(Topic ID: 225329)

Cool fix for score reel numbers...I think!

By GabeKnuth

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

United_Score_Reel_Numbers.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_4783 (resized).jpeg
    score reels (resized).png
    Cameo (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

I'm restoring a 1964 United/Williams Pacer Shuffle Alley. It has 25 score reels (24 0-9 reels for scores and a 1-10 reel for the frame). It was filthy, so when I started cleaning it I found the numbers on certain reels were more robust than others. I knew alcohol or Simple Green wouldn't work, but even a light hit with water was enough to destroy some of the numbers beyond a simple Sharpie fix.

Inkochnito created a PDF based on custom font that he had made, which is awesome but doesn't match the other score reels, which means I'd have to replace all of them. Since I had so many score reels, I wanted to be able to replace the numbers on a reel, either all the numbers or just a single messed up one, and have it match.

I noticed, at least on this machine, that the score reels use the Futura Bold font, which I think just about everyone has on their computer. Knowing the font helps a lot, because I was able to create a project file for Silhouette Studio to cut a new set of numbers out of vinyl decal material. You can fit 8 reels worth of numbers on a single 12" wide roll.

The end result is pretty great. It looks better than some of the crude paint jobs on some of the other reels that are on here. I'm not sure if this will hold up over time, but we'll see. If it doesn't hold, I can use a similar process to paint numbers on. Instead of pulling off the vinyl around the numbers and sticking the numbers on, I'll pull off the numbers and leave the "holes" in the vinyl as a stencil. Then stick the vinyl on, paint, and enjoy!

Anyone with a vinyl cutter can do this. I personally own a Silhouette Cameo 3, but others should work, too. You can download the Silhouette Studio v3 file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejc540sfm9d6c9g/score%20reels.studio3?dl=0

You can create designs with other fonts (including Inkochnito's) if necessary, though each new font takes some tweaking. In general, you want letters that are 1" wide, and the strip from the top of the first number to the bottom of the last number should be 15.45" (the trick is getting an equal gap between in this 15.45" space). These measurements should allow anyone with a different vinyl cutter to make their own, too.

I hope this helps those of you with mangled score reel numbers!
    Cameo (resized).pngCameo (resized).pngIMG_4783 (resized).jpegIMG_4783 (resized).jpegscore reels (resized).pngscore reels (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

Looking good!
    Isn't there a high gloss vinyl?
    Just curious.....

BTW... It's Inkochnito without the g.

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

#3 5 years ago

How about this file?
    Just an easy quick change of the used font....
    I don't know if any of the 1-0-9 parts are usefull, but I left them in place.

United_Score_Reel_Numbers.pdfUnited_Score_Reel_Numbers.pdf
    #4 5 years ago

Great job! I love all the uses people are finding for the cutters. Super versatile restoration tool.

As for the vinyl- you probably know this but there are two types. A permanent outdoor suitable and a removable type. The permanent type does come in a high gloss and I can pretty much guarantee that unless the plastic surface powders or something- the permanent vinyl is not coming off the reels for a very long time.

I cut some decals for an electrical panel thats outside and applied them two years ago using a high gloss permanent black vinyl. We have winters with a bunch of snow and harsh heat in the summer and they still look identical to the day i applied them two plus years ago. Should be bomber inside the head of a pinball stored inside.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

@Inkochnito, that's interesting. The 1 in your version of Futura Bold is different than mine, as is the 7. Everything else looks pretty close, but your 1 is more pointed on the top left, and the point of the 7 is cut off.

Either way, it's much closer, and the only way anyone would really notice is if they A) Weren't playing the game and B) Have been staring at pinball score reel fonts for a few hours.

@rufessor, I just used whatever black roll I had laying around. Looks like it's Oracal 631, which is not permanent. It's held just fine over the short term, but it would make sense to use more robust stuff going forward. And as for gloss, the stuff I used is matte, and you don't notice in the machine. If I had gloss, though, I'd have used it. If I wanted to do all 25 reels in this thing I'd be sure to get some.

A few more thoughts:

1) If the reel just has the ink-based markings on it, it's super easy to clean off the old numbers with rubbing alcohol. If paint has been used to touch it up, cleaning off the old stuff is hard. Goo Gone worked best for me, but even then it was like 20 minutes of gentle rubbing with a paper towel.

2) I couldn't whiten them at all with approaches I'd used before (high concentrate peroxide and Oxi-Clean, set out in the sun). I figure the absolute worst case scenario could be to use white vinyl first, then apply the black numbers. At that point, though, Inkochinto's approach is the most appropriate.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

How about this file?
    Just an easy quick change of the used font....
    I don't know if any of the 1-0-9 parts are usefull, but I left them in place.

Nice,

Can you upload a link to that file as well?

TY

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Nice,
    Can you upload a link to that file as well?
    TY

Just click the file above.
    Then use "save as" to save the file on your drive.
    The file will be on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl for download at the end of the month.

Quoted from GabeKnuth:

Thanks for the feedback!
    Inkochnito, that's interesting. The 1 in your version of Futura Bold is different than mine, as is the 7. Everything else looks pretty close, but your 1 is more pointed on the top left, and the point of the 7 is cut off.
    Either way, it's much closer, and the only way anyone would really notice is if they A) Weren't playing the game and B) Have been staring at pinball score reel fonts for a few hours.
    rufessor, I just used whatever black roll I had laying around. Looks like it's Oracal 631, which is not permanent. It's held just fine over the short term, but it would make sense to use more robust stuff going forward. And as for gloss, the stuff I used is matte, and you don't notice in the machine. If I had gloss, though, I'd have used it. If I wanted to do all 25 reels in this thing I'd be sure to get some.
    A few more thoughts:
    1) If the reel just has the ink-based markings on it, it's super easy to clean off the old numbers with rubbing alcohol. If paint has been used to touch it up, cleaning off the old stuff is hard. Goo Gone worked best for me, but even then it was like 20 minutes of gentle rubbing with a paper towel.
    2) I couldn't whiten them at all with approaches I'd used before (high concentrate peroxide and Oxi-Clean, set out in the sun). I figure the absolute worst case scenario could be to use white vinyl first, then apply the black numbers. At that point, though, Inkochnito's approach is the most appropriate.

I've used Futura Md BT in bold setting.
    Maybe that's why they look different.
    It is the best I could find to match the score reels.

Peter

#8 5 years ago

got it.

Thanks Peter

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-fix-for-score-reel-numbersi-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.