think it is mostly the modern titles, coupled with the power and method of driving the flippers. It is proven that over longer sessions the temperature of the coils gets to a point where the flippers are noticeably weaker. This excessive heat causes the coils to be less powerful. I actually wonder if it really has much to do with EOS tho, and perhaps just more to do with constant flipping.. it's a phenom that is more noticeable with certain titles.. and certainly multiball stacks can keep some players flipping constantly for some time.

In my case, I noticed it a bit on my Sword of rage LE, I was able to mitigate it almost entirely by simply reducing the flipper power. By default Stern maxes out flipper power, and a lot of people like to slam the pitch on the machines.. so maybe that is a factor as well.

I also notice some loss of power on my Tales from the Crypt after long play sessions.. so it's not necessarily just moderns.. but a common denominator is single wind coils for sure... maybe they are just juiced a bit too high.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Actually... there seems to be a product line specifically designed for cooling cylinders about the same size. DC remote control car fans.
    There seem to be a large variety of plug and play kits on Amazon. I wonder if any of these would work?
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]
    Snap on heat sinks. 2 for $15
    amazon.com link »[quoted image]

That's pretty cool.. [npi]. but yeah, would be interesting to see the test results of that coupled with the poly pad lining the inside to protect the coil wire, and transfer as much heat as possible. This is probably the most marketable idea if it can be proven and done to make an affordable kit.. If the thermal transfer of the poly pad is good enough with the coil wire, it's maybe good enough even just using passively (without a fan).

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

A: Yes, if you want it to work. You could have a solid slug at the bottom that steps into a lesser diameter (classic stern had this). Hollow shaft wouldn't hold up I don't think, and the air inside would be not enough
    B: They used to have aluminum sleeves, they really suck. Nylon all the way. Friction is too high on other types.
    They don't need to fix the fan/cooling issue... they need to stop driving the flippers the way they are. Like others have said, this has already been solved. I'm kind of surprised as well that no one has just ripped out the system and kept the triggering so regular wpc style flippers can be used.
    The old designs aren't perfect either, but you need a lot of playtime for them to fade. System 11 era games can get fade but the game has to go on for a long time (black knight 2000 for an hour or so....)

Yeah, would be great to see a test and proper comparison. I never notice fade on my WPC games.. but then, even on a Multiball centric game like demolition man, the multiballs are somewhat short.. some of the modern games just seem to have multiball after multiball, along with ball saves.. I feel like the constant high power flipping is what must drive up the temps the most.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I literally bought a neck cooler to put in my R&M. It works great and is less than $20. That above is just another version of the same thing we are already doing. The goal should be to get rid of the need for fans.
    A redesign is really what is in order...but I don't see it happening. The real solution would be to move away from coils completely. It's the like the combustion engine, decades have went by and you are telling me there is no better solution?

Sounds like we'd need a quantum leap

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I ran into the fading coil problem on my led zeppelin premium. Instead of fans, I replaced the coils with the PBLife upgraded LOTR coils. The coil wiring is noticeably thicker and heavier. I then lowered the flipper power way down to compensate for the more powerful coils. This seems to have fixed my issue. So, is it because of the thicker wire combined with less power = less heat therefore better even performance? I have played 40 min games without issue since. Id personally rather do this instead of fans. Nothing against the fan makers or doers.
    Mike

So specifically this product?
    https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
    (090-5020-2OT)

I did not verify, but from another post, the resistance difference:
    090-5020-30 is a 23-900 3.8 ohm coil
    090-5020-20T is a 22-900 3.4 ohm coil

So if you were able to turn down the power by 10% and get a similar feel, but reduced fade.. that's pretty good news!

