fhink.jpg
HighScores6.jpg
HighScores7.jpg
HighScores5.jpg
300-1.jpg
Card_Trix_009.jpg
Card_Trix_008.jpg
Card_Trix_007.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Gonzo as soon as I could do it.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

That's history... I would clear over it to preserve.

Using that logic, no game would ever get restored as it's all history.

Water damaged cab? Hey, it's part of the history of the game. Someone took a crow bar to the front door? More history. Broken backglass? Same thing.

If someone put that on the side of your house, would you just leave it there?

That might be interesting to me if it was on a crapper wall. Other than that, no.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That is awesome!
I would NEVER remove that.
E

Can we come over and scribble on your games then?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Add a poll...did you plan on restoring the game 100%? If not, I would keep....what else are you going to do? OF COURSE the guys that repaint every single game they get to make it look like it is in a factory showroom are going to hate it...if that's you, repaint, if not, it's a great piece of history/folk art...people pay money for that stuff.

I repaint them when they need repainting. Some of them have been repainted, others haven't. I'm not averse to originality one bit. Truthfully, I'd rather have them in nice original condition, it's way less work.

But this isn't originality. That's not how the game came from Gottlieb.

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I am really surprised at the vastly different opinions on the subject.Part of the appeal of the older games for me is their history, where they have been, what they have seen and survived...I like the "snapshot" of the time when they were still a big part of our culture. To me removing all evidence of that is a shame. From the looks of this game in particular though, this artwork was probably done after it was off route...the whole side was painted white and then the art applied. I cant see that being done in a bowling alley or arcade so I am less excited about it in terms of its back story.

As I pointed out earlier, by this logic, no game would ever be restored. No matter what happened to it, it would continue to just be played as is until it collapsed into a pile of junk on the floor.

I see nothing cool at all about that.

Car collectors like original cars with patina. That doesn't mean they're going to collect and then let sit a 1953 Corvette that has "Yo mama" spray painted on the side.

I think you're failing to differentiate between history of a game under normal wear and tear conditions vs someone just messing a game up. That doesn't constitute history.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That logic would also require every game to be repainted though right? If it went past the fungible definition of normal wear?
Car analogy doesn't really work...people don't write on cars typically...they do write on arcade/vending. Actually, a high score scratched in or a little art on a pinball could be considered the equivalent of car "patina".
Either you like it or you don't...this isn't a right or wrong issue. I watch some of those antique/collector shows and some of the stuff people buy I wouldn't cross the street to get...but they like it.
Either way, if the game has been repainted in that area and then the pictures scratched in--that takes away from the originality factor if that side doesn't match the rest of the game...

No, it wouldn't require every game to be repainted. I'm differentiating between wear and tear on a game as part of the normal use, against someone just deliberately screwing around with it like in this case.

I've already stated that I'm fine with original games that have some bumps and bruises due to normal wear and tear of them being on location. I own a couple like that. I dont like the high scores carved into the head but I could even be persuaded that it's part of the playing history of the game.

What was done on this game has nothing at all to do with the playing history of the game. They could have drawn Lee and Grant at Appomattox and I'd think the same thing-it has nothing to do with the game at all.

Like I asked before, would you think it was cool if that was drawn on the side of your house?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-cab-graffiti?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.