Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210325_010123392 (1) (resized).jpg
    sink2 (resized).jpg
    sink (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).png
    REF1 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 2 years ago

How about thermoelectric cooler with a fan instead of just a fan, there's a palm sized one for cooling pc boards & chips. I dunno, put the big heat sink around the coil and somehow attach the cold side of the cooler to the heatsink so it can soak up the cold.

But I agree it's the single coil design. Only pin I ever had where the flippers would start weakening was LOTR and it really pissed me off. I think I put heatsinks on them but my memory fails me. My WPT didn't seem to weaken that I could notice though.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

LOL, I thought about that too! Attach using some Sil-Pad material. I think they take a fair amount of current (at least the ones I saw), plus you'd need a heatsink and fan to cool the hot side. Wonder if vibration might be an issue?

The one I googled is a self-contained unit with a fan that blows the hot air out the top. I think they are made for people to cool the back of their smartphones. The cold side is just a big metal plate so the issue would be sinking the plate to the coil, or to a heatsink on the coil. But no idea how much power one of these things would need in order to compare to a fan blowing on the coil, this size might be totally insufficient..

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Link? I want to see this. If people are using peltiers to cool their phones....the battery life must be absolute ass...lol...

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from sheahan2:

The increase in cabinet temperature was the only reason the flippers increased in temperature.

How much did it rise in the cabinet with the heatsinks vs. without?

#66 2 years ago

I don't see it making much difference, the flipper is still putting out the same total amount of heat if you play it for 2 minutes or two hours. A fan on the coil is just distributing it faster thru the cabinet. It's not like playing the flippers as is for an hour isn't going to heat the cabinet up just as much on average.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooler-coils-prevail?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.