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

My sleeves are sticking

I installed some fans on my sleeves for this. It's a little awkward, but it keeps my core temp down.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

JJP Guns and Roses uses dual winding coils, and the thin winding breaks, a lot.
    I’ve replaced 6+ coils on that and WoZ on route.
    And, JJP flippers don’t really have a great feel, , so I don’t really think dual winding is the ultimate fix for the fade that some experience.
    And they were never as perfect as some think, ever play Demolition Man in a tournament where it gets played long hours? The flippers always get weak.

Interesting. I've never experienced my demo man get that bad.. But certainly it is a title where it can be very frustrating with a weakened left flipper trying to make the claw ramp... I don't doubt it.. Esp if it is getting played heavily.. Pf gets a bit dirty, you really need those flipper coils to be 100%.

That's what I was thinking with the modern sterns.. It seems to be a solution to turn down the flipper power quite a bit.. Since doing this on my sword of rage, I don't encounter the fade anymore.. However it does mean that you really notice any slowdown due to pf dirt.. And it forces you to make cleaner shots, perhaps raising the difficulty in that way.. Which is not a bad thing.

Still for competition obviously it's important to have a threshold and try to mitigate fade as much as possible.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Fans blow around the black dust that forms from all the moving parts. Might cause other problems blowing the dirt around and get on everything in the game eventually. Should just make a software mod, so the game stops for cooling breaks automatically when the flippers get too warm! GameBreak! Please wait for flipper coil cooling! Game will resume 30 minutes! LOL!

Yeah we wait a minute after someone's tilts the machine.. Lol.. It does seem to take a while for the coils to come back to normal temps tho.

#59 2 years ago

Hmm thoughts on ducting air from the bottom cab vents to the coil coolers? That way perhaps just one 12cm fan pulls fresh air in and blows at the flipper coils.

Need to test inside cab temp I guess.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from sheahan2:

Wow, you guys posted a lot in a short time.
    So last year I started down the same path as this conversation is going. I found the radial heat sinks with fans to be the best bet and tried the radial heat sinks without fans just to see how much they helped (obviously not as much as with fans and my goal was to find a better solution than whats out there). So I tried a handful of different fan and heat sink types ranging from a $20 version to a $5 heat sink. Came up with the 380/540 RC heat sink with fan as the best option. Here is the kicker, the cabinet temperature does increase significantly and would benefit from a cabinet fan. The increase in cabinet temperature was the only reason the flippers increased in temperature. On the question of temperature deltas across the coil windings, I could only measure surface temperatures.
    So for anyone who wants to make one of these, the 540 heat sink fan is the way to go for most coils. I went with a 3 way splitter and then powered it off a 12V to 6V converter from a PBL power supply. In addition to the heat sink, to promote thermal conduction and ease installation, I added a thermal conductive tape to the bottom of the fans.[quoted image]

Good stuff!

So, cab temperatures are the big thing you noted? I like the idea of pulling from the back underside vents when available.. perhaps ducted to pull the cool air to the front.

Thanks for the info about the 540.. that's great.. looks like a great fit.. I'm still tempted to pull the paper wrapper off for the added cooling.. even just having the fan to blow on the last layer of wrap has to have a lot more surface area to help with the cooling?

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from PapaBless:

Welp, people who sell this might be pissed, here is my personal file for a 3d printed flipper coil fan cooler.
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/376D1kUwxCO
    Flip it on it's side and don't forget to add supports.
    Please feel free to use it, I charge a whopping $0
    Here is the link for some good fans too
    amazon.com link »
    You will need longer machine screws as the ones that come with the fans are not long enough to fit the cooler.

Hopefully it makes them up their game a bit... so much in the 3D printing community, and in the pinball community is given for free, and the communities are that much stronger because of it.. it can be frustrating to see people try to profit from trivial mods... and quite frankly, give people the option to DIY or order a kit, and you'll probably get the same if not more orders for providing the convenience of the kit.

Anyway, I've orders some sensors and some of those 540 heatsinks and fan types.. el cheapos from China so in a month or two, unless someone beats me to it, I'll have some updates for the thread

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooler-coils-prevail?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.