(Topic ID: 49093)

Cool Dirty Donny Video

By Mando

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poster_pop_ad.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Cool video about his art. I will have to admit before the Metallica pin was announced had not really heard of him...but now I am loving his stuff. Hopefully I can get him to sign something from my game someday

#2 10 years ago

He's a lot younger than I thought he was. I guess I thought his stuff was around when I was a kid - that style of art definitely was. Loved seeing the tiki mug collection.

#3 10 years ago

Zomg so excited for Metallica. When he said "garbagepail kids" that was the first thing I thought of when I saw his stuff. Which I enjoy.

#4 10 years ago

Awesome. His art is great. I grew up with garbage pail kids.

#5 10 years ago

Wow who woulda thought....

#6 10 years ago

Cool stuff-- Definitely don't want to knock the guy. It's just not my cup of tea. I'd much rather have my Metallica dark and apocalyptic than silly and cartoonish-- that is if I cared enough about Metallica to get the pin. It really does look like fun and probably will be. I just couldn't be an owner if I don't care that deeply about the theme or the art work. Congrats to all who purchased though. It must be pretty darn exciting to anticipate getting a brand new game.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Cool stuff-- Definitely don't want to knock the guy. It's just not my cup of tea. I'd much rather have my Metallica dark and apocalyptic than silly and cartoonish-- that is if I cared enough about Metallica to get the pin. It really does look like fun and probably will be. I just couldn't be an owner if I don't care that deeply about the theme or the art work. Congrats to all who purchased though. It must be pretty darn exciting to anticipate getting a brand new game.

I don't care what you think ! Thanks anyways .

#8 10 years ago

I'm a huge fan of the art style it's what sold me , it's pinball after all !!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I don't care what you think ! Thanks anyways .

I should probably not insult someone in their own home. This is your home, isn't it? Literally, you live here. Seems like with 38,000 karma points you would learn to respect diversity of opinion.

#10 10 years ago

Not only a great artist, but a really great person as well. If you want to buy that spooky house backglass, see this thread. I think there are 1 or 2 left.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-dirty-donny-spooky-house-pinball-backglass-and-limited-edition-book

If you want to buy a cheap t-shirt or some very cool $4 stickers to support him, visit:

http://www.posterpop.com/categories/Artists/Dirty-Donny/

poster_pop_ad.jpgposter_pop_ad.jpg

#11 10 years ago

I am very tempted to buy that backglass !! Trying to be resonable with what I spend with Metallica on the way but would be a great keepsake for sure.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I should probably not insult someone in their own home. This is your home, isn't it? Literally, you live here. Seems like with 38,000 karma points you would learn to respect diversity of opinion.

Can we keep this little quarrel out of this thread was really meant to point out a very cool artist. Comon guys this is all golf fun nothing serious, and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Thx!

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

Can we keep this little quarrel out of this thread was really meant to point out a very cool artist. Comon guys this is all golf fun nothing serious, and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Thx!

Agreed. Sorry. I guess I just can't turn the other cheek when someone takes a condescending tone. Again, looking forward to playing the pin. As far as ownership goes, probably not. Thanks for getting us back on track.

#15 10 years ago

Cool vid thanks for sharing.

I really like his style of art also.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Somehow the ridiculous scoring system on a pinball forum is teaching life lessons now? And 38,000 of those points is "living here"?

#17 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, makes me even more stoked on Metallica, guy has some great artwork for sure!

#18 10 years ago

very cool, thanks!

#19 10 years ago

Very informative. Thanks!

#20 10 years ago

Great find Adam. Makes the Art come alive. I'm now a DD fan.

Do some research on the voice of Sparky. Another over the top talent.

#21 10 years ago

Hey Dave, yea I have seen/heard the sparky guy. I really love the DD art, totally my style of "Art" not that I am big into art but makes me want some of his. You are all welcome for sharing, thought it was a cool look into the artist. I must say how good the game is, and whether or not you like the art or not I have to commend stern(or metallica) for really bringing in some top talent on this game. I mean you have Donny on the art, sparky guy on the voices, a great band in metallica, lyman on the rules! I suppose if Ritchie was on the playfield instead of borg this would be quite the all star team, that said I really like Borgs stuff too so not knocking him an any way, just think Ritchie is seen at the #1 at stern right now. Of course as kick butt as AC/DC is, the layout is rather basic and the toys on this look pretty sweet in theory.

#22 10 years ago

Very cool vid. His art is right up my alley. Ed Roth Von Dutch inspired for sure. I am just not a Metallica fan at all. Hopefully he will be involved in another pin - something original would be awesome! I have always thought the pinball and lowbrow art world were ripe for cross-pollination. I would love to see a Robert Williams or Todd Schorr pinball machine. Maybe even a Shag or Mark Ryden piece. Lowbrow art collectors are as rabid as pinball collectors. I could see hand painted LE machines by these artists going for crazy cash.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

He's a lot younger than I thought he was. I guess I thought his stuff was around when I was a kid - that style of art definitely was. Loved seeing the tiki mug collection.

I don't mean this as a knock against Dirty Donny at all, but his work borrows pretty heavily from a lot of past masters. I love that the tradition is being carried on, and it's a great fit for pinball, but it's easy to see why you'd think he was some old school guy who's been around a lot.

Here's hoping Stern is noticing all the positive attention using original art is bringing to their product and that they realize that continuing to bring in great artists for their tables is going to trump photoshopping up PR stills!

#24 10 years ago

Very cool...thanks for posting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-dirty-donny-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.