Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Clytor
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D4619705-10CB-42DA-9774-315142E9B8F4 (resized).jpeg
    2270BBD1-A406-4C6D-8704-2B5959A70AE5 (resized).jpeg
    29D03B42-3791-41A6-94C0-E2ACE7838A07 (resized).jpeg
    5D8E2E32-4217-4A07-8C6A-0C82983EADC2 (resized).jpeg
    ssb3 (resized).jpg
    270C57C8-75B9-4BA6-B437-9162F8B265E8 (resized).png
    Downtown-You-Tube (resized).jpg
    20220725_230250 (resized).jpg
    Wizards Flyer_1 (resized).png
    Wizards Flyer_4 (resized).png
    Wizards Gloucester St (resized).jpg
    DF7BF695-ECD7-4E10-8F26-7C5BAF6874BF (resized).jpeg
    BBAB5222-8555-4545-949F-FA17A0B927E5 (resized).jpeg
    Magic-Mountain-Holdfast-Bay-History-Centre (resized).jpg
    bc65-8bf4-5dd0-b05e-9ac67de64299 (resized).jpg
    5749-ec88-5c51-98ff-7ac3a5b1e2b9 (resized).jpg
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago

Two of our local arcades did not have names. I believe they were technically not legal in our town.
    The guy who ran the one we went to most often was a mobster, and he skirted the law by calling it a "showroom". It was very antiseptic for an arcade; brightly lit, no smoking, no food or drink, no hanging out if you were not playing. Just one large rectangular room.
    He had pins on one wall, and arcade games on the opposite wall. There was a shuffle alley and an air hockey table in the back.

#102 1 year ago

My childhood named arcades in Minnesota:

Bigs arcade
    Roc-a-fellas
    Circus pizza
    Pops arcade
    Alladins castle
    Lot Sa Fun

So many good memories.

#103 1 year ago

Other named places we used to go to; Adventurer's Inn, Nathan's (yeah, the hot dog place), Electric Playhouse, and Mahoplay Park Arcade (in Mahopac, NY).

#104 1 year ago

Professor Fether's in Charlottesville, VA (I was one of the owners of that)
    Flipper McCoy's in Virginia Beach, VA
    Time Zone in Springfield Mall, Springfield, VA

#105 1 year ago

Funarama, Funirama, Funorama, Funurama....just kidding about some of those, but I forget which ones.

More seriously: Competitor's Corner, Durham, NH.
    .................David Marston

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

They needed to buy a vowel!

That was corrected on the next two. Surprisingly the blue print for the current one left out the "I" too. Fortunately I caught it before the sign was made and installed.

LTG : )

ssb3 (resized).jpgssb3 (resized).jpg
    #107 1 year ago

SCANDIA Still going strong!

5D8E2E32-4217-4A07-8C6A-0C82983EADC2 (resized).jpeg5D8E2E32-4217-4A07-8C6A-0C82983EADC2 (resized).jpeg
    #108 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

That might have been the name of the local mall arcade, were they a chain?

Yes, they were a chain that did a lot of malls .

#109 1 year ago

Phineas Phoggs
    was in dowtown Orlando upstairs,on Churchstreet

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Odyssey Land was awesome! That's where my love of System 11 pins began. Spent TONS of quarters in Space Port too when mom was shopping at JC Pennys.
    There was also an arcade behind the King's store in Lansdale, but I can't for the life of me remember the name now and it's really annoying me. LOL
    Chris

Hey Chris,

I grew up in Hatfield. Dumped a ton of quarters into Spaceport and Odyssey land

The arcade behind the Kings was awesome.. and walking distance from the bowling alley.

I believe the name was Saturn 5… but not 100% positive. Great place.

Supercade in Plymouth meeting mall was also awesome. They had a 4 player Hat Trick machine that I thought I may have dreamed up until I saw Todd Tuckey found one. Would kill for that machine.

#111 1 year ago

Pinball Palace - Anaheim Ca. early to mid 70's

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Four arcades from my youth:
    Starbase One
    Sharkey's
    Silverball
    The Library
    That last one was the best name by far. All those kids telling their parents they were "going to the library"!

You grow up in Davis? Do you remember when there were 3 arcades in downtown Davis? Can't remember any names other than the library.
    What about the "Wreck Room" at UCD, remember that one?
    B

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Hey Chris,
    The arcade behind the Kings was awesome.. and walking distance from the bowling alley.
    Supercade in Plymouth meeting mall was also awesome. They had a 4 player Hat Trick machine that I thought I may have dreamed up until I saw Todd Tuckey found one. Would kill for that machine.

YES! I believe it was Saturn 5 - Man that was bothering me! LOL

Supercade was awesome. I remember that well also. Thanks for the assist on Saturn 5!

LansBowl had some games as well, but not a full fledged arcade. For a while they sold games too. I should have bought the Gottlieb Punk pinball for $800 when they sold it. It was a shame when it burned down

Chris

#114 1 year ago

The Great Escape and Fun N games were the ones I visited the most which were located in North Jersey. I did get kicked out of Fun N Games a number of times for loitering. If you weren't spending money, you were out real fast!

#115 1 year ago

Alladin's Castle, Barrel of Fun, Play Palace, Fun City, Pinball Palace. I miss them all.

#116 1 year ago

Bump and Tilt

#117 1 year ago

Casual Quarter in Annandale Virginia. circa mid-late 70's. Fllip Flop, Old Chicago, Joker Poker, <sigh> those were the days. Nicotine burn marks and quarters on the glass!

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

Hey Chris,

Thanks for posting!
    I reached out to a slightly older buddy who grew up in lansdale. He couldn’t remember the name.
    Hatfield “Home of the Smiling Porker!”

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

YES! I believe it was Saturn 5 - Man that was bothering me! LOL
    Supercade was awesome. I remember that well also. Thanks for the assist on Saturn 5!
    LansBowl had some games as well, but not a full fledged arcade. For a while they sold games too. I should have bought the Gottlieb Punk pinball for $800 when they sold it. It was a shame when it burned down
    Chris

Lansbowl always had a nice smaller size arcade. It was better than Town and Country bowling’s mini arcade from what I remember. We gravitated to Town and Country as I got a little older due to them having a bar.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Phineas Phoggs
    was in dowtown Orlando upstairs,on Churchstreet

…and downstairs they had nickel beers on Mondays!

#121 1 year ago

Flipper Flapper. Locations in The Redlands Mall and in The Inland Center Mall in Redlands and San Bernardino CA.

#122 1 year ago

Playpen Arcade. Bridgeport, Michigan.

2 weeks later
    #123 1 year ago

I haven’t seen Exhilarama mentioned yet. It was a pretty awesome setup for an arcade. I can’t find any good images but I did find a few articles about it.

2270BBD1-A406-4C6D-8704-2B5959A70AE5 (resized).jpeg2270BBD1-A406-4C6D-8704-2B5959A70AE5 (resized).jpeg29D03B42-3791-41A6-94C0-E2ACE7838A07 (resized).jpeg29D03B42-3791-41A6-94C0-E2ACE7838A07 (resized).jpegD4619705-10CB-42DA-9774-315142E9B8F4 (resized).jpegD4619705-10CB-42DA-9774-315142E9B8F4 (resized).jpeg
    1 year later
    #124 8 months ago
    Quoted from slghokie:

Mindboggle in the River Ridge mall Lynchburg VA

This was my main arcade, when I was a kid!

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-names-of-old-arcades/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.