Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210325_010123392 (1) (resized).jpg
    sink2 (resized).jpg
    sink (resized).jpg
    Flipper (resized).png
    REF1 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am obviously not an engineer but will brainstorm with the crew a few ideas. Letters correspond to following image.
    A: Does the plunger have to be made solid? It seems to me like if it were hollow it increase surface area and allow for air to come in. We only focus on cooling the outside of the coil.

Yes it must be solid or you will have an incredibly weak flipper. You need that moving mass to produce enough force to launch a ball. Remember Force= Mass x Acceleration

B: What if we changed the material the coil sleeve was made out of and expanded it so that it acted as sort of a heat sink on its own?

The coil sleeve is there to reduce friction. Even if you used one of the old metal coil sleeves, there is no where to reject the waste heat to in that configuration. It will just heat up to the same temperature as the coil.

C: We focus on cooling this, but what about giving the coil itself more space and airflow to dissipate heat? The paper wrapper is there to stop shorts, but does it have to be paper? What if a small heatsink was attached to this. Imagine the photo in reference 1 with a coil in the center, and the whole thing except the outside being made out of metal. This would give much more surface area for air flow and to dissipate heat. The scale is way off but you get the idea. Could something like this be 3-d printed out of plastic, have it still be effective, and just snap over a coil? If you could get something like this to rotate around a coil it would be nifty.

If you move the coil outward from the playfield to gain more clearance, you will need longer flipper shafts. Adding heatsinks with fins increases the surface area and increases the effects of convention (both natural and forced). Being in a cabinet, there is very little air movement, so convection is mostly natural based on the buoyant force of hot air rising. Many plastics in general are poor thermal conductors and would not make good heat sinks.

D: The coil stop has direct contact with the coil. Could this be turned into a heat sink? Would it be possible to make a hollow coil stop letting air flow through the middle?

The coil stop is only in contact with the plastic end of the coil. The plastic is acting as an thermal insulator and would do a poor job conducting heat away from the windings.

E: Can we use the magnetic field that is driving the coils to spin a fan on its own without an external power source?

The duty cycle of the coils means that the fan in this configuration wouldn't run after the coil is deactivated, so it wouldn't be effective.

F: This mount is one of the few areas to come into contact with the coil… could a small heatsink be attached to this?
    Just a few ideas I could never engineer that are fun to speculate about. [quoted image][quoted image]

The mount has minimal contact with the coil, so its ability to conduct heat would be minimal.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I ran into the fading coil problem on my led zeppelin premium. Instead of fans, I replaced the coils with the PBLife upgraded LOTR coils. The coil wiring is noticeably thicker and heavier. I then lowered the flipper power way down to compensate for the more powerful coils. This seems to have fixed my issue. So, is it because of the thicker wire combined with less power = less heat therefore better even performance? I have played 40 min games without issue since. Id personally rather do this instead of fans. Nothing against the fan makers or doers.
    Mike

The thicker gauge wire reduces resistance. Less resistance=less heat

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Hmm thoughts on ducting air from the bottom cab vents to the coil coolers? That way perhaps just one 12cm fan pulls fresh air in and blows at the flipper coils.
    Need to test inside cab temp I guess.

You could

Quoted from PapaBless:

Welp, people who sell this might be pissed, here is my personal file for a 3d printed flipper coil fan cooler.
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/376D1kUwxCO
    Flip it on it's side and don't forget to add supports.
    Please feel free to use it, I charge a whopping $0
    Here is the link for some good fans too
    amazon.com link »
    You will need longer machine screws as the ones that come with the fans are not long enough to fit the cooler.

You should add that to the 3D printing thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Hopefully it makes them up their game a bit... so much in the 3D printing community, and in the pinball community is given for free, and the communities are that much stronger because of it.. it can be frustrating to see people try to profit from trivial mods... and quite frankly, give people the option to DIY or order a kit, and you'll probably get the same if not more orders for providing the convenience of the kit.

The guy who makes speaker leds wasn't thrilled when others shared their own free versions of a bracket to print. Worth a read for some drama
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printing-sharing-thread-lets-better-the-hobby/page/2#post-5996958

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't blame him, but this is the free market at work. He can be upset but he can't do anything about it.

While registering for a patent in expensive, it is the only real expectation of protection or enforcement of a designs intellectual property. Without it, you can't expect that others wont come to the market with competing copies. It is also questionable as to if a patent would even be granted for something as simple as a bracket.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

And I think a patent's around $50K-70K, based on my last patent. Have 2 fans that maybe 1 blows and the other sucks air? You're probably off the hook on infringement for the original patent.
    Sometimes patents are just for bragging rights.

A fan blowing on a solenoid coil is an industry standard cooling technique. Hard to patent common place practice. Same with addling lights to speakers. It's been in use in car audio and portable stereo applications for 20 years now.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Years back I remember someone drilling holes through the flipper coil stops to allow the air to escape and be replaced with cool air each time the flipper actuated rather than just compressing and heating the air every time.

It might reduce back pressure ever so slightly, but there is enough room between the plunger and coil sleep to let the air escape. They probably only succeeded in reducing the life of their coil stop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigguybbr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooler-coils-prevail?tu=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.