Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Whistles
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231119_103520 (resized).jpg
    deck.pdf (PDF preview)
    IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0022 (resized).JPG
    20231029_174258 (resized).jpg
    20231029_174242 (resized).jpg
    20231029_174209 (resized).jpg
    20231029_174231 (resized).jpg
    san-clemente-waterproof-job (resized).jpg
    20231027_180228 (resized).jpg
    DSCN8465 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7113 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7112 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20220913_203631094 (resized).jpg
    20231011_181752 (resized).jpg
    #1 8 months ago

Post your deckwork! This is Cabot oil based stain from Ace called Mohogany Flame.

20231027_003446 (resized).jpg20231027_003446 (resized).jpg
    #2 8 months ago

I was ready to share pics as I misread deck…sorry

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Post your deckwork! This is Cabot oil based stain from Ace called Mohogany Flame.
    [quoted image]

cedar deck?

#4 8 months ago

That is so nice you wouldn't want to put it outside.

John

#5 8 months ago

Location, location, location…

IMG_3037 (resized).jpegIMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
    #8 8 months ago

This is just one giant deck measuring contest.

#9 8 months ago

I'm willing to bet I have the worst deck on pinside. Never let methheads build your deck.

#10 8 months ago

Just picked up the blue one, pretty stoked
    I love my decks, make me feel happy every time I walk by them

IMG_20220913_203631094 (resized).jpgIMG_20220913_203631094 (resized).jpg
    #11 8 months ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Location, location, location…[quoted image]

Thats gorgeous man! Bet you really hear all the birds.

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Just picked up the blue one, pretty stoked
    I love my decks, make me feel happy every time I walk by them [quoted image]

Love the old school boards. Reminds me of my old Powell Peralta...watching Gleaming the Cube and Police Academy 4 just for the skate scenes.

#13 8 months ago

Embarrassed to say...I don't know.

#14 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm willing to bet I have the worst deck on pinside. Never let methheads build your deck.

Pics or it didn't happen. JK But seriously, I've gotta see this.

#15 8 months ago

You know if you trim the bushes around your deck it makes it look bigger.

#16 8 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This is just one giant deck measuring contest.

So far Woody takes the Championship on the giant deck contest. Dude has a fitting name for it too.

#17 8 months ago

Another vote for Woody. I don't know if that's a resort or private home? Either way it's awesome!

#18 8 months ago

My deck is extra cool today, thanks to an early winter storm.

IMG_7112 (resized).jpegIMG_7112 (resized).jpegIMG_7113 (resized).jpegIMG_7113 (resized).jpeg
    #19 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Thats gorgeous man! Bet you really hear all the birds.

Yep, that's my morning coffee spot before I open the arcade and hear monkey flipping all day instead of the birds.

Quoted from Sandman33:

So far Woody takes the Championship on the giant deck contest.

Sorry, that's not even close.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

My deck is extra cool today, thanks to an early winter storm. [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice. I'm in no rush for snow. It was 22 degrees here in Halifax yesterday

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I was ready to share pics as I misread deck…sorry

#22 8 months ago
    DSCN8465 (resized).JPGDSCN8465 (resized).JPG
    #23 8 months ago

Rained, doing a good job of keeping the water out.

20231027_180228 (resized).jpg20231027_180228 (resized).jpg
    #24 8 months ago
    Quoted from Steve_d71:

I'm in no rush for snow. It was 22 degrees here in Halifax yesterday

We went from unseasonably warm to snow, so quite the rude awakening. Unfortunately it will impact construction timelines, as they were to be making progress today and over the weekend.

#25 8 months ago

Location, location, location…

san-clemente-waterproof-job (resized).jpgsan-clemente-waterproof-job (resized).jpg
    #26 8 months ago

How about giant illuminated deck legs? LUMADECKZZ...YOU NEED THESE!

#27 8 months ago

on an actual on topic post.....ive stained many Decks throughout the years for my customers....i hate doing them. some require tons of prep im just not interested in doing them anymore.

But Man! Cabots oil based semi-transparent stains are the Fucking Bomb!

#28 8 months ago

I traded CrazyLevi a Gorgar plus cash for an Austin Powers on that very street. Nothing like loading and unloading pins in midtown Manhattan. I was a bit early, so I parked and walked over to Chelsea Pier. As I was walking back, I started to cross the street and this old lady on a bike in full biking gear screams at me, “Get out of the way,” as I step off the curb and she whizzes past me. I’m standing there, and there is another walker next to me, so I say, “Don’t pedestrians have the right of way?” She says, “Yea. Except here.”

#29 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Pics or it didn't happen. JK But seriously, I've gotta see this.

I snapped a few pics. Honestly I don't even know where to begin. I just wanted one bigger deck up top, but they kept saying this 3 deck bullshit. So yeah 3 decks at weird heights. Reused my old staircase. So many weird things and poorly done things. The deck is dangerous. My fave is the pier blocks that the legs of the deck are supposed to slide into but they were the wrong size so they just flipped them upside down and partially buried them. The upper level the legs are just on the bare ground. This whole thing was actually way worse but me and my friend made a couple mods to get it in a little better shape. Don't ask why I allowed this to even happen, it's a long story. The only good news is that it was dirt cheap, except for the fact I need to tear it all off and have an all new one built. Getting me by for a year or two I guess, slightly less dangerous than the one it replaced

20231029_174209 (resized).jpg20231029_174209 (resized).jpg20231029_174231 (resized).jpg20231029_174231 (resized).jpg20231029_174242 (resized).jpg20231029_174242 (resized).jpg20231029_174258 (resized).jpg20231029_174258 (resized).jpg
    #30 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The upper level the legs are just on the bare ground.

My favorite part. Load bearing posts on bare ground with a downspout extension aimed at them, and upper midwestern freeze/thaw cycles, what could go wrong? (No offense, just sharing in the misery of shoddy work, we've all been there.)

I paid probably too much for a highly-rated deck builder, was shocked in a good way at how deep they poured footings under the concrete pad at the bottom of the stairs. I'm an idiot, didn't even know those had anything under 'em.

#31 8 months ago

I designed and my brother and I built this deck at my previous house. I was pretty pleased with the results. Getting the Trex to follow the radiuses was a challenge. The 2x8s underneath were even worse!

IMG_0021 (resized).JPGIMG_0021 (resized).JPG

IMG_0022 (resized).JPGIMG_0022 (resized).JPG

IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPG

#32 8 months ago

I just found the layout I had submitted to the Architectural Committee of the HOA. Surprisingly, they passed it first round. They were notorious for requiring painstaking revisions.

deck.pdfdeck.pdf

Edit: We used a two man auger for drilling out the post holes for the 4x4 salt-treated posts. Past the first six inches of topsoil it was all hard clay. We went to four feet, and that took us below the water table. It was a full day of drilling, and brutal work. I think we ended up using 3+ bags of concrete each post. That deck was so overbuilt that it should outlive the house!

#33 8 months ago

Location, location, location…[quoted image]

The Blue Ridge mountain area of GA is gorgeous, we rented a house in the mountains for a week this summer and really enjoyed it. But man, the one lane road you had to take to get to it was at a pretty steep incline and had a bunch of blind corners. I kept hoping I didn’t run into a car going the other way, luckily there weren’t many houses located off of it.

2 weeks later
    #34 8 months ago

Got the 2nd coat on

20231119_103520 (resized).jpg20231119_103520 (resized).jpg
    #35 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Got the 2nd coat on
    [quoted image]

Sometimes less is more...unless were trying to encapsulate that wood for future study.

#36 8 months ago

Agreed, but we put 1 coat on last year and it wore off fast. Looked terrible after just 8 monts, so we put 2 coats on this time hoping it lasts longer.

#37 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Agreed, but we put 1 coat on last year and it wore off fast. Looked terrible after just 8 monts, so we put 2 coats on this time hoping it lasts longer.

Yeah just looking by the vegetation you may be in a high average temp fluxuation climate which is also hard on stains and wood.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